Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Tips on picking up guinea pigs!

SquishyCavy

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm a first time owner, with three cutie little scamps! They are in need of more floor time. I was wondering if there were some tasteful or subtle ways to pick them up without betraying their trust. I feel bad for chasing them aroud the cage and cornering them. And i was not sure if grabing them out of the pigloo is a good idea. If anyone has any tips or words of wisdom on this subject that would be amazing and greatly apretiated. Thank you!

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
For my skittish pig, I get her into the pigloo, reach one hand inside and under her, and pick the pigloo up with my other hand. She tends to scream until she's on my chest (I think it just freaks her out to not have her feet on anything firm) It doesn't seem like the /nicest/ way to pick them up, but they do need floor time and it's the only reasonable way I've found to pick her up.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
If you don't like chasing and grabbing them as much, some people have found using a cuddle sack or a "piggy elevator" works for them. A Piggy elevator is just basically a cardboard box with a hole cut in one side. It still requires some chasing, but if you do it enough you might be able to put it down and they will automatically crawl in.

SquishyCavy

Cavy Slave
My piggys are too smart for the elevator. They know exactly what I'm trying to do when i bring a box with a hole in it. I could try the cuddle sack and the pigloo. I just wasn't sure if it was ok to stick my hand in. Thanks for the replys!

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I also corner them. The best thing to do is to get in the habit of picking them up within 5 seconds or less. Reach in, scare into a corner, and grab them with confidence - that will make them feel more confident and eventually instead of being scared into a corner, they will know what's happening and "deal" with it, lol. At least in my experience! Chasing them around the cage for too long does more harm than good.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
One of mine was trained to walk into the cuddle sack until he was on meds. I corner mine between 2 cuddle sacks and they usually run into one or the other sack.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.