Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels To Loft a kitchen or not

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
I want to add a kitchen to a 4x2 cage and due to space constraints I can add more room if I go up instead of out if that makes sense. My girls are 6mos and 1 1/2 yrs if that matters. I'm thinking of adding a 2x2 loft and using that for the kitchen, that way they won't lose the floor space. I thought of adding it to the end of the cage but just isn't the room and I thought a 1x2 wasn't big enough. Can only add 1x2 to the end of the cage. Are there any problems that I could run into by moving the food area into a loft? Has anyone done this and had problems? Just trying to eliminate any foreseen problems. The motivation is to give them more room. They get to running around the cage right now and sometimes it sounds like there are 20 piggy's in there instead of 2. I know the food dishes and hay rack is cramping their fun. LOL I think they may just enjoy running up and down the ramp.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I think a 1x2 is big enough for a kitchen for 2 girls, that's what we have and there's been no issues, we just keep a pile of hay, water bottle, and food dish on each half of the kitchen.

From what I've heard, it can cause issues to have lofts in general and more so if it's the kitchen, if your piggies get territorial and decide to block one another from going up/down the ramp.

You could give it a shot, and if there's any issues, either make the 1x2 kitchen on the main level, or add a second ramp going to the top.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

CCcages

Cavy Slave
If more floor space is the goal, and if you can extend the footprint an additional 1x2 space (if I'm understanding you right) then my suggestion would be to get the 2x2 loft, but offset it onto the 1x2 space you have. The offset allows easier cleaning under a 2x2 loft, you gain a storage slot (you don't need a cubby bin to make it work, but does help with their supplies), and more importantly, allows you to give them the full 2x4 bottom to run laps. If you locate the kitchen on the second level, we recommend a canopy of some sort over the top to encourage them to use it. It gives them a sense of security. Even if you use a towel draped over the top. You also may want a cafe kitchen (should be plenty big two girls because it's actually larger than a 1x2 loft) to help keep the bedding from being tracked down the ramp, but it's not necessary.

Attachments

2x4-wideoffset.jpg

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
I think I'm gonna go with the offset 4x4 and if it doesn't work I can cut it down for a 1x2 kitchen. That way they still get the full 2x4 cage. Hopefully neither one will get too territorial. Right now the only thing they fight over is their hidy room, and that's sporadically. So fingers crossed. :)

speedskating

Cavy Slave
Good Luck! You could possibly add wider opening at the top of the loft to prevent territorial issues.

CCcages

Cavy Slave
Good luck! Sometimes it's good to have 3 hideys. One for each and one they share. As long as they don't use up too much space.

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
Funny you should say that. They usually hang out in the hidey room together, but occasionally Victoria gets a wild hair and chases Widget out. Here she is looking a little dejected. I tried to get her with her chin resting on the little carrot car, but she moved. They also have a tunnel and an pigloo to use. They move these around and make their own race courses. Fun to watch.

20160502_131326.jpg

CCcages

Cavy Slave
Awwww! so cute. She does look a little sad. I see that carrot car--is it all wood?

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
Awwww! so cute. She does look a little sad. I see that carrot car--is it all wood?

Yep it's all wood. Don't remember where it came from.

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
Think the pics with the two adult pigs was the deciding factor. A 1x2 is definitely a little cramped. Thanks for the pics, I love your setup and Handsome Piggies too.

xthoms

Cavy Slave
Good luck with the kitchen remodeling ;)

lisa325

Cavy Slave
The pics really show how much more sense having a 2 X 2 makes. Lovely setup :)

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
20160528_192314.jpg20160528_192229.jpg
Well this is what I ended up with. They both seem to like it. Victoria had to re-arrange the corral in the loft. They both seem to be comfortable going up and down the ramp but still a little timid of it. I Bought them two new beds and put under the loft. They were a big hit. Victoria proceeded to flip one around, chew on it, laid down to test it the popcorned around it. They both seem really happy with the new set up. Still have to put up their Forrest, but enough for today. We'll do that tomorrow.

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
I'm curious.....I see something that appears to be fasteners where the corners of the coro join? I hot glue mine but always like to know other creative methods.

They're Rivets. I went the lazy route and ordered the ramp, hay rack, corral, and base from Guinea Pig Cages Store. They do excellent work.

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
Update: The kitchen loft is a big success. The cage as a whole has stayed a lot cleaner, Victoria and Widget are running around like maniacs up and down the ramp and around the the bottom level. I've made some new liners for the loft and the corral which have worked out really great (posted in hot tips) and now I've got to get to work on getting their waterfall(?) maybe a forest cut and installed for them for their hidey room.

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
I'm curious.....I see something that appears to be fasteners where the corners of the coro join? I hot glue mine but always like to know other creative methods.

Just an FYI, I was looking for some rivets for my car and found the same rivets on Amazon today. Just do a search for nylon rivets and they should come up.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
The gp cages store (parent site) has "quick detach connectors" those are a life saver for me. We have a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft. I don't have the space to offset it (for now, once basement gets done, we may adopt another pair and do a herd with a ginormous cage), so it was such a pain to clean under. With the quick detach, the 2x2 loft has become a smaller space for the girls to go for cage cleaning. It lifts right off and I set it asside on the floor and then add the girls to clean the 2x4 base. It goes right back into place just as easily. I only mention in case you decide to go 2x5 with a 2x2 loft. ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
The rivets have male and female pieces that snap together.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
I discovered they are sold to be used with cardboard. Building cardboard buildings and such. I think I might order some for my granddaughter cause she is always trying to build with empty boxes and tape just doesn't work most of the time. They are two pieces and easily pop apart so you can use them over and over. Pretty cool actually. Here's what they look like and you can get them in different lengths and you don't need a tool.
21AF%2BihV5XL.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.