Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Today's Floor Time!

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone!

Just thought I would let you know that I did some floor time with the girls today. We had a fun (perhaps you could call it that) time! I say this because it is only one of the first times we did floor time.

__

A few notes:

The piggies just sat there..... in their hideys....... Doing nothing........ Oh well! This is normal for the first few times, right?

They had lots of lettuce and Cilantro spread around. IT WAS ALL GONE WHEN WE WERE DONE! Haha.

I let them eat their lunch on floor time.

I used U-Haul pad and a fleece blanket for bedding. It worked great! We even had a little spill of a glass of water and our pad absorbed it right up!

It was somewhat easy to get the Piggies to floor time. I need some help with this, though:

1: I am using their vet carrier..... It is making things difficult to transport them to and from play time. SO, I am most likely going to use the elevator method. What kind of box should I aim for? Like, how big? Also, because I am going to be using a shoe box, is it OK to only take them one at a time to their pen?

2: I know people say this ALL the time..... But I HATE hearing my Piggies squeal! They get scared when we try to get them to floor time..... Should I first do lap time, and then move on to floor time? I might be moving a bit too fast. I hope not though.

3: How can I get my Piggies motivated to come out?

4: How often for floor time? Does it SERIOUSLY have to be EVERY DAY for an hour? I can give them floor time multiple times a week, but not every day for an hour....... I am on Spring Break right now, so I may be able to.

5: I just wanted to know: Is all of this normal behavior for piggies? I mean, the squealing, not letting you get them into their box/carrier to go to floor time, just sitting their when at floor time? Also, when using the elevator method...... My piggies just keep running around and avoiding me whenever I try to shoo them into the shoe box....... How can I catch them easier while still using the shoe box?

___

Thanks everyone! This is basically the last aspect that I need to cover with my Piggies. I really want them to grow accustomed to me and not be super scared to be held....... How and what can I do?

Thanks again!

I cant really help you much as mine run from me. I would say put their veggies in box and wait for them to go in and start eating. Lift them out. I did my first free range floor time today. They did okay and It wasnt to hard to catch them. most of the time they were eating their veggies but i let them run around the bedroom a bit. They didnt do to much either though.

Thanks Boofp!

Also, how to get them back home to their cage? Just repeat the same shooing process?

I think pigs should get floor time every day, but that's me. I'm not sure how often experts would tell you to do it.

I try to handle them on my lap for a bit before I put them into their floor-time area. Get them used to being handled. One of my pigs refuses to be in my lap without a struggle unless he's in a shoe box. I've had him for a year and he has decided he's just not the cuddly type! I still handle him in the box everyday just to give him a nice look over.

I lay down foot stools and PVC piping with wheatgrass and veggies put in different parts. I think it helps get them moving around.

I think pigs should get floor time every day, but that's me. I'm not sure how often experts would tell you to do it.

I try to handle them on my lap for a bit before I put them into their floor-time area. Get them used to being handled. One of my pigs refuses to be in my lap without a struggle unless he's in a shoe box. I've had him for a year and he has decided he's just not the cuddly type! I still handle him in the box everyday just to give him a nice look over.

I lay down foot stools and PVC piping with wheatgrass and veggies put in different parts. I think it helps get them moving around.

Thanks!

I would love some more answers and opinions people!

Afraid To Pick Up Piggies......

Well, I have had my 2 Piggies for 4 months now, so they are eight months old, and I really am kind of desperate here.

We have come SOOOOOOO FARRRRR already! It makes me happy to know. They are both outgoing now and I love them soooo much no matter what.

The last hump we have to get over is handling. They get floor time when possible and it will be more often when they are used to being held.

__

When I pick my Piggies up, they scream, and I hate to hear them scream. HATE IT! I am not hurting them right? I just feel so bad about it.

What are some tips on shooing my pigs into a shoe box? I try, but they always avoid me. I take their hideys out of their cage so they can't hide anywhere, but then they always run around the cage and stuff...... Tips here?

General handling tips. Thanks!

Re: Afraid To Pick Up Piggies......

I have a screaming pig too. I approach him very slowly and from an angle where he can see my hand coming at him. If he looks too scared, I make sure to move my hand around his bedding (in front of him) first to give him a chance to smell me. Then I slowly pick him up. Avoid approaching from above and in time your pigs will learn to be okay with being picked up. They might cry out a few times at first- but do everything with very exaggerated slow movements. No predator would ever attack an animal slowly, so they will end up being more curious about what you want than afraid of you.

Your not hurting them, they're just scared. Guinea pigs are prey animals, making them easily startled and always on the lookout (my boys seem to think hawks will attack them in my house during floor time).
Let them sniff you, get used to you, talk gently and pet them a little (food is always a great help too).
I could never get my pigs to go into a shoe box, but I have read that bribing them with food is a great way to get them in it.

They're trying to psych you out so you won't pick them up. Ignore the screams and handle them as much as possible. They'll realize there's no reason to be scared and will probably stop screaming.

One way to quickly pick them up is to let them run into a house or pigloo. Hold the pigloo down with one hand, and with the other reach into the pigloo, put your hand under the pig (by touch of course, since you can't see in there). Remove the pigloo (I usually kind of tip it over) and use both hands to pick up the pig.

The more you pick up your pigs, the more they will get used to it. Like pinky said, ignore the screams! You are not hurting them.

One way to quickly pick them up is to let them run into a house or pigloo. Hold the pigloo down with one hand, and with the other reach into the pigloo, put your hand under the pig (by touch of course, since you can't see in there). Remove the pigloo (I usually kind of tip it over) and use both hands to pick up the pig.

The more you pick up your pigs, the more they will get used to it. Like pinky said, ignore the screams! You are not hurting them.

What do you mean "put your hand under the pig"

Just slide my hand under the pig? And then grasp it?

Also, my hideys have 2 entrances/exits. Should I block one of the exits?

ZUIDY EDIT: Also, did I seriously accidentally reply here instead of posting a new thread? OOPS! I changed the topic but really I meant to create a new thread.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.