Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Tips?

lovemypigs.

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I have 2 bonded pigs in a 2x5 and then have 2 more in a different cage staked on top, those 2 are un-bonded, (they have a 2x5 split in half) and I want to work on bonding those 2, then bonding all 4, (i hope) does anyone have any tips for 'bonding sessions'? Thanks :)

You have a 2X5 split in half? So each pig only has a 2X2.5 of living space?? That's really not enough space for each pig. Is there a reason you have the cage divided? Unbonded doesn't necessarily mean they will fight.

You are looking to help the two un-bonded pigs bond? I don't know that there is any way to force pigs to bond. They just kind of do it naturally as they spend more time together.

The only thing I know of is to stick them together in neutral territory, clean their cage good, then after they get well introduced in the neutral territory, put them in the cage and let them work it out. And not to seperate them unless they draw blood. Since multiple intros stresses them out in most cases. I did that when I introduced Bear, a 2yr old reascue who had never had a cagemate before, to Porcupine and Odair, my bonded pair who had neer been apart. All three are males and while they fought rather hard at first, and still squabble from time to time, they are getting along a-ok! Porcupine and Odair are teens as well so extra hormones but hasnt seemed to effect anything.

Oh and my three sleep close to eachother, even next to eachother on occation. I'm still not 100% certain what counts as bonded but since mine sleep with eachother I'd like to think that means they are bonded.

You have a 2X5 split in half? So each pig only has a 2X2.5 of living space?? That's really not enough space for each pig. Is there a reason you have the cage divided? Unbonded doesn't necessarily mean they will fight.

You are looking to help the two un-bonded pigs bond? I don't know that there is any way to force pigs to bond. They just kind of do it naturally as they spend more time together.

Yes, it is temporary, thay can see eachother through the grids, and they dont fight its just the older piggie constantly just chases my other pig,

That's it? Just chasing? Hardly a reason to cut their living space in half. Chasing, mounting, rumbling, that's all part of the dominance dance. They might chase for a little while but eventually they will work it out. Take the divider out and let them have the full space.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.