Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mattress Pad Today is the day!

new2piggies01

Cavy Slave
The 7 year old and I are getting ready to head out to Lewisville for choroplast and other goodies we can find at Texas Rustlers!
Then it's home for C&C construction and fleece fun. I have a question about bedding. I can either pick up a couple Uhaul blankets or I actually have the funds to purchase some mattress pads from Walmart. Should I go that route since I have the money right now? I was going to pick up two "crib pads", they are 100% cotton with a vinyl backing. The ad says they can hold up to 8 cups of fluid! (Not that I plan on testing the theory.)
Walmart.com: KID-DING - Waterproof Ultra-Soft Quilted Crib Mattress Pad: Bedding & Decor

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Whichever one you like. 100% Poly for the fleece and 100% cotton for the absorbent layer. Have fun!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Wow! that is cool. I think it should be 100% polyester, though. Here is a thread that is good:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

It is all about fleece. You should ask questions too.
Hope I helped.

The fleece should be 100% polyester, but the absorbant material underneath not be polyester as polyester is not absorbant.

That mattress pad should be fine although depending on what size you are making your cage it would be cheaper to get one queen size or one king to make 2 sets.

You can get 2 sets for a 2x6 cage plus 2 1x2 pads from a king size mattress pad.

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
I think what people are referencing is that someone a while back did a test and found that after a while, cotton batting tended to smell really bad when it was used as an absorbent layer, but the polyester batting smelled fine. I think something like this would be fine, though.

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
I'm using poly/cotton mattress pads and no smell and good absorbancy (sp?)
Poly doesn't absorb like cotton though. But fleece is definitely 100% poly so the urine whicks through.
Post pics of new cage!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.