Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

to C or not to C That is the question??

ihtak

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs (2) have arrived and they are wonderful!! They have been getting Vitamin C in their water. I've read so many different things about the best way to give them C. Could you tell me how you do it and why?

Thanks!!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Definitely do not give them vitamins in their water. It honestly doesn't do it any good. The vitamins break down quickly when exposed to water and light, and it changes the taste of the water.

Generally, if you are feeding a good quality pellet that's fortified with vitamin C and give a good variety of veggies, you won't need a vitamin C supplement. If you find that you need to give extra C, you can give a piece of a human sugar free supplement, sugar free C drops, or Oxbow makes a vitamin C tablet that you can break in half to give your pig.

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
bell peppers or orange slices are excellent sources of C

cavygma
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
You can get vit c treats from Oxbow Pet Products | Welcome. I've only met 1 pig out of 11 that didn't just about take your fingers off to get one. Otherwise if your giving the recommended amount of veggies your pigs are getting enough vit c.

ihtak

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help. So far I've gotten them to eat carrots and apples. But they haven't touched the pepper or oranges. So I think I'll look for that Oxbow suppliment.
The food I bought for them looks like it was packaged a couple months ago. Does it start to break down in C vit. after it's opened or after it's packaged?

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Another few suggestions:
My piggies wouldnt touch the peppers either, but they loooooove their leaf lettuce...so now i keep a bag of mixture in my refridge consisiting of lettuce, carrots, bellpeppers, and parsley all chopped up. The first few times i gave them this "salad" theyd eat everything and leave the peppers.... then they began half heartedly taking a nibble or two off the peppers....and now they are as eager to get the peppers as the rest--theres never anything left int he bowl when i get up the next morning. :)

If all else fails, you can replace the water in their water bottles with pure cranberry juice to get them their vit c. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.