Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Three Nebraska boys need a new home

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
This breaks my heart to do this, but it is time to stop being selfish and do what's best for the pigs. I have three boys that need new homes. Over the past year I have slowly developed allergies to my GPs. Daily allergy meds and multiple doctor visits have not helped. I thought with my son getting older he would be able to take more responsibility with the pigs, but he instead has lost interest in them.

Chuck (white, black & blonde) and Shadow (black and white) are approximately 3 years old. Lucky (all white) is about 2. All three pigs are pretty bonded, but Chuck and Shadow are currently separated because of some fights. If you can't take all three, I would at least like Chuck and Lucky to go to the same home as they have been housed together for over a year.

Of course, the new home MUST follow the recommendations of this website and house the pigs in a C&C cage. They currently live in a 5x3, divided into a 3x3 and 2x3 to separate Chuck and Shadow. I would be willing to send the cage materials with the boys.

I have also posted a listing on the Guinea Pig Home website as recommended. You can contact me there or through messaging here. Send me your contact info if you're interested.

Thank you.

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
I really wish my Charlie was a little boy (like we thought she was) so that I could take in Shadow. All your pigs are gorgeous! I hope you find great homes for the little guys. :)

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Has anyone else had success in rehoming GP's from this site or the GuineaPigHome site? I realize that it's not everyday that someone needs three boys right in my area, but we really do need to find a good home for these guys. I also do not want to resort to Craigslist or the humane society, becuase I don't want these guys to end up in some tiny cage somewhere. I figured by posting here I could at least find someone informed on how to properly care for them. Also, we are running low on supplies and I need to know if I should go ahead and order more Kleenmammas food. I guess what I'm trying to find out is if there is some experience out there that would be able to give me some idea of about how long it might take to find the right home...a month? six months? more? Thanks.

Camerafreak

Cavy Slave
Have you tried asking the humane society to post a petfinder ad or maybe even post their pictures up on their site? That way you can be comfortable knowing that they are in your care, you can look into the people that want them, and people have a better chance of seeing them? Now I have no idea how long it would take to rehome since I just looked to family and friends and told them that if they want my babies they have to have a certain set up. Maybe post ad's on billboards or something? I know Virginia's cafe has a place that you can put things up on.

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to post an update. All three boys are still needing a new home. We are running low on supplies, so I just placed another order for pellets and hay from Kleenmammas. Any unused hay an pellets will of course go with the boys to their new home. Please help me find a good home for these little guys. Thanks.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
There are some good people on CL. I would post an add there with your requirements and post links to here and Guinealynx so they know that they live a long time, that they need certain food and such... Doesnt hurt because then anyone else who is searching or has a GP/looking for one or what ever might do more investigating and take better care of their piggies as a result. Even if they dont take your piggy getting the knowledge out there helps everyone...

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I had posted an ad on CL for a friend that was moving and could take her pig. I linked to the cage info here, included grids in the offer, and explained about daily food needs. I said not to inquire if these requirements could not be met. I said this was not be rude, but to ensure a good home for the animals.
Obviously, I can't guarantee they will do this. But I talked with the person that inquired at length about cages and care and she was psyched about it. She gave $30 for 1 pig, 12 grids, a hidey house, and I included a bag of Kleenmama food and hay for my friend. I figured someone would not pay $30 if they weren't invested in the idea.
My friend was relieved that the person seemed to really care about good food and the proper size cage.
So CL is worth a try. It only took 3 days after the ad was placed too.
Good luck

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the encouragement. I have thought about CL but was too worried that the boys would not get to a good home. I like the idea of posting a link to this website and the "If these requirements can't be met..." statement. I will get an ad up there as well and see what happens. Thanks again.

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Just an update...

I tried posting ads on CL but they kept getting flagged and removed. I'm not sure why.

Then I had someone set up who takes in GP, but now that fell through.

I really need to get these boys to a new home. Please let me know if you are interested, or know of anyone who might be. I am in Lincoln, NE, but would be willing to travel a few hours to get them into a good home.

Thanks.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Have you checked around to see if there are any guinea pig rescues in your area where you could surrender them to? They will probably charge a surrender fee but might be better able to find a home for them. In the meantime, if you are using timothy hay, try switching to orchard grass to see if that makes a difference with the allergies. I'm very allergic to timothy hay but have no problems with orchard grass.

