Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play This is exactly why I love guinea pigs!

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Today was cage cleaning day, so my girls were particularly miffed at me. I took away a beloved toy because it was gross and peed on and needed to be run through the washer. They spent their entire floor time having what sounded like a game of "who can complain the loudest that our toy is in the washer." Once the above mentioned toy came out of the dryer it was all love and snuggles again. I was their favorite person in the world and got LOTS of wheeks and a few nibbles/licks too which are usually reserved for special occasions like when I feed them ha ha ha.

This evening I had some lap time with each pig solo. Just a one on one snuggle fest. The boys are new to this, it being their second night here so they each got some veg and weren't on my lap too long before they started peeing all over me. My girls are ladies though and are litter trained so unless I don't notice that they really need to go and get them back in the cage in time they haven't peed on me since maybe the middle of January. And they were born in November and December. First Lucy was on my lap, and she was enjoying feeling the heat from my laptop while I was browsing online and loving some cuddles from my son Brett. She was nearly asleep when out of nowhere she jumped up to her feet, turned around to face me, backed her rear up to the edge of the lap blanket and peed right off the edge of it onto my pants. Then went right back to snoozing. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to react. Tell her good job for not peeing on the blanket? Giggle because she's trained herself so well that if she's sleeping she'll get up and pee somewhere OTHER than on fleece. Or be annoyed I had to change my pajama pants. I went with the first two.

When it was Moo's turn for lap time, she decided she didn't want to just snuggle, she wanted to explore the internets too.

[GuineaPigCages.com] This is exactly why I love guinea pigs!

"Hey Mama, what are you looking at....can I see?"

[GuineaPigCages.com] This is exactly why I love guinea pigs!

"oh, I like this...I think I'll stay and nap here while you play."

lol Yea gidget Likes to browse the net to during lap time. except she does things to the screen I dont even know how to do.

Aww, so cute! I'm still trying to work on lap time, my girls just freeze up, even tho' their favorite veggies are right there. Any tips on litter training?

Aww, so cute! I'm still trying to work on lap time, my girls just freeze up, even tho' their favorite veggies are right there. Any tips on litter training?

We didn't set out to have liter trained piggies, though we'd hoped they'd pick an area near their food bowls to do most of the peeps so that we could put a removable litter pan there since we have to use fleece. At first it started with floor time. When they were out they pretty much had run of the livingroom, we had it blocked off so that they couldn't get out of that area and put a towel in each corner since we knew that pigs tend to go in corners. The first few times they went where they wanted but they were 3 and 5 weeks old so still very very young. Then after about a week they figured out that the towels were fine to pee on, everywhere else they instantly get shooed away and I'd have to clean up the spot since we have light carpet, and any poo pellets we'd put on one of the towels too to encourage pees and poops on the towels. Another few weeks later we noticed they were ONLY going on one of the towels provided, so we pulled out the other three and they still would only go on that one towel with no peeing or poops anywhere else. In their cage they leave turds EVERYWHERE, but they really only pee in the litter area which is about a 2 long by 1 wide (grid sizes) area in front of their food/hay rack/water bottle. They have a nibble, and pee and then wander off to play. It's worked like a charm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.