Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Tips for saving for vet bills - how I saved $1200 in a month

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I'm going to share what I did to save up for Little Bear's eye surgery. I was quoted $1200 which at the time I couldn't pay all out of pocket. I already had Carecredit, but didn't want to use it. So here are some options based on if you just have the money in your bank.

First, SAVE UP! I don't make a ton of money since losing/changing jobs because of covid, so I couldn't just slap down the money like I'm used to. I saved up about $200 a paycheck every other week. Save what you can, and cut expenses.

Sell stuff you don't need. I have done this in the past, but didn't do it this time. Use craigslist, facebook marketplace, a garage sale, etc to get rid of what you don't need anymore.

Make a gofundme (but don't post it where it isn't allowed/welcome). Be aware Gofundme does take like 2% of earnings. You need a good story, proof of your situation, and don't go crazy with a requested amount. I knew I'd never get all the money on GFM, so I asked for $600. I ended up with $500.

Get carecredit...a reasonable option, IF you can pay the bill before the promo ends. The interest is 26% to 29%, leading to my next option. But you can usually get approved for Carecredit pretty quick (in a few minutes). If they deny you online, then CALL and find out why. This happened to me, and they approved me after a call.

Get a credit card with a 0% interest promo, and a sign up bonus
. This was the best thing I did, and wasn't suggested on other sites with lists on how to save up. I got on reddit looking for advice, and was told to find a credit card with a sign up bonus. Basically I was to spend so much money in 3 months, and I would get $200 cash back. In addition, I also got cash back from other purchases. After paying the surgery bill, I made a free $220! The longer 0% interest period gives you more time to pay with no interest. However, this depends on your credit score...mine is excellent, and if you're not a 'good' and up, then this may not be a good option.

Something I don't recommend: asking about payment plans at the vet. I have used a lot of vets, and work at one now, and chances are they won't do a payment plan. Too many people won't pay, cancel their cards, vanish, etc. Too many people bail on their bills to make payment plans a good option. Do not hope that your vet will do this for you - chances are, they won't!

In addition to all this, it's also important to have a savings account or a separate fund for pet bills only. Pets cost money, and usually a lot of it. You need to have money set aside for them. There are no free or cheap pets (as my free abandoned guinea pig mentioned in this post proves).

If none of this works for you, there is a final option: surrender your pet to someone who can care for it. This is a hard, but LOVING choice. Where I work, we have clients do this! It takes a lot of strength, and I respect those who have surrendered the pet to us. The pets we have taken in have received care, survived, and are now happy because of this (usually, either an employee keeps the pet or we give it to a family member). Find a shelter, a rescue, someone you know, or even the vet clinic and see if they will take the pet. Chances are you will not get the pet back, and they may not release any more info to you about the pet. But you can be happy knowing the pet is cared for. (The pet is not getting 'free' care when this happens. Someone still has to pay, whether it is the clinic, the rescue, etc.)

Your pig NEEDS YOU so do right by them, and do all you can to afford/give them whatever care they are needing!!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Good information and I’m so glad you got the funds for the surgery.

Another thing I always did was keep a separate savings account and use direct deposit from my paycheck. With money going into an account separate from my checking and savings, I didn’t really notice it. Small amounts add up and you have a cushion to work with when there’s an emergency.

keithanderson

Cavy Slave
I'm going to share what I did to save up for Little Bear's eye surgery. I was quoted $1200 which at the time I couldn't pay all out of pocket. I already had Carecredit, but didn't want to use it. So here are some options based on if you just have the money in your bank.

First, SAVE UP! I don't make a ton of money since losing/changing jobs because of covid, so I couldn't just slap down the money like I'm used to. I saved up about $200 a paycheck every other week. Save what you can, and cut expenses.

Sell stuff you don't need. I have done this in the past, but didn't do it this time. Use craigslist, facebook marketplace, a garage sale, etc to get rid of what you don't need anymore.

Make a gofundme (but don't post it where it isn't allowed/welcome). Be aware Gofundme does take like 2% of earnings. You need a good story, proof of your situation, and don't go crazy with a requested amount. I knew I'd never get all the money on GFM, so I asked for $600. I ended up with $500.

Get carecredit...a reasonable option, IF you can pay the bill before the promo ends. The interest is 26% to 29%, leading to my next option. But you can usually get approved for Carecredit pretty quick (in a few minutes). If they deny you online, then CALL drift boss and find out why. This happened to me, and they approved me after a call.

Get a credit card with a 0% interest promo, and a sign up bonus. This was the best thing I did, and wasn't suggested on other sites with lists on how to save up. I got on reddit looking for advice, and was told to find a credit card with a sign up bonus. Basically I was to spend so much money in 3 months, and I would get $200 cash back. In addition, I also got cash back from other purchases. After paying the surgery bill, I made a free $220! The longer 0% interest period gives you more time to pay with no interest. However, this depends on your credit score...mine is excellent, and if you're not a 'good' and up, then this may not be a good option.

Something I don't recommend: asking about payment plans at the vet. I have used a lot of vets, and work at one now, and chances are they won't do a payment plan. Too many people won't pay, cancel their cards, vanish, etc. Too many people bail on their bills to make payment plans a good option. Do not hope that your vet will do this for you - chances are, they won't!

In addition to all this, it's also important to have a savings account or a separate fund for pet bills only. Pets cost money, and usually a lot of it. You need to have money set aside for them. There are no free or cheap pets (as my free abandoned guinea pig mentioned in this post proves).

If none of this works for you, there is a final option: surrender your pet to someone who can care for it. This is a hard, but LOVING choice. Where I work, we have clients do this! It takes a lot of strength, and I respect those who have surrendered the pet to us. The pets we have taken in have received care, survived, and are now happy because of this (usually, either an employee keeps the pet or we give it to a family member). Find a shelter, a rescue, someone you know, or even the vet clinic and see if they will take the pet. Chances are you will not get the pet back, and they may not release any more info to you about the pet. But you can be happy knowing the pet is cared for. (The pet is not getting 'free' care when this happens. Someone still has to pay, whether it is the clinic, the rescue, etc.)

Your pig NEEDS YOU so do right by them, and do all you can to afford/give them whatever care they are needing!!
It's one of those amazing!