Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Time to Integrate? Boys...

Muddypaws

Cavy Slave
We got a third boar last week~ he is younger than the other two we have by maybe 2 months, they are within 5 oz. of each other size wise, however.

The new boy, Lemon, is very outgoing and curious. He is living in a sectioned off part of the main cage, with just a grid between he and the other two boys.

In the cage they are pretty much fine, lots of nosing and chatter between the grids, all three are curious about each other and popcorning etc as usual.

They have about 6 'dates' in a large pen onthe floor~ tons of room to run, hideys etc. ~ all neutral and neutralized :p

The least dominant one (one of the original two) has been, um , 'spunked' once (ewwww! Had to cut out a bunch of fur!) by the original dominant pig in this pen, and there is lots of humping by original boss to original submissive to show Lemon how things work around here!:eye-poppi

The submissive boy and Lemon are cool together, lots of butt sniffing, share treats. The dominant original and Lemon have now subsided to Lemon being chased around and lots of attempted humping (which he kicks off or he hides) while the boss rumblestruts. There was a fair bit of head on face biting by the dominant to Lemon the first couple dates, but this has stopped.

Last night I put them in the main cage together for a few minutes, and aside from rumblestrutting, all was peaceful.

Does it sound like they could hang out together in the main cage today? I'll make sure to add the second water bottle and food dish for access... or should we wait a bit more?

(the mess is getting to me, the original boys have the kitchen part of the cage and almost always use the litter, the new boy doesn't have the kitchen and is VERY messy in his portion!)

I hate to tell you this Hunny, but so far you've done it all wrong. A great source for proper guinea pig introductions is Guinea Pigs Social Life

Please note, I'm not yelling at you, just want to make sure you know in case you have to do this again.

First off, you're new piggy should have been quarentined for at least 3 weeks before introductions. You don't want him to pass anything on to your pigs or vise versa.

Secondly, you should only ever do an introduction once. Every time you take the pigs away and put them back together they have to re-establish dominance. That's why the humping has continued.

The best thing you can do right now is put all three of your babies together in a large neutral area that they have never been in before. Provide lots of hideys (with 2 entrences) and lots of piles of food. And just let them work it out. They can stay together as long as there is no bloodshed.

While they are all together, clean your cage. You want to sanitize everything and get rid of everybody's smells. Once they have worked everthing out on the floor and they are getting along, then you can move them all to the cage at the same time.

Best of Luck! I hope intros go well and all three can happily live together.

Ditto Catahoula.

LOL Ok, then :)
I actually did read the page, and (mis!)understood that we needed to 'date' on neutral ground over time~ everything was sanitized etc in the cage and we already have double everything and exit points in everything.

So at this point i need to put them together, since they are living side by side already~ I thought they needed more time...oops!
(and yes, I missed the Quarantine!).

here we go, then!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.