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
That's a good question. I have thought about rescues, but admit I haven't done an exhaustive search. If they go to a rescue, how do I know they go to a good home from there? It is something I would worry about I guess.

A few weeks ago I got a brand new box of Kleenmamma's hay, so I won't be ordering any new soon. If I still have them when this box is done, I will try the orchard grass. However, I am 99% certain it is the pigs and not the hay. I had the same problem with hamsters when I was a kid and they did not get hay at all.

I guess I thought guinea pigs are not hamsters and maybe with the passage of time I would be ok with the allergies. It is strange though that I had my pigs for almost two years before allergies started flaring up. If I walk into their room I will be sneezing and wheezing in a few minutes. If I hold them at all you can count on rashes on my arms for the next couple of hours. Not fun.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If they go to a rescue, you can ask them to notify you when they are adopted. They might post them on Petfinder, so you might be able to watch them on there, too. Ask about their screening process, their requirements for adoptions and whether the guinea pigs will remain there until they are adopted. You can also ask if their contract states that they must be returned to the rescue if the adopter decides to give them up at any time.... As far as the rashes, I always thoroughly wash my hands and arms with soap and water after handling mine. I have six. I have asthma and bad allergies so I know how bad the sneezing and wheezing can get. I never touch my face after handling them or my eyes swell up. I keep Benadryl on hand in case I ever get a reaction. Most of my problem is the hay, though....I wonder if anyone on here knows of any reputable rescues in your area.

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
I have a humae society in my area that is very reputable and getting larger, however i noticed they seem to concentrate on their cats and dogs more than small animals. I was wanting guinea pigs saw they had 2 girls so i went in and they pretty much said i could adopt them without many questions. I went in the next day to adopt them and they asked a few general questions and the girl asking the questions asked the more superior girl if she needed to call the apt place we live in, she goes no their just small animals i dont really care. I mean this humane society means well but that kinda got me and I was a little irritated i gave them a great home, but i mean shoot it seems like they would have adopted to anyone. So my point is I would for sure find a rescue that specializes in small animals and cares about where they go vs a shelter or humane society. We dont have any in my area so i never had luck finding any there but if you do i'd deffinatly talk to them and another side note ive used craigslist to find some of my animals homes and found some VERY nice people. I learned you have to ask lots of questions and then weed people out until you find the right people.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have a humae society in my area that is very reputable and getting larger, however i noticed they seem to concentrate on their cats and dogs more than small animals. I was wanting guinea pigs saw they had 2 girls so i went in and they pretty much said i could adopt them without many questions. I went in the next day to adopt them and they asked a few general questions and the girl asking the questions asked the more superior girl if she needed to call the apt place we live in, she goes no their just small animals i dont really care. I mean this humane society means well but that kinda got me and I was a little irritated i gave them a great home, but i mean shoot it seems like they would have adopted to anyone. So my point is I would for sure find a rescue that specializes in small animals and cares about where they go vs a shelter or humane society. We dont have any in my area so i never had luck finding any there but if you do i'd deffinatly talk to them and another side note ive used craigslist to find some of my animals homes and found some VERY nice people. I learned you have to ask lots of questions and then weed people out until you find the right people.

I would always ask whether a humane society or shelter is "no kill' before leaving a guinea pig there. Many of them are not. That's why placing them at a reputable rescue is the best solution if you can't find someone to adopt them on your own.

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Hello all. I have had two offers to take our pigs, and both backed out on me. So I guess I am back on here asking if anyone would like to adopt our boys, or knows anyone who might. I will be updating my ad on the adoption page, as well as placing another ad on craigslist.

Thanks.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you are still looking for homes for your boys, after almost 3 months. They are very sweet looking little guys. (how did you ever get them to all pose the same way!)
I just wanted to ask, have you determined that you are allergic to the pigs as opposed to the hay? It is more commonly the case that it is the hay that triggers an allergy, and switching to another kind of hay like orchard grass may help. Good luck to you and to the little ones.

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Ok, my CL posts keep getting flagged for removal. Is anyone familiar enough with CL to help me figure out why? Here is my post (not including the pictures of the pigs).

