Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding to bond or not to bond?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
They were mounting, sniffing, making weird noises while standing about 5 inches away from each other, and their hair was raised. When I seen blood above one of the piggies lip it was time to call it quits.

As long as you didn't separate when they were mounting sniffing, making noises, etc. and only separated when you saw blood then I would say that you did it correctly.

Have you tried doing the buddy bath at all?

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
I would try again, my first went bad after 3 hours. I did it a second time in an area about a 4x4 and it went well. I mean sure there was the normal but no blood the second time around. A few times when it was getting close i threw more hay and lettuce in, a few false coughs or sneezes. I know it was the wrong way but it worked for me This was with 4 pigs, two pairs. Also I started with four piles of hay and lettuce mix.

I also threw in some vegetables, but my ''dominant'' one ate them all :/ so my other one couldn't get any

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
As long as you didn't separate when they were mounting sniffing, making noises, etc. and only separated when you saw blood then I would say that you did it correctly.

Have you tried doing the buddy bath at all?

i'm kinda nervous to do the bath method right now...one of them is very skittish yet...i'm not sure what kind of shampoo to get...i know it gets rid of both of their scents..well so i read

Aleks

Cavy Slave
i'm kinda nervous to do the bath method right now...one of them is very skittish yet...i'm not sure what kind of shampoo to get...i know it gets rid of both of their scents..well so i read

Do you have experience with bathing piggies?
As for the shampoo, get a small animal shampoo that is kitten or rabbit safe-- never use any human products on them. Gorgeous guineas is a highly recommended brand, but you would have to order it online.

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
As for the shampoo, get a small animal shampoo that is kitten or rabbit safe-- never use any human products on them. Gorgeous guineas is a highly recommended brand, but you would have to order it online.

Nope..this would be my first piggy bathing experience with the both of them. I will check out the store tomorrow for the shampoo :) Do I bathe both of them together or can I wash one of them at a time? I've watching youtube videos on how to bathe a guinea pig. I just found one a petsmart...it leaves a fragrance...is this ok? it says it is for small animals.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

I just got my gorgeous guineas shampoo in the mail, they have a few different kinds. I got EasiRinse 500ml Cedarwood & Lemongrass and love it, would definitely recommend. Worth the wait from shipping.

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
I just got my gorgeous guineas shampoo in the mail, they have a few different kinds. I got EasiRinse 500ml Cedarwood & Lemongrass and love it, would definitely recommend. Worth the wait from shipping.

Will definitely check it out :)

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Nope..this would be my first piggy bathing experience with the both of them. I will check out the store tomorrow for the shampoo :) Do I bathe both of them together or can I wash one of them at a time? I've watching youtube videos on how to bathe a guinea pig. I just found one a petsmart...it leaves a fragrance...is this ok? it says it is for small animals.

You're supposed to bathe them together, that way they're both kind of freaked out and forget about fighting. Make sure not to get any water in their eyes, nose or ears. When you're done bathing them and they're completely dried off do the introduction again how you normally would. The bathing is supposed to make them smell the same and pretty much scare them into bonding. (I know that probably sounds kind of bad. lol)
Give this a read if you haven't already. The buddy bath part is near the bottom of the page: http://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

What brand is the shampoo?

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
You're supposed to bathe them together, that way they're both kind of freaked out and forget about fighting. Make sure not to get any water in their eyes, nose or ears. When you're done bathing them and they're completely dried off do the introduction again how you normally would. The bathing is supposed to make them smell the same and pretty much scare them into bonding. (I know that probably sounds kind of bad. lol)
Give this a read if you haven't already. The buddy bath part is near the bottom of the page: http://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

I've read this already, but thank you though :) I'm just kinda nervous to give both a bath at the same time. They are pretty squirmy.
Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo
Clean, condition and deodorize your pet with this tearless formula. Enriched and ph balanced, this shampoo will leave coat soft and shiny and smelling fresh as a baby.

The shampoo is at Petsmart.

LOL ...scaring them to bond together seems a little wacky, but hey...if it will work..i will give it a chance

Aleks

Cavy Slave

I've read this already, but thank you though :) I'm just kinda nervous to give both a bath at the same time. They are pretty squirmy.
Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo
Clean, condition and deodorize your pet with this tearless formula. Enriched and ph balanced, this shampoo will leave coat soft and shiny and smelling fresh as a baby.

The shampoo is at Petsmart.

LOL ...scaring them to bond together seems a little wacky, but hey...if it will work..i will give it a chance

Do you have anything deep enough to bathe them in that they can't jump out of (but still have enough room in)?
When I first bathed George I had no idea what to expect and he jumped right out of the bath tub. He was alright, no worries there although it was really scary, but now I bathe him in a big sink we have downstairs and I haven't had to worry about it since.

Squeaky Clean is an okay brand to use. I'm fairly certain that [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] uses it.

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
Do you have anything deep enough to bathe them in that they can't jump out of (but still have enough room in)?
When I first bathed George I had no idea what to expect and he jumped right out of the bath tub. He was alright, no worries there although it was really scary, but now I bathe him in a big sink we have downstairs and I haven't had to worry about it since.

Squeaky Clean is an okay brand to use. I'm fairly certain that @bpatters uses it.

Wonderful! I can pick it up tomorrow :D I have a double kitchen sink that is deep and I should place a wash cloth on the bottom so they won't slide?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
and I should place a wash cloth on the bottom so they won't slide?

It may not be necessary, but i don't think it would hurt if you did. :)

indycolts18

Cavy Slave
It may not be necessary, but i don't think it would hurt if you did. :)

Thank you for all your advice it really helped :D I hope 3rd time is the charm.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Thank you for all your advice it really helped :D I hope 3rd time is the charm.

No problem, I hope everything turns out well! Update us on how things go!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.