Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

To neuter or not to neuter? That is my question!

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Haha, no pun intended, really.

Anyways, I am looking into possibly adopting this intact boar from a rescue listed on guineapighome. The lady I am corresponding with through email said that she didn't reccomend neutering because it is too invasive for such a small sized creature even though it would indeed be less invasive than spaying, in her opinion, and that she would just seperate them. I agree with her, but there is also a rescue called the Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue, and if you google that and look at their piggies for adoption, you'll read that they automatically spay and neuter their piggies that will go up for adoption. I contacted them once a while ago, and they responded by saying that their vet works very closesly with them, and they haven't had any fatalities since the beginning of their rescue.
I also contacted, a little while ago, the ACR&S small animal rescue, and they got back to me saying pretty much the same thing, that their vet is highly skilled, and so on and so on.

I don't have the space to seperate them in the same cage, or in totally diffrent cages, which would mean I would have to get another piggie for the adopted one, which I don't want to do. I just wanted to adopt only one piggie.

Now, there are other piggies, in fact she said about 30 available, but I was particularly interested in this little fella because he is a teddy, plus (this is so adorable, hold on to your seats lol): The hair on his butt end is longer, but still the wispy light teddy hair. Soooooo darn cute!

So, what is your opinion, and/or experiences with neutering guinea pigs?

Thanks a lot!!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
If you plan on housing him with a female, neuter the male. It is a less invasive procedure than spaying a female.

Fanch

Cavy Slave
I had my boar neutered back in october since his buddy had passed away and I had 2 female pigs. I spent the time finding a vet that had done the oporation many times and I felt comfortable with.
If you have a female and no other females take your fancy, I would for sure get him and neuter him.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Thank you everybody who has replied so far!
I don't want to argue with this lady though, but it wouldn't be right to adopt him and then have him neutered even though she said she didn't reccomend it, would it? I know, obviously, that he would have to be neutered if I adopted him, so unless she made me sign some sort of contract where I promised not to neuter him b/c of riskyness, than I could technically do that I guess......just feels dishonest to me, but its for the health of the new piggie and my resident piggies.

I'll do that too, look around and call vets until I find one that has done lots of successful cavy neuterings. I'll also ask about his/her fatality rate as a way of judging how skilled they are, just to be safe.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
Talk to her and be up front about your plans. Explain your reasons. If you have a vet picked out, give him as a reference. If she is totally against it then she has the option of refusing to adopt to you.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
While the procedure of neutering is less invasive than spaying, it is not without risks and is a decision that should be given serious consideration.

What is the reason you want this pig? Because he's cute or because he's in a situation he needs out of?

If he's in a good home and with an owner who can wait for the "right" home to come along, if he's being well cared for and loved, I don't think you should adopt him to neuter him and live with your girls if your only reason for wanting him is that he's cute.

The other thing to consider, if you're set on adopting this pig, is your confidence in the surgeon who would be doing the surgery. If you have a vet you have been seeing a long time and who has done many neuters, and can say with confidence that s/he can do the surgery with minimal risks, that's one thing. If your vet isn't experienced with pig neuters, then you probably either want to find one who is, or don't have the pig neutered.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I would just find another female to adopt. There are plenty of cute females out there too, and that way you can avoid surgery all together.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
What is the reason you want this pig? Because he's cute or because he's in a situation he needs out of?

If he's in a good home and with an owner who can wait for the "right" home to come along, if he's being well cared for and loved, I don't think you should adopt him to neuter him and live with your girls if your only reason for wanting him is that he's cute.

Well, can I ask you what your definition of the "right" home is? I'm not saying that the only reason that anyone ever adopts a guinea pig is because it is cute. I'm asking you what the reason for adopting any guinea pig from a rescue where it is already being taken care of well, but essentially just being fostered with like 29 other guinea pigs, waiting for it's forever home? What would the reason be then?

Also, you did say if, but you're assuming that that is the only reason I am interested in adopting him, without being in my shoes.
I mean, I'm just interested in knowing why you yourself, for example, would adopt a piggie from a rescue where it was already well-enough to do. It may be well enough to do in the rescue, but why is it there in the first place? Because it is unwanted. The rescue operater/owner doesn't want it, thats why he or she places the pig up for adoption, so hopefully it can find a more permanent home where someone can have some more time to spend with it, since the owner/operator of a rescue would probably be busy alot. Plus, the purpose of a rescue is not to collect as many piggies as possible, but to rehome as many piggies as possible.

Also, referring back to your "situation he needs out of" statement. I appreciate your concern, honestly, I do, so don't take my barage of questions the wrong way, but how exactly does any guinea pig in a no-kill rescue in a situation that it "needs" out of? I mean, of course it needs to go to a good, permanent home, thats what it needs, but rescues take excellent care of their piggies for adoption, and you kind of made it sound like he was in a dire/dangerous situation.....