Guinea Pig males need a new home - $1 (Lincoln, NE)

Date: 2011-06-20, 9:10PM CDT
Reply to: your anonymous craigslist address will appear here

I have three male guinea pigs that I am looking to rehome. Over the past year I have slowly developed allergies to them, and daily allergy meds and multiple doctor visits have not helped. I thought with my son getting older he would be able to take more responsibility with the pigs, but instead he has lost interest in them.
Chuck (white, black & blonde) and Shadow (black and white) are approximately 3 years old. Lucky (all white) is about 2. All three pigs are pretty well bonded to each other, but Chuck and Shadow are currently separated because of some fights. Over time they may be able to be caged together again. If you can't take all three, I at least need Chuck and Lucky to go to the same home as they have been housed together for over a year. Guinea pigs are social animals and should be kept with other guinea pigs.
If you are at all interested in guinea pigs, I ask that you do a little research on the care of guinea pigs before you inquire about mine. They are not the "perfect starter pets for little kids" or a great Easter present. Guinea pigs require more space than any pet store cage can give them. They also need quality food including fresh vegetables daily and unlimited amounts of hay. PLEASE go to the following website and become informed:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm
I'm really bummed that I have to give up these little guys. I really want to make sure they go to a good home that will give them a great life. I will even be willing to give away the cage materials along with the pigs so you can build them a proper cage. If you cannot follow the recommendations from the above website, please do not inquire about my guinea pigs. A small rehoming fee will apply, so if you are looking for snake food, don't waste your time.
If you have done the research and are ready to give my boys the home they deserve, respond to this ad by email. Check out the photos below of Chuck and Lucky (caged together), and Shadow.

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Too good to be true may very well be....

So I received this reply to my CL ad:

"Hi am very interested in all three of your three Guinea Pigs if you still have them. Our home is very animal friendly especially for Guinea Pigs. I currently have six, four females and two males. They’re an animal I truly enjoy spending time with and smothering them with love. I have two nieces that are Hog wild for Guinea Pigs as well. When we all visit each other our Piggy's travel along with us and we have Pig Parties so to speak. Just speaking for myself of course my pets play a special part in my life and can appreciate you only re homing your beloved pets with someone that will love and care for them until they pass away. I can provide a loving caring home for them."

I talked to this person on the phone this morning and have some concerns. First, she lets these pigs out of their cages for most of the day (good) but the boys and girls are all together and are not fixed (not good). She tells me that she has not had any pregnancies. This leads me to believe that either her pigs are fixed and she does not know it, or that she is lying. Also, she currently does not house her pigs in C&C cages. She has them split up in multiple pet store type cages, but says that she lets them out most of the time. She is looking into the C&C option.

What do I do? I NEED to get my boys to a good home. I asked her to send me pictures of her set up and she sent me pictures of her pigs. I requested more pictures of the cages so we'll she what comes back. I guess I am unsure what I am worried about. She seems to really care for her pigs. They get plenty of free roaming time and fresh veggies and hay. If I gave mine up to a rescue, there is no way I could be sure they wouldn't go to anyplace worse. If this woman does not do everything the way I would do it, but as far as I could tell genuinely cares for her pigs and gives them a decent home...is that good enough?

Is there a way to find out if this person really is a breeder? I've googled her name as well as mulitple searches for breeders and rescues in Nebraska. I have not really been able to find either so I am unsure if there are any around here.

Any advice?

pinky

Cavy Slave
If she lets the males and females out together during the day, and yours aren't neutered, I wouldn't even consider it. She might even be a hoarder. I'm curious how she would travel with 9 guinea pigs when she visits with family.

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Ok so she sent me the pictures and I really don't think she is a hoarder. The house looks very clean and organized. The six pigs she has are split between three cages. She did say that she was thinking of doing a C&C cage and I told her that I would give her my materials if she would house my boys at least in that.

I'm just not sure what to do. I want more than anything for my guys to go to a home where they will get all the attention and love they deserve. I was starting to think that it would be impossible not only to get my boys all to the same home, but to any home at all. Now here is this opportunity. If I can point her to the website and stress that she learn some more about proper housing....maybe this is the right choice?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.