Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Those horribe conditions!

sweetspice221

Cavy Slave
Almost everyone on this forum has seen the horrible conditions that the pets at pet stores live In. Every time I see that or even think about that I want to buy tham all (not only because they are so cute), But to get them out of the horrible conditions that they live In, And give them a healthy,And loving home.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
It is heartbreaking... but you have to be strong with this sort of thing.

Just think... if you buy one of them, that means another one will take its place. Now, instead of only one having to suffer, another one also has to. And of course the pet store laughs all the way to the bank because they don't spend money to take care of the animals, but they make a ton of money on them and supplies.

sweetspice221

Cavy Slave
You are so right. But I still want to cry about it. I cant even stand looking at a pet store.:weepy:

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I actually have the opposite experience. The pet stores in my area always have nice clean cages, fresh water and hay etc. and sometimes the cages are pretty big. It looks good on the outside, it's the behind the scenes that is so rotten. Almost every pig I see in the petstore, if I watch long enough I can tell has mites. Goodness knows what else... So in my area, the outside is good looking, which entices people and the cycle perpetuates.

sweetspice221

Cavy Slave
The pet store near my house Is the worst I have ever seen. They have no hay,hamster food, pind bedding, and a VERY small cage! The next time I go into that pet store I am going to set them straight and tell them what needs to be done!>( And make sure that those guinea pigs get exactly what they need!:mischievo

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
The pet stores by me are all awful as well. No hay, no veggies, hamster food for the pigs, rabbits and pigs housed together in small aquariums, no separation of sexes. I've made countless complaints to the management, but I hardly ever go in there (only in an emergency when I don't have the time to wait to order something online) so it's hard to check up on them. We can only do the best we can and that's not supporting them.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
I hate pet stores. I won't give my custom to pet stores that sell live animals but I go in them to check the conditions the animals are kept in and see if there's anything I can complain about.

bee1101

Cavy Slave
Personally, I don't believe rescuing a pig from terrible pet store conditions is wrong. If you buy a rescue pig then it may have been in the pet shop, been bought by someone and have experienced a bad life up until you got them, so it is still a pet shop pig.
If you had bought it before it got sold to some uncaring idiot then it would not have had the mental trauma and possible long term health implications that come with being sold to an unsuitable person.

Saying that, I do understand the argument of not patronising pet stores, but unfortunately, I don't see pet stores ceasing to exist, they must be forced to keep animals in better conditions and ensure they go to a good home.

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
Ok, I'm in the kitchen so i guess I can take the heat if it comes...

I got 3 of our piggies from PetCo, and one from PetSmart. Granted, if I had found this site first, I would have definately looked into adoption instead, so don't shoot me - you live and learn. I just never thought there would be another place you could get guinea pigs.

Anyway, I have to say that the PetCo near us seems to be better than most. The cages have always been spotless when we have gone in, the staff was very knowledgeable about the piggies - even recommended getting the largest cage and giving lots of floor time - and the woman who sold us the pigs talked about how much she liked to take them out and play with them. They also only have 2-3 pigs per cage about 2x4 ft size. Not one of our C&C piggy palaces, but not crowded compared to some petstores I've seen. You can definately tell the difference in the 'skitish' factor with our PetCo piggies vs our PetSmart one. Even the ferret cage at petco didn't stink, and that's a testament to very regular cleaning.

The PetSmart was also very clean and neat, but didn't have quite the warm and fuzzy feel, and our guy was not as used to being handled, but has come around quite nicely.

All their larger pocket pets (like ferrets and chinchillas) were neutered also. Thought that was good. (didn't even think you could do the same to a piggy)

I'm sure it's not like that everywhere you go, and I'm really not defending the petstores, but I am just pointing out there is a huge range of difference in the level of care and space given from one to the other (and obviously from one petco to another, etc)

In my opinion, the PetCo pigs I saw are probably way better cared for than most of the homes they go to where they are crammed into small cages and left alone to languish when the kids tire of their new toy.

On the other hand, the 2 small bus pet stores near us keep their pigs in horrible conditions - even in my pre-enlightened days I knew it isn't good to keep 2-3 pigs in a 15 gal aqu with only a vented lid. Never see anything but pellets in there - have even seen some kept on cedar.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I can see where your heart is bee1101, but the sad fact is that most pet stores don't think of animals as living beings. They consider them merchandise, and like any other merchandise, when some sells, they order more. In the case of animals, they can bring in 2 or 3 babies to shove into the space of an adult that just sold, and this means going back to a breeder or pet mill where the animals are often in worse conditions than in the stores and the sows are backbred until they die.

