Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior to squeak or not to squeak

guineamommaof2

Cavy Slave
I went to give my two guineas some hay before I went to bed. It's something I always do at night. They are both hay burners. I started to pick up the bag and my younger of the two started squeaking. Then I got an idea. I told my fiancee to give them their hay and see what their reaction would be. He got nothing. George came running over to start eating but no squeaks or nothing. My fiancee was almost insulted. I do normally give them their hay. Could that be way they didn't squeak at him? Fred, our other one squeaks when he hears the food jar.

It's simply because he's not normally a source of food, you are.
If he also rarely interacts with them, they aren't as comfortable with him yet. No need to get insulted, just ask him to keep feeding them at bedtime.

My pigs rarely squeak when I give them their veggies, which I do at set times. They don't see the point to put that effort into something they know they will get anyway. They do however squeak for unexpected veggie snacks.

I swear my piggies hear my feet hit the floor in the morning,because as soon as i'm awake they start squeaking and won't stop until they get thier veggies. They do the same thing at supper time. My husband is always amazed he keeps asking me if they hear the dishes or if they smell the veggies.

He interacts more with George then Fred. Fred's a Momma's boy and George well, he's about 3 months old. So, he's still not sure about most things yet. And George is the one that normally squeaks when he hears the hay bag. Fred is most content to sit on my shoulder or my lap where George is still almost scared but not scared. Plus they are both small and he's not use to small animals like they are. I'll keep that in mind.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.