Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Timothy Hay or Orchard Grass??

ckidder

Cavy Slave
Was wondering Which is better or if it matters.
I feed all my piggies timothy hay, but also Orchard grass too. I have noticed on all of them, that the timothy hay has more wasted. Only the soft stuff is eaten on the timothy hay, but the orchard grass they eat it all. Can I just feed them the Orchard Grass? Just would like some input on this.

Thanks
Crystal

It's perfectly fine to just feed orchard grass, a good alternative for those with allergies as well. The quality of hay has been bad everywhere for the past year it seems.

What about Bermuda grass too that you can buy? is it fine too? bec. i thought about mixing the orchard grass and bermuda grass?

Bermuda is also fine to feed.
The good thing about mixing different kinds of hay, is that the pigs tend to be less picky. There have been a few cases of pigs refusing to eat a different kind of hay when their usual kind runs out.

ok Thanks. I will give it a try.

is bermuda fine by itself? bc i havent been able to find timothy hay in bales around here but i can find bermuda

I don't know. I know it's ok to buy the Bermuda grass i am buying, so I wouldn't see why you couldn't get the bale of it. Hopefully someone with a little bit more info on this will step in too, bec. I am not sure.

sorry

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.