Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

To Adopt, or not to Adopt? That is the Question.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
A few weeks ago when I went to pick up my two newest girls from a shelter, I saw two more adorable female guinea pigs waiting for a home. They are four years old and constantly overlooked because they aren't as energetic as the younger guinea pigs. I am scared they will never find a good home. I would really like to take them home with me!

Here is my dilemma. I already have eight piggies (seven girls and one neutered boy). However, their cage is 55 square feet and could easily house two more girls. Since I have switched to fleece I am positive I could afford to take in two more. I already buy hay and pellets in bulk so it is not a huge difference. My main concern is this: I will be moving back to Seattle in about three years. I do not know if the older girls would make it that long, and if they did it would be a very rough journey for senior piggies. I want to be certain I can keep them safe and happy for the rest of their lives.

So what do you guys think? Should I adopt them? :confused:

Fay

Cavy Slave
I'd personally adopt them! A huge cage with loads of buddy's but one big trip sounds much better then forever in a shelter!

Best of luck deciding what you plan to do!

Love,

Fay

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I don't think anyone but you can really answer that question. It certainly sounds like you have the space for them. What does your heart say? And possibly more important, what does your wallet say? Can you afford if something should happen medically and you have to treat several of them?

Fay

Cavy Slave
I don't think anyone but you can really answer that question. It certainly sounds like you have the space for them. What does your heart say? And possibly more important, what does your wallet say? Can you afford if something should happen medically and you have to treat several of them?

Yes, You do have to make sure you can afford them. If it will become tight in your budget and something would happen to several of them you might not be able to afford it?

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I definitely can afford them. I am lucky to live in a house my parents bought, with a roommate who gives me rent, so it's very cheap living. Also, my mom is willing to help out with pet emergencies. With everything that has gone on with my cat, she has paid for a lot of it. I will be paying her back, but I do know that as emergencies come up they will always be taken care of right away. We feel that our pets are part of the family and nothing less!

I guess I answered my own question, then. I'll post pictures when I bring them home! ;)

Fay

Cavy Slave
Can't wait to see them! Those lucky piggers! I wish I was one of your piggies haha!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I am thrilled to hear you are taking two older girls everyone else overlooked, and if you're not moving for about three years, then that will be a good three years of settled life they will have!

Looking forward to seeing their pigtures!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I don't think anyone but you can really answer that question
I wholeheartedly agree with PM's statement. Only you can determine if you have the time, the money and the energy to add another pair of pigs into your herd. There are many things to consider such as do you have the money to spend on more veggies and vet care for 2 more? If you buy pellets and hay in bulk that won't be a problem.

It's always hard seeing pigs sitting in shelters and we all in our hearts want what is best for them. But we can't save them all and that's what we have to remember. Sometimes it's due to finances, sometimes to other reasons. I'm not saying yes, get them or no, don't get them. I'm saying take the time to think over your decision and make sure it's the right one and whether you have the finances to support them, all your other animals and yourself.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs:
Thank you for being the voice of reason! I saw them almost a month ago and have been thinking about them ever since. I actually keep having dreams about them! I've thought hard about the responsibility I will be taking on. I know I will be able to give them the proper care. My main concern is the fact that I will be moving. However, if I rent an RV and build them a C & C cage for the ride, I think they should be fine. I just know they would be euthanized if I don't take them. They have been at the shelter for a long time. That isn't the only reason I am getting them, though. I am excited to have some older piggies that can sit still and eat on my lap rather than running all over the place! I think it will balance out the group. However, I am really not getting any more after this! (Really!) Even though I have the space, it doesn't mean I need to fill it with every piggy I see! As long as I keep myself out of any shelters I should be able to resist those cute piggy faces! :p

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
If I'm still here in Seattle in 3 years, I'd be happy to help with the move (i.e. fly with the senior piggies on an earlier trip and leave them with me).

It's a long way out though.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Well, it's official, I now have 10 piggies! The girls are very sweet. When the volunteer took them out of the cage they screamed, but when I held them they both quieted down and started snuggling! Love at first sight. They are extremely chubby, though. I'm taking them to the vet on Monday to make sure they don't have any cysts or anything.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Are you talking about Thumper and her friend Stuart? If the Chin and pigs were at the same location I would have brought them home with me. It would be nice to see the senior girls live out their live in total comfort. You are right, because of their age they probably won't get adopted and you can change that....

MissCin

Cavy Slave
Wow. Ten piggies is alot! lol I'm actually thinking about adopting one more, I'm not sure though.
I have a question for you; envisionary333: Do you have any kind of 'pet insurance'? I'm asking because it must be expensive to have 10 pigs + vet bills.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Hyrdrohoki: Thanks for the offer! My mom is coming along for the ride so I think I'll bring all the pets in the RV and we should be ok.

Piggersule: Yup, it's Stuart and Thumper! I double-checked to be sure they are girls since they both have boy names. Very confusing.

MissCin: I don't have pet insurance, but I am definitely considering it! I have to look into what my options are. All of my adopted piggies came with free initial checkups, and after that I weigh them frequently and try to stay on top of things. This probably saves me money in the long run, but it still isn't cheap! I'm going to get a job waiting tables because it is such good money.

^dawn^

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! Can't wait to see some pictures!

Fanch

Cavy Slave
Congrats, so glad you got them. Can't wait for pigtures

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! :)

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
So from what I can tell, these guinea pigs have not been socialized at all. They are extremely skittish. I know it's only the first day, but I can tell that they are way more stressed out than any of the other piggies I've adopted. They also won't eat any veggies except for lettuce. I'm so glad they didn't go home with someone else because I don't think anyone would want to keep them. They are scared of everything. Fortunately I will be patient and if they don't want to be held that's fine with me. I know they will grow to love their new family with time. :love:

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
I am so glad you adopted them, that is awesome. I can't wait to see pigtures.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Wow. Ten pigs, my five are expensive so I am totally impressed. I can't wait to see pictures.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.