Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions To adopt a piggy or not?

PiggyPoP

Cavy Slave
I currently own two rescued female's. One of them was pregnant when I adopted her unbeknownst to me. She had one male and he was sectioned off from his mommy at exactly 3 weeks of age. I made an extension to the C&C cage and used more wire grid overlapped to make sure it was baby proofed. He is now 7 weeks and he has been going absolutely berserk trying to get to the girls and has even started chewing at the partition that allows him to look but not touch. I hate to see my piggy frustrated. His aunt has even tried climbing up on the grid to check out what the fuss is about esp when he starts squeaking for them. I thought by keeping him close by where he can see and talk to other pigs would keep him from being lonely. Does he just need to be paired with another male from a rescue? Or as time goes by will he seem happier? Please lead me in the right direction, thanks!

How large is the cage altogether? You COULD adopt a male for the baby but you might also consider having him neutered and putting him back with the girls.

Keeping a male next to females is like torture for him, plus they are his sisters and mom, so he wants to get to them even more. It's worse because he can see, smell, and hear them, yet can't get to them, you will have to put him in another room and get him a friend. Just looking at other pigs through the grids isn't giving him someone to play with and such.

i think you should remove him from the cage and all so he cant even see the girls so maybe across the room! but i would say to go ahead and get him another friend once you move him so he wont be lonley...if moving him away (having no space) isnt an option i would say DONT get another piggie because then the males would fight and it can cause more drama! so i hoped this helped if you have any more questions about this just ask :):cheerful:

Have you thought about neutering him and putting him with the females?
I think even if you adopt another male he will still act this way, unless you put the cage in another room or something.
Right now he sees his mom and aunt and wants to breed with them, so that's probably why he is acting so crazy. Taking him out of the room or having him neutered should fix the problem.

Right, as I mentioned earlier, neutering is almost always an option but the others are right. Keeping him where he can see, smell, hear the girls but not get to them is more stressful to him than being away from them completely.

How large is the cage altogether? You COULD adopt a male for the baby but you might also consider having him neutered and putting him back with the girls.

The cage is now eight feet after the addition. I'm waiting on a new sheet of coroplast so I can build another cage. I buy from a wholesale distributor that doesn't normally sell to the public so i have to wait until the manager is in. I thought having a gp fixed was risky compared to other pets but if the odds are in the little guy's favor I will be fine with getting it done. My gp's have an entire room dedicated to just them so I doubt I would want him out of the same room forever.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.