Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General To neuter or not?

pawner69

Cavy Slave

Hello. I need advice. I have three girls ages 3, 6, and 6. We just rescued an adorable 1 year old boy piggy. It's crazy but intros were an instant hit.

Question is do we need to neuter him before he can live permanently with the girls or are they too old to breed?

I don't want to put him through unnecessary surgery but I definitely don't want any hanky panky. I know all of you will know the correct thing to do. Oh and he currently has his own cage. He just gets supervised visitation. ;)

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
What do you mean intros were instant hit? Did you already put him with the girls? You are risking getting them pregnant. Never put an intact male with any intact females.

If you want them to live together, get him neutered.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Supervised visitation will result in pregnant sows. It takes three seconds, or less, for a male to impregnate a female. You could sneeze and miss the whole thing. Please do NOT let them visit unless and until you get him fixed. And you have to wait 3-4 weeks after the surgery for all the sperm to die off.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Hello. I need advice. I have three girls ages 3, 6, and 6. We just rescued an adorable 1 year old boy piggy. It's crazy but intros were an instant hit.

Question is do we need to neuter him before he can live permanently with the girls or are they too old to breed?

I don't want to put him through unnecessary surgery but I definitely don't want any hanky panky. I know all of you will know the correct thing to do. Oh and he currently has his own cage. He just gets supervised visitation. ;)

You already put them together? You better hope they aren't pregnant because at their ages it's extremely dangerous to have babies.

Why don't you get him a male friend instead of making him go through surgery.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! We will just keep them as "neighbors" then. I didn't know it could happen that fast. Thankfully there was no mounting so we should be safe and definatley wont take any more chances.

I knew you would all have the best advice! Thank you so much.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
We will just keep them as "neighbors" then.

You'll need a lid on the females' cage, so the male cannot get in.

If you have a good vet, I think it's better to get him neutered.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I just got my male, Ikarus, neutered and it was a bit pricey ($145) but he recovered quickly with no complications. As long as you stay on top of post op care he should be fine :) Post op care was pretty routine and consisted of a 1 week round of antibiotics (bactrim) and 3-5 days of pain meds (meticam) 2 times a day each, changing his bedding 3 times a day and cleaning the incision site with antiseptic (chlorhexidine based) every day (1-2 times a day). I kept him in a 1x2 grid cage (as instructed by my vet) to limit his movement to minimize any chance of him accidentally opening the incision until the incision site was healed enough for him to be back in his normal cage with his regular fleece bedding! Just be sure to keep him separated for a minimum of 2-3 weeks (4 is ideal) before introducing him to the girls because he could still have live sperm inside him after the neuter and can result in accidental pregnancies. I've got 2 more weeks before I reintroduce my male to my female, Freya, and their daughter Sigyn!
Best of luck to you, with whatever you decide!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Keep him separated longer than two weeks. Three is the absolute minimum, and four is better.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
So our boy is being neutered today. Hoping all goes well. I did have one more question. I purchased some Oxbow Critical Care to help him heal quicker. But...how do I give it to him. Do I just mix it with his pellets?

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I will keep him separated for the next month to be safe. I don't want any mistakes and I want him fully healed before running around with the girls. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He doesn't really need Critical Care unless he refuses to eat after the surgery. Most likely he'll be up and eating within just a couple of hours, but keep an eye on him. Weigh him when you get him home, and then morning and night for 2-3 days to make sure he isn't losing too much weight. A little weight loss is normal after surgery, but should stabilize very quickly.

It will also help to syringe him some water for a couple of days.

In his confined area, put the water bottle, pellet dish, and veggies very close to him so he doesn't have to move much to get to them.

And read http://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Puppy pee pads or white towel are best to keep him on to watch for drainage and blood, change 3 times or more a day. As lagertha said a 1x2 is perfect for the first week of healing. I then moved mine to a 2x2 for another week, then a normal size. I introduced mine at 3 1/2 weeks, I was lucky, no pregnancies came from the early intro. If I was you, I would wait as long as possible.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
Just a quick update. Surgery went great. Nilla woke up and ate right away. He is now home and went right to his water bottle and got a drink and then shoved his head in his hay and is happily munching away. I am very relieved. Thank you again everyone for all your advice.

He is now resting.

1435956443367 476150075

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
So glad to hear he is doing goood! :D Make sure that you're giving him at least 50 mg of vitmain C (through veggies or oxbow vitamin c supplements) to help him heal faster :) My little man LOVED the Oxbow vitamin C supplements! I only gave them to him because he is super picky with veggies and I wasn't sure he was going to get enough veg. If your boy likes a wide variety of veg then he won't need them, but if he is like my boy then they are a good supplement to have on hand :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.