Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

To neuter or not to neuter that is the question...

cavy_lover

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion is, based on your own experiences or the experiences of others whether or not to neuter my boar.

He will be neutered when he is 4 months old but I wanted to do it at 5 months just to be safe with his weight.

I wanted him to be neutered because then he could be with his mother, aunt and cousin. My three girls. I seperated him at 3 weeks of age and have kept him by himself in his own C & C cage next to the girls so he can still see them. I think he really misses them, but I am worried at the risks of neutering.

I thought of having him seperated permanetely and just getting another boar for him to play with, that way no neutering. Im not sure what to do? Should I neuter so he can be with his herd, or should I not and just get another boar?

Any help with making my decsion easier would be great!:cheerful:

pennick

Cavy Slave
From what I have read, your boy would most likely get along great with all the girls whereas, getting another boar could end up being a problem. Sometimes they don't get along.

I would get him neutered by a competant exotic vet and let him live with his harem.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I'd get him neutered, so he can stay with the girls. If you get another boy, you just have even more boys that you can't introduce to them.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
My Charlie went in to be neutered at 8am and was home by 4pm. Unless the operation doesn't go as smoothly as it most often does you should have your little guy back home by the end of the day. I heard that anaesthatizing a piggy hardly any more risky than anaesthatizing a cat. Also, think about how simple the procedure is compared with spaying sows.

It's up to you whether you neuter your boar; one thing I do have to say is that he's more likely to get along with a group of girlfriends than with another boar (although this is possible). I found that with Charlie - he adores having 3 girlfriends around him (although strictly speaking he thinks he's married to Lottie)!

cavy_lover

Cavy Slave
Thankyou all!

I already have a vet lined up, I will most likey get him neutered but I am still a bit hestitant because i'm worried even if it is a small chance that something could go wrong. I hope he's his happy in the long run with his girls, I pray he'll be okay ( First time piggie mum here)

I found that with Charlie - he adores having 3 girlfriends around him (although strictly speaking he thinks he's married to Lottie)! By cavy-cool-crazy

I would get him neutered by a competant exotic vet and let him live with his harem. By pennick

Lol you guys crack me uplol I always look at my boar and think he will be the little king surrounded by his queens lol

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I have a neutered boar living with four sows at the moment. He is happy as can be. It is definitely a good decision for the boar. It makes everyone quite happy.

C&K

Cavy Slave
One thing to consider against getting another boar is you would probably have to house them in a separate part of the house, away from the girls. If two boars can see or smell the girls, it often drives them crazy! They will fight and fight with no resolution. I would imagine that after all this time being in the same room with them, your little guy is going to want to be top pig, those are "his" sows in his head. I don't see him taking to kindly to any other competitions arrival on the scene.

cavy_lover

Cavy Slave
Thankyou so much all!!

I think it is best to get him neutered, based on all your opinions I think it will be benificial in the long run. If I did get another boar I would have 5 guinea pigs all up! Too many for me right now, and I think him being the only male ill make him one happy piggie.

Ill keep you updated on how everything goes. He will be neutered in January 2006 so I still have a while to wait.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If two boars can see or smell the girls, it often drives them crazy! They will fight and fight with no resolution.
That's not true. It doesn't always happen. I had two boars living next to my girls before and they didn't fight nor did they act aggressive or go crazy when the girls were in heat. They would just sit next to the divider grids and chew bars occasionally. I think that is becoming as much of a wives tale as two males won't get along. It all depends on the boars personalities.

Neutering does have risks but if performed by a good exotics vet, chances are that everything will go well.

C&K

Cavy Slave
That's not true. It doesn't always happen. I had two boars living next to my girls before and they didn't fight nor did they act aggressive or go crazy when the girls were in heat. They would just sit next to the divider grids and chew bars occasionally. I think that is becoming as much of a wives tale as two males won't get along. It all depends on the boars personalities.

Then I'll stop spreading it.
But if it can happen, I think it needs to be adressed, and the pros and cons, likelyhood / unlikelyhood for problems determined. I think Sabriel has two boars living in a condo with several females come to think of it... Sorry if I am wrong about that too!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm not saying it doesn't happen at all, it does sometimes. But it's not what I would call the norm. It's like the wives tale that two boars will always fight. We know that isn't always the case. It depends on the boars and many boars can live in pairs, trios and herds and never fight but there are some who will fight no matter what. It's the personality of the boar and his aggressiveness that lead to fighting. The boars weren't paired on their personalities and when you put two aggressive boars together and one doesn't back down, there will be fighting.

It can be addressed, but I just don't want it to be said that you cannot house boars next to sows. Like I said, it all depends on the boars. Some members have had experiences where their boars went a little nuts living next to sows and other members have had good experiences with boars living next to sows.

C&K

Cavy Slave
It can be addressed, but I just don't want it to be said that you cannot house boars next to sows. Like I said, it all depends on the boars. Some members have had experiences where their boars went a little nuts living next to sows and other members have had good experiences with boars living next to sows.

Understood! :D
Makes a lot of sense.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
Something else to consider - I had a bonded pair of neutered boars living in complete harmony with three girls until there was a small change in their housing with an overall reduction in space from 18 to 16 square feet. Even though the smaller house was only at night, the behaviour of one boar changed completely - he became a total sex maniac, mounting everything in sight continuously night and day. He had to be separated for everyone's good, and it looks as though he's going to have to go back to the rescue.

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
Go for some "Neuticles"! www.neuticles.com

By the way, I'm not trying to adverise for them or anything, heck, I'm not sure I'm all for the idea. I've just always wanted to say that! :D

ilovpiggiesthei

Cavy Slave
If the boar has not bred then give it a go with putting another boar in with him?
And also putting them under anasthetic is alot of strain on their heart. I lost one of my piggies due to this :( so from my experience i would not do it.
But thats in my opinion.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Neutering is quite safe if done by a knowledgeable vet but all surgery does carry a risk. However pairing up boars carries a risk too and I've seen plenty of bloodshed. Since there are already girls to put him with neutering seems the best option unless there's a plan for adopting future boars.
Keeping boars and sows near each other is not usually a problem. I've never actually heard of boys fighting just because the girls are nearby but it can probably happen. My 2 live underneath the girls and in the old cage setup Cinnamon could touch noses with them by standing on his house. That didn't make any difference in how much he and Orbit argued. I think they actually got along better because Cinnamon took out all his energy on trying to get the girls instead of annoying Orbit. Now that he can't reach the girls I'm having to expand the cage so he has more to do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.