Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Todd, Max, and Chase moved to their new cage!!! Help with bedding please!

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
So I got only 3 hours of sleep last night, but Todd, Max, and Chase (my rescued boars) have moved from their 4.5 square foot prison to their HUGE 3X5 C&C cage! (Granted, it does not look as near as good as the cages I see on here!) I'm going to use some extra coro and build a kitchen, with carefresh and their little hay bin I made for them (it's like a trough lol).

Only thing is (not really thinking at 2am in the morning), this is the layers I have for bedding, now I'm thinking it's not the best? (I got it all at Walmart, very tight budget)
Bottom- Thick felt fabric
Middle- Towels (I got 5 towels total, it's 2 towels thick)
Top- Fleece (I got 3 pieces, in a couple places, it over laps)

A few questions:
1. That's not thick enough, is it?

2. If I pick up their droppings 2x a day, how often should I take everything out and wash it?

3. When I get paid (next Fri), any ideas for something that would be super cheap and would work better than my current layers? (Esp given the large size of my new cage?) Something easy to handle/no sow, I have to use my apts small coin washing machines so it can't be large. Preferably, I would only have to wash stuff once a week (it's expensive to do laundry ~$2.50 a load)

Sorry if these are really dumb questions, I read some old posts but I wasn't finding exactly what I needed, and my brain is not working now. Bright side, they all have been POPCORNING!. They seem much happier, playing with each other, follow the leader, chasing around, actually running, sleeping out in the open curled up on the fleece :love: ❤️

Thanks so much!!! :)

I use (broken link removed) under the fleece. You can get those for about 8 dollars and one should cover your cage. You can cut it to smaller strips if you need too.

Post some pictures of the new cage when you get a chance!

I use (broken link removed) under the fleece. You can get those for about 8 dollars and one should cover your cage. You can cut it to smaller strips if you need too.

Post some pictures of the new cage when you get a chance!

Darn I should of just got those and waited to go on Monday to the Uhaul store and get them. But I just felt SOOO bad having them in their tiny little prison. Would of been cheaper than my all the towels and stuff (oh well, bright side, I'll get the uhaul pads, and keep the towels for people use, we need more towels anyways).

I'll probably just suck it up and sew it together with the fleece cause the two younger boys discovered they like to borrow in the fleece.

Speaking of fleece, I never knew there were different types, I am worried I got the wrong ones?

I just got fleece scraps in a scrap bin, about a yard of each, the stickers say "Double Side Fleece" and the other two say "Fleece Solid." Is this okay fleece?

As for pics, right now my living room is an absolute disaster area, and their cage doesn't look very good, definately a work in progress. The cover is a mismatch of hamster pen panels, white shelving, and the black cubes. But I'll take some pics for a before and after thing :)

i do 2 layers of newspapers, 1 layer of towels, and a layer of fleece for 2 female guinea pigs

I use 2 layers of uhaul pad and one layer of polar fleece.
The uhaul pads are awesome....I use a dustbuster twice a day to spot clean poop and hay. I wash all the layers once a week...and even then I really don't notice any smell...but by then the fleece needs to be wash because they have shed on it and there is hay ect. on it.

hey i just realized your name is dani_starr. you wouldnt happen to be on aquariacentral would you?

hey i just realized your name is dani_starr. you wouldnt happen to be on aquariacentral would you?

Haha yep yep! I love AC! However, I ended up selling my 55 gal in order to have room for my cavies cage lol. I still have my 29 gallon though.

I use 2 layers of uhaul pad and one layer of polar fleece.
The uhaul pads are awesome....I use a dustbuster twice a day to spot clean poop and hay. I wash all the layers once a week...and even then I really don't notice any smell...but by then the fleece needs to be wash because they have shed on it and there is hay ect. on it.

I think this is what I'll be doing now instead :) Polar fleece, is that the best one to use? Is double sided fleece okay?

Haha yep yep! I love AC! However, I ended up selling my 55 gal in order to have room for my cavies cage lol. I still have my 29 gallon though.
haha small world. im about to downsize on fish tanks too. just too much work right now.

I'm not sure but I would think the "double sided" is referring to two pictures one on each side? Solid is probably a solid color isn't it? Most fleece works well just make sure to wash and dry it 3 times before using it. Wash it with a non-softener laundry soap and a cup of white vinegar. Do not use a drier sheet when drying it. This will cause it to repel water which is the opposite of what you want it to do. =)

haha small world. im about to downsize on fish tanks too. just too much work right now.

I know the feeling. What's your name on AC? (if ya don't mind me asking?)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.