Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay This is all my girls will eat!!

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
I have two female guinea pigs, they are fairly young...

It seems like the only kind of Timothy hay they will eat is Kaytee, which I don't particularly care for.

I've boughten bags of Oxbow Timothy, Orchard Grass, Botanical Grass, and it just sits for several days. If I put some Kaytee Timothy they just eat it up in seconds.

I do always try to pick the best bag I can find, but still, I'd like em to eat Oxbow!

Any ideas as to why they are eating just Kaytee?

I'd love to get some of Kleenmammas hay, but until I get some bills paid off, that is just not feasible...

Try mixing it up with the Oxbow so the Kaytee isnt sitting on top. Gradually take the Kaytee away untill all that is left is the Oxbow.

I have! It is amazing the difference between the two types...If I put Kaytee in there it is gone in a matter of hours, if it's oxbow, it usually takes a day or two for them to eat all the hay, even though it's the same amount...

I have mixed it over a week or so, and by the end of the week when it's mainly just Oxbow, they don't eat it!

Obviously they don't know expensive hay:D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.