Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece To Sew Together or Not to Sew Together?

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
I am trying to decide whether to sew my fleece together with the towels I use, or keep them separate?
I currently use 2 towels with fleece on top, and I change it twice a week, and sweep it daily ( sometimes twice a day).
I have 2 sets of fleece I use, and 2 sets of towels I use. I thought maybe it would be easier to pick them up and beat them if they were sewn together. But will they get just as clean? This is actually my 2nd week doing Fleece, and I love it so far, but it does have more of an odor ( Thats why I change it more) but I like how it looks and it is much cleaner!
Thanks!

madrae

Cavy Slave
I decided not to sew my fleece to my absorbent layer. This way I can change my fleece patterns more - I'm obsessed with all the cute patterns out there!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
honestly i think sewing is a really easy idea. BUt if you're not sure, someone on this forum had this brilliant idea of using binder clips and clipping the layers together! i thought it was sheer genius XD

i think after a few more washes the fleece should work better and it will smell less. it did for me at least :) either that or i got used to the smell! XD

Amy262

Cavy Slave
I keep them separate because they dry so much quicker if not together. I like washing my fleece in one load and the towels in a separate load.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
I've read on other threads that people had trouble getting their towels to dry completely. This seems to be less of a problem with Uhaul pads and mattress covers. Maybe do a little digging through the old threads too.

Amy262

Cavy Slave
One thing I did do, was make pee pads with fleece/towel/fleece. I put the pee pads under their hidey huts. Fleece on either side with a towel in the middle. They measure about 11x14. I replace these every single day. It really helps keep the odor down, because they do pee and poop where they sleep. By switching those out every day, there is basically no smell, and I only have to change out the entire fleece bedding set once a week. The pee pads that I made take a lot longer to dry than fleece alone or towels alone.

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
Congrats on joining the "Fleece Crew"! lol Sewing your fleece to your towels is almost always a bad idea. I use the same method (one fleece per two towels), and I machine wash my towels and fleece with a detergent that is free of dyes and perfumes and is pet safe. When you sew the two together, and try to machine wash them, the stitching will almost always tear. If you intend to hand wash your fleece and towels, then go for it! It might help in the organization of your fleece and towels.

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll put off sewing them together. Also, I wash my fleece and towels with Vinegar ( someone on a different forum told me too try it) Could that effect the smell? I'll look at UHaul blanks too! What does fleece 2 towels, fleece do differently? Thanks!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.