However, as much as it might hurt, if you do NOT go into the store and buy the guinea pigs that are sitting there, since the merchants look at them as objects to be sold, the laws of supply and demand require that they do not order any more. If the pigs aren't sold, there is no profit in keeping them and no need to order more or breed more to resupply their stock. Eventually, and it might take months or years, that store will turn into a pet supply store that does not sell any animals.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Personally, I don't believe rescuing a pig from terrible pet store conditions is wrong.
No matter what you may think or believe, when you go to a petstore and give them money for a pig, you are "buying" that pig as merchandise from the pet store NOT rescuing it. In turn by "buying" that pig, you are supporting and condoning what the pet store does. So if you buy a pig if you don't know there are rescues and shelters, that's one thing, but if you knowingly go into a pet store when you know there are thousands of pigs in rescues/shelters, you've just condemned a shelter/rescue pig to death.

sweetspice221

Cavy Slave
Wow percy's mom, I never knew that. That Is good I hope that happens to every pet store. But I dont think that will happen any time soon because, Not enough people are Informed about the Issue. So when they want to get a new pet they dont even think about adopting and just purchuse the animals.(Unfortunately). I think we should create an E-Mail about this horrible issue and send It to everyone we know. We need to get the word out to speed up the no petselling Issue/breeders & stores that sell pets. People need to know to adopt.:important

Last edited:

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
What you are also not seeing is the back room or the GP mill the GP's are coming from. They are not so clean. My guess is they are not fed well, given veggies or hay. A male and female is used for one thing and one thing only, babies. A sow is used over and over until she dies to give the petstore those cute little babies that the customer just can't resist. When that sow dies one of her offspring will be put in her place to breed until she dies. You buy a baby in the store and the store will replace it with more. Then turn around and breed another sow so more can keep being replaced. It's all supply and demand. Then there is the other whole issue of babies being born, bought and abandanded, to shelters, Humane society's, let loose, (My Matilda was found in the intersection of a major road. To frightedned to even run.)
That is why the whole cycle must be stopped. Everyone of us, at one time bought a pig at a petstore. Now we know better and are telling others and getting the word out. Every new person who finds this website will learn it is better to adopt and why. I firmly believe in my heart this is one of the best websites on the internet for education of adoption and the care of GP's. Cavy Spirit is changing the world one person at a time and it's fantastic! Keep preaching it!

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
bee1101 said:
Personally, I don't believe rescuing a pig from terrible pet store conditions is wrong. If you buy a rescue pig then it may have been in the pet shop, been bought by someone and have experienced a bad life up until you got them, so it is still a pet shop pig.
If you had bought it before it got sold to some uncaring idiot then it would not have had the mental trauma and possible long term health implications that come with being sold to an unsuitable person.

Saying that, I do understand the argument of not patronising pet stores, but unfortunately, I don't see pet stores ceasing to exist, they must be forced to keep animals in better conditions and ensure they go to a good home.
Yes but that same uncaring i**** is still going to buy a guinea pig regardless, so there is two piggies in the equation instead of one, you get one but one is still going to have the mental trauma and health troubles, and likely end up in the rescue.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
katiecavyNC said:
Ok, I'm in the kitchen so i guess I can take the heat if it comes...

I got 3 of our piggies from PetCo, and one from PetSmart. Granted, if I had found this site first, I would have definately looked into adoption instead, so don't shoot me - you live and learn. I just never thought there would be another place you could get guinea pigs.

Anyway, I have to say that the PetCo near us seems to be better than most. The cages have always been spotless when we have gone in, the staff was very knowledgeable about the piggies - even recommended getting the largest cage and giving lots of floor time - and the woman who sold us the pigs talked about how much she liked to take them out and play with them. They also only have 2-3 pigs per cage about 2x4 ft size. Not one of our C&C piggy palaces, but not crowded compared to some petstores I've seen. You can definately tell the difference in the 'skitish' factor with our PetCo piggies vs our PetSmart one. Even the ferret cage at petco didn't stink, and that's a testament to very regular cleaning.

The PetSmart was also very clean and neat, but didn't have quite the warm and fuzzy feel, and our guy was not as used to being handled, but has come around quite nicely.

All their larger pocket pets (like ferrets and chinchillas) were neutered also. Thought that was good. (didn't even think you could do the same to a piggy)

I'm sure it's not like that everywhere you go, and I'm really not defending the petstores, but I am just pointing out there is a huge range of difference in the level of care and space given from one to the other (and obviously from one petco to another, etc)

In my opinion, the PetCo pigs I saw are probably way better cared for than most of the homes they go to where they are crammed into small cages and left alone to languish when the kids tire of their new toy.

On the other hand, the 2 small bus pet stores near us keep their pigs in horrible conditions - even in my pre-enlightened days I knew it isn't good to keep 2-3 pigs in a 15 gal aqu with only a vented lid. Never see anything but pellets in there - have even seen some kept on cedar.

They just built a Petco near us. (I'm in NC too). I'd disagree with the Petco pets are better taken care of. They don't get vegetables, they have a crappy seed mix, and they live in aquariums.

At Petsmart, they do get orange slices (which still isn't right, but at least they HAVE a vitamin C source), they're eating a solid pellet, and the back of the tanks are at least aerated.

Of course, I try to do a weekly "sweep" of both places to look at the animals, and every week I've had to report a sick animal at both places. That were VISIBLY in distress.

Both are pretty crappy places to obtain animals from, frankly.