Thanks for your insight though! I'm glad there are people out there who are as concerned about animal welfare as I am. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to let you know that I have been planning on getting another piggie for a while now, so this isn't an impulse decision. I have trouble making desicions oftentimes, so I tend to rarely ever make impulse decisons of any sort, hardly hardly ever. I know you had no way of knowing that, but I should still let you know.

akstrohm---That is a very good point, thank you. I am also really considering that too. I am about to go email her back and ask about sows she has that are in need of new homes, just in case.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If you're looking to adopt a pig from a rescue because you have the room and time for another pig, and you want to give a lifelong home to another one, that's great.

But if there are 30 or so other pigs available in the rescue you are looking at, why not adopt another female? Surgery wouldn't be necessary for you to take a female in to live with your herd and you'd be helping another piggy.

If he's in a rescue where he'll be adopted out to a good home, one who can take him to live with another male, perhaps, or a spayed female, and not subject him to invasive surgery, I think I would pass the pig by and let him get adopted by someone who could take him in without him having to have surgery.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
I agree about just adopting another female- much less risky than surgery, and it would be respectful of the rescue's wishes.

Yes, teddies are cute, but do you know of the health problems they can have? Most notably skin issues?

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
I will also advise opening your home to another female piggy.

You will not have to make that "what if" decision then.

Or

like Krittercrazy says, let the person decide if that male pig is for you or not by telling her your intentions to neuter.

GuineaPinny

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm a foster with Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue and I really wanted to give a plug for our rescue :eek:ptimist:

All of our guinea pigs are already spayed and neutered, which means you don't have to deal with any health issues, and there are actually benefits to the process described here: Why we Spay/Neuter Guinea Pigs

Here are just some of our available pigs right now: Available Guinea Pigs for Adoption

The great thing about a rescue is that they work to find a compatible pig for you *and* your pig. In theory, even if you got your teddy neutered, and he was able to live with your girl piggy, he might not be a good personality match-then you'd still have to adopt more pigs-and you'd have paid for the surgery and put him through it (when its not without risk!)

Going with an experienced rescue-like MGPR or The ACR&S: All Creatures Rescue and Sanctuary (like you mentioned) means going with a pig who's been health screened, quarantined, etc. And they work with you to find the pig that's compatible with your piggy.

All Creatures is a really great rescue too. I've been in love with this girl of theirs: Willow.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
You may have already decided what to do, but I figure I'll give my opinion anyway since I WAS in your situation with my, Bodie.

First, I'll tell you how the story ended... HAPPY! My neutered boy lives with his 4 beautiful girls, and he's happier than he's ever been, and the girls are too!

I was looking into adopting a boy because whenever my girls went into heat, they all humped each other like crazy, so I looked into getting a "fixed" boy. Well, where I live, I couldn't find one! All the ones that would be a good match, weren't already neutered and I spent over a month looking. I finally decide that I would pay for the surgery.

I found a good vet that's done many successful neuters before and that was in my price range.

I then looked at unaltered boys, and fell in love with the saddest eyes I saw on petfinder.com! I went and met him. I was completely taken with him! He had a sad story: the family before me held him and loved him, but didn't know how to properly CARE for him. The result... nails growing into the pads of his feet, hair loss, and poor nutrition. But, he was sweet as can be. I filled out the application, was approved, and brought him home the next day.

I took him to the vet right away for a check up (I trimmed down his nails very short first). The hair loss was due to poor nutrition and stress... it was just barbering. He was a little underweight too. I eventually scheduled the surgery for 5 weeks later. Now I waited THIS long for the surgery because I wanted to bound with him first, so he would trust me. They way I could also determine any other health problems too, but their weren't any. He also gained weight.

Surgery day came and I was really nervous, but he was fine.

Despite my constant cleaning of his hospital cage, and living on softest towels I could find, he developed an infection.

His "private area" swelled up to the size of a ping pong ball almost over night (after about a week). I took him in right away. He got an x-ray, a shot of pain meds, and some antibiotics to clear the infection, but it didn't work. (I also applied vaseline three times a day since it got red from him dragging it around). 2 weeks after his neuter he went under the knife again.

It ended up being a concentrated infection, and he had to leave the wound open to let the puss drain out. I had to apply topical antibiotics and give him oral ones as well. I had to force feed him a couple times, it was scary, but he made it and pulled through like the little trooper he is!

By the time he recovered from that surgery, I was able to move him in with the girls, and he was the happiest pig in the world. He spent 30 minutes strutting, popcorning, and running around before passing out in a corner.

Everyday he popcorns, struts, and is affectionate with my girls.

So, the decision to neuter or not to neuter should not be taken lightly, and can only be made by you. Keep in mind that there CAN BE COMPLICATIONS, I did EVERYTHING I was suppose to do to the letter, and he still got an infection, sometimes it's inevitable. But the payoff for my pigs, was amazing.

I only hope that my story can help you with your dilemma.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Nichols- Thank you for your story, that certainly is very helpful to me. And I haven't quite decided what exactly to do yet. I'm looking at several diffrent rescues now, like the ACR&S, which I had been looking into for a while, and I am going to look at that Metropolitan GP Rescue again.

Guineapinny- Thanks for mentioning the metropolitan gp rescue! I had nearly forgotten about them. Silly me! xD

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.