Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

toilet training

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
We're toilet training Carrot: We put part of a box with bedding in it where he usually goes to the bathroom (in the back of my room) and I put a few poops in it. Every time he poops on the floor, I'll put it in the box. I'm hoping he'll eventually learn.

Any other things we could do?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Don't think that he will poop in the box, piggies almost unsubcontiously poop. He might learn to pee in it, though. Why don't you get him a friend?

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
My piggies are completely litter trained, but they still poop everywhere. I do have more poops in the litters than I do on there fleece, but I will never get rid of them completely. The best you can hope for is that he will pee in the litter box. My trick to training them was not to wash there litter pans all of the time, but just to change the bedding. This way there was still a little smell coming from the litter pans after their cage was cleaned, so they automatically went there to go to the bathroom. If there is a place that he usually goes in the cage, where you don't want him to, try changing around the cage a little. Mine love to go in there hidey houses, so I make sure that their houses are in a different spot everytime I clean the cage, so that they don't get to use to going in the exact same spot.

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
Ok. I'll continue the training. Thanks, suzy and slap for the replies.

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
My pig poops in her litter box and everywhere else. She mostly pees in the box, but sometimes in a corner.

pookczek

Cavy Slave
My little experiment of putting the hay rack above the litter box works about 90% of the time for pee's and about 85% of the time for poos. Of course, this is only after 2 days :)

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
That would not work for me because my piggies rarely go to the bathroom when they eat hay. I have my hay rack over an old pastic second level to a pet store cage and I only have to wash it every couple of weeks. I just shack the hay off of it everyday, but it never gets dirty.

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
Cute pigs.

pookczek said:
My little experiment of putting the hay rack above the litter box works about 90% of the time for pee's and about 85% of the time for poos. Of course, this is only after 2 days :)

Alanas

Cavy Slave
This is my first day with toilet training, I have my new cage built, a beautiful blanket in the bottom of the cage, and a cardboard box with one end cut off for the litter box in the corner with paper bits and some poos and all, and you know what they did? They relaxed and played in the box together and did wee's and poo's on the blanket. HELP!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You can't necessarily train a pig to use a litter box, they either will or will not go in it. Expecting a pig to only poo in a litter box exclusively is like winning a $10,000,000 lottery everyday of the year.

SugarBear

Cavy Slave
The Pigs like to potty in "private", so you'll have more luck if you have a covered litter box in the cage, and you put the poops in there. Mine favors the actual Litter Box as a bed, and she poops and pees in the old shoe box. When I clean out the shoe box I leave just a little of the wet litter in there on top of the new litter so she'll be encouraged to continue using it as a litter box. I also put litter under their hidey houses because I can't seem to get her to stop peeing in there as long as it's covered.

Here's another good trick if your piggy has free run of your room - put a paper bag in each corner of the room, or wherever your piggy pottys.

If that doesn't work try covering the entire half of the cage with litter and put the CLEAN blanket on the opposite side. Gradually move the litter back until you get it into the area you want him/her to potty, but make sure you always leave some of their scent in the potty area.

Alanas

Cavy Slave
The toilet training was with reguards to my allergies, some one told me to try training them to WEE in the litter box so that when they run around in the rest of the cage the particles I am allergic to in the urine don't become airborne as much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.