*tempts you* There are lots of rescues in NC (I work with one now!) if you ever decide to move up to six pigs. ;)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm sure it's not like that everywhere you go
PetStupid in North Little Rock keeps at least 2-3 adult guinea pigs in a small aquarium and often you will find at least 4-5 pups in another small aquarium. One pigloo per aquarium, no hay and no veggies. A pellet mix and water is all I have ever seen them have in their cages. One cage didn't even have any pellets left, the dish was empty. The conditions at PetNotSoSmart are no different in North Little Rock either.

Now the ferrets in PetStupid get 2 large display pens to live in with plenty of room to run around in and there are usually only 2-3 ferrets in each of these display pens. I don't remember seeing bunnies in there the last time I went in which was in early May but that doesn't mean there weren't any. I got mad wanted to talk to an employee but there were none to be found so after waiting for about 5 minutes I finally left. The only reason I went in was because I was waiting for Best Buy to open to check the price of something and PetStupid is two doors down from Best Buy. Dad was with me and he was even appalled at the conditions those poor pigs were in. I had to be at my doctor's appointment soon or I would have waited longer to have spoken to the manager about the appalling conditions. I was actually 5 minutes late to my doctor's appointment that day.

The conditions of these petstores do vary from place to place and all the ones I have been in are horrid. Even the local mom and pop petstore here in town keeps guinea pigs in 10 gallon aquariums. She usually just has one per aquarium unless they are young pups then you will find two in there and they usually are the same sex. One day though several months ago I was in there and she had just gotten some new pups from a breeder somewhere and I decided to sex them. She said she was supposed to have two males and two females but she had three females and one male. I pointed it out to her and she took the third female and crammed it in the cage with the other two young female pups. I kept asking if she had another cage. Her pigs get plain Mazuri pellets and water. No hay and no veggies.

She has several rats in a small cages, she keeps gerbils and hamsters several to a cage. She has a large ferret cage but I've never seen more than 2 ferrets in it. She has a Chin in a too small cage. This woman is nice and she seems to have a good heart and cares about her animals (they do get vet care if needed) but trying to convince her that her methods of keeping and feeding these animals are outdated is like trying to pull teeth from a tiger. She doesn't believe in feeding veggies, she says that the pigs will get sick from the veggies because of the way they are grown. That's a crock of bull if I ever heard one. She apparently doesn't believe in hay either. I took some GL pamphlets in there one time and asked her if she'd put these out for display by the pigs and she read one over and said she didn't agree with some of the info so she wouldn't put them out.

Of course the woman that owns the shop breeds her own sometimes too. She has a PEW that she breeds about two to three a year because she says it throws off beautiful pups. This PEW is too old to be bred safely anymore and when I tell her that, she won't believe me. Her breeder cronies tell her she can do that and a hundred other bad things so of course she listens to them because it's more money in her pocket.

Last edited:

jdomans

Cavy Slave
That is too bad.
I get so upset at our PetDumb because of the chinchillas. I worry about the lack of good circulation and the heat. The pigs and chins are in the store display cages/cases. It is like a huge kiosk that has birds on one side and furries on the other. There is a door for the employee to go into to get whatever animal you want. The bottom cages are about the same as a 2 x 2. They do get fruit and hay also. Amazing isn't it? Oh the last time we were in there, they had a sign up saying that they reserved the right to not sell an animal and that they did not sell feeder animals. They have also raised the price of the GPs.
You go up the road to Bluffton, SC where the rich are, that PetDumb is awful. The cages are not kept clean at all. You just never know do you?

sweetspice221

Cavy Slave
That Is sooo horrible! I wish we can put them all out of their misery, They would be In a MUCH better place. Where I live there are no pet supply stores, So I have to shop for supplies at those torture places!(aka petco):censored: !!! I hate It soo much my mom even hates walking Into those places! We both know what will end up happening to them If they are not bought. Yesterday I went to the dentinst, And when we were done we hade to go to Publix ( a grocery store). We walked there because It was really close. On our way ther we saw these really cute puppys:p they were sooo adorable! One of them was jumping around and playing, But the other one was laying there with his eyes shut and breathing really hard. We walked Into Publix and did our shopping for about an hour. When we were done we walked back to the car, We saw that same puppy laying there doing the same thing as It was doing an hour ago:eek:hmy: ! We walked Into that Icky store and went to wake It up. One of the store workers stoppped us. He said "dont touch the puppy If you own a dog of your own." So we stopped and left. I said to my mom " arent we going to tell them theres somthing VERY wrong with that dog?!" And she said " No, They already know theres somthing wrong:weepy: ." I wanted to cry my eyes out! It was dyeing!

Alanas

Cavy Slave
What makes me really sad is when you see puppies that are getting quite big, because you know they have been there for weeks and no one has bought them, and it makes me wonder how long it will be before they send it off to the pound because it is harder to sell when it isn't a 'Puppy' anymore.

sweetspice221

Cavy Slave
Alanas, That Is very true. Most people only like buying puppies(unfortunately):sad: . I personally I like puppies more than adult dogs:shhh:, There ALOT cuter and have so much more energy than an adult dog.
I HATE PET SHOPS:important!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.