Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding thoughts in fleece

Shivra

Cavy Slave
Well I have been using fleece for about six months. I've grown to hate it and I feel like its always dirty.
I have 3 girls in a 2x6 on newspaper,then towels and then the fleece on top. I have two litterpans at opposite corners and they pee mostly in it,but the other two corners get peed in too.

How do you guys layer your fleece? Right now I'm ready to pitch it and go back to shavings and carefresh 50/50!

I do spot clean every day when I change food and water, so there's not many poops that stay around and get smooshed in.

Help!

i had the same problem until i made a kitchen/litter area yesterday. they've been mostly pooping and peeing in that as they eat their hay!

i layer 2-3 towels on top of each other then layer a section of fleece on top.

Stop using newspaper as it will get soggy, stick to the towels & make it more smelly.
Do you have a kitchen area with disposable bedding? This will greatly reduce both hay on the fleece, poop & pee as pigs like to go where the hay is, might be worth giving it a try. Litterpans just take up room & pigs usually don't care for them unfortunately.

Stop using newspaper as it will get soggy, stick to the towels & make it more smelly.
Do you have a kitchen area with disposable bedding? This will greatly reduce both hay on the fleece, poop & pee as pigs like to go where the hay is, might be worth giving it a try. Litterpans just take up room & pigs usually don't care for them unfortunately.

Yep I have a kitchen area, and ill get rid of the newspaper. I use carefresh in the litter pan. Thanks for the tips!

Fleece really isn't for everyone as it needs so much more maintenance. Sounds like disposable bedding works much better for you. Another bedding option is wood pellets for stoves (without additives), as they are much cheaper & have better odor control than carefresh, won't spread all over the house, and is much less drying to the skin than shavings. But they are heavy to deal with during full cage cleanings.

Fleece really isn't for everyone as it needs so much more maintenance. Sounds like disposable bedding works much better for you. Another bedding option is wood pellets for stoves (without additives), as they are much cheaper & have better odor control than carefresh, won't spread all over the house, and is much less drying to the skin than shavings. But they are heavy to deal with during full cage cleanings.
wood pellets hurt there feet if its in there hole cage if its just in a litter box its fine tho just saying

wood pellets hurt there feet if its in there hole cage if its just in a litter box its fine tho just saying

No, it doesn't hurt their feet at all. Used by many members & moderators because of it's awesome odor control & absorbing ability without the mess & dust. Wood pellets are basically made of compressed shavings, not whole pieces of wood. Quite like the more expensive paper pellets.

Unless the pig is prone to reoccurring bumblefoot where both shavings & wood pellets should be avoided.

We were really reluctant to go to fleece from carefresh because of concerns about maintenance and smell. The carefresh was getting a little messy -- not horrible, but enough -- and expensive. The initial outlay on the fleece was steep but it's already paid for itself. We do a layer of newspaper and then a main layer of fleece with smaller fleece pieces strategically placed on top. So if we have a 2x3 cage, it would have a 2x3 on the bottom with a 1x2 under the area where the piggy dines and/or where the hay is. That way we can take the 1x2 out every day or so and wash it, and not have to do the 2x3 bottom layer more than twice a week.

We're going to switch out the newspaper layer to towels or maybe some wood pellets. But oddly we haven't had a problem with smell, even from the boar's cage. He doesn't seem to generate as much "boar stank" as some other boars but is still a bit more spicy. We took the advice of other posters to leave a couple of pre-scented cozies or a small pad in his pen after we do the main change, so he doesn't feel obliged to drag his bum everywhere right after changing.

The carefresh was great for odor control and we composted it, so that wasn't the issue as much as the price and our fear with not being able to get to the pet store frequently enough with the weather and such around our house. We have a set of fleece that is always clean so we can swap it out quickly.

The person who makes our fleece does an exceptional job and it wicks the moisture away like magic. The fleece is very durable and cute to boot, and she makes it in a smoke-free environment and donates a lot to rescues. I don't know if I can mention her name here but I think other folks on the forum buy from her, too.

We're going to try the kitchen idea, too, but mostly because the hay is a pain. I swear they drag it around just to show us who the real bosses are!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.