Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thread I made on a petstore/breeder friendly forum...

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
My two cents on why not to buy animals/supplies from petstores (Mainly pointed at pet-smart, pets at home, petco and other chain stores) .

First off why not to buy animals from a petstore:

1. The ONE animal you buy, will be replaced with TWO more of that speices,
thats TWO more animals that are put into the shop, just to be neglected, wich means more over population.

2. I often see people with these plans of somebody collecting an older pet from a store to pass it into another
person, the main reason for this is that the pet is growing old and the petstore will put him/her down if s/he
dosent find a home in X amount of time, But dont all the other pets that grow old and get to the point where
they will be put down, deserve your pity aswell? No? why not?! They are just the same as the other pet.
(I have seen this done lately but please note I am pointing this at EVERYONE not anybody in particular)

3. Petstores are the ones that cause (well belived to) 96% of the over poulation of small animals in the world
so buying from a petstore is DEMANDING more pets into the store, they dont care for the animals at all, Of course
they dont! The animals bring them money and money brings profit!

Now why not to buy supplies from stores that sell animals:

1. I dont know if it the same in USA but I do know that in the UK, 10% (or over) of the money from
supplies has to go into buying more animals, again this means more animal abuse cases!.

2. Lets just think for a moment; MOST petstores dont sell top quality foods and treats anyway, AND it is usually
cheaper to buy foods in bulk online rather then in the store.

Why to buy from a rescue:

1. Responsible rescues will not ask a bigger fee from the adopters then what the pets have cost them so,
Vet bills, food bills, bedding bills etc but petstores, are another story! they wil charge loads more then
what the ferets cost to keep.

2. Pets are usually (this will sounds mean!) cheaper but healthier from rescues and
any profit wich they RARELY make on pets, does go back into the rescue.

3. The pets from a rescue are MUCH better cared for.

Like I said, Thats my two cents, and just lately it has really made me angry and has upset me ALOT and I stress
when ever I hear storys of somebody buying a ferret from a petstore.

*calms down*
I have had to tweak a few things in there, one being that I posted it on a ferret forum so I said "ferret/fert" instead of pet. But I think it went in one ear and out the other for most of them :( :mad:

pgpsm
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
What did they say in response?

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
On certain forums that post would get you banned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Very true Ellen. I can think of a couple forums where that would get you banned. I was banned for much less on one forum.

But I do want to say be careful posting any responses here. We do not need forum wars here again.

And you don't buy from a rescue, you pay an adoption fee.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.