Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Timothy hay with alfalfa pellets?

aubrey

Cavy Slave
I have two 3 month old female guinea pigs, Ruby and Rosie. I heard that if they are getting alfalfa based pellets, they can have timothy hay. Is this true? I want to order hay from Kleenmama, but she doesn't have alfalfa hay. So if they have alfalfa pellets and timothy hay will they grow properly? Thanks in advance :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
They need timothy hay ALWAYS. You can give them alfalfa for a bit, but alfalfa isn't a hay. It's a legume, like a pea or bean. It wont grind down teeth and give them the fiber they need.

So yes, order timothy for them, they'll grow fine :)

Amy262

Cavy Slave
That's what I am currently feeding our girls who are under six months old...alfalfa pellets and Timothy hay. When I was giving them alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay, they started to have lots of white urine which indicated they were getting too much calcium.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Pigs of all ages should have grass hay (timothy, orchard, bluegrass, etc). Alfalfa is just a supplement.

Since your pigs are getting alfalfa pellets, they'll have enough alfalfa. No need alfalfa hay.

aubrey

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the answers! Once we finish the 15oz bag of Oxbow Alfalfa Hay, I will order KM Timothy hay. So does that mean their pee should be clear or?? I noticed that before the pee soaks into the fleece, it is slightly white. Does that mean too much calcium?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No guinea pig needs alfalfa hay. You can use it as a supplement to timothy hay for pups and nursing sows, or you can use alfalfa pellets for them.

Amy262

Cavy Slave
I read that guinea pigs can have white urine, but if it starts to ge thick or chalky, then that indicates too much calcium. Someone out there...please correct me if that is not correct. I began to notice more white spots with their urine and some of them were heavier, so that was when I was concerned. I switched them completely over to Timothy hay (which in my error, I did not realize that they needed to have...I thought alfalfa was needed under 6 months). They still get their alfalfa pellets, so they are getting what they need through those. Plus, additional nutrients through daily veggies.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I read that guinea pigs can have white urine, but if it starts to ge thick or chalky, then that indicates too much calcium. Someone out there...please correct me if that is not correct. I began to notice more white spots with their urine and some of them were heavier, so that was when I was concerned. I switched them completely over to Timothy hay (which in my error, I did not realize that they needed to have...I thought alfalfa was needed under 6 months). They still get their alfalfa pellets, so they are getting what they need through those. Plus, additional nutrients through daily veggies.

Any type of urine sludge indicates too much calcium, and will increase the risk of stones. While gritty stains are more serious than powdery,
it's better to alter the diet & find the source to lower the risks further regardless of stain consistency, if the stains appear regularly.

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Any type of urine sludge indicates too much calcium, and will increase the risk of stones. While gritty stains are more serious than powdery,
it's better to alter the diet & find the source to lower the risks further regardless of stain consistency, if the stains appear regularly.

What if the urine is just tinged white but doesn't leave any sludge behind? Since I've switched our girls over to Timothy, they will still occasionally have a spot of white left on darker fleece (although, most of the time they pee in the litter box, so it doesn't look like there is any color to their urine on the carefresh). The spot of white isn't thick...it is just more of a small spot of white residue...not gritty. This only happens maybe once every other week now...and I'm not sure which of the three has done it.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
What if the urine is just tinged white but doesn't leave any sludge behind? Since I've switched our girls over to Timothy, they will still occasionally have a spot of white left on darker fleece (although, most of the time they pee in the litter box, so it doesn't look like there is any color to their urine on the carefresh). The spot of white isn't thick...it is just more of a small spot of white residue...not gritty. This only happens maybe once every other week now...and I'm not sure which of the three has done it.

A small, hardly visible sludge stain once every two weeks is fine I think.
But if it happens more often on a regular basis it may be time to alter their diet (or water in some cases.)