Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece thinking of switching to fleece

gatsbygirl

Cavy Slave
Today i realized how overwhelmed i was cleaning my 3 guinea pigs large cage i use pine and carefresh mix. I hate to have to go to fleece but i think its the only route i cant keep up with scooping out the bedding in a large cage all the time. Can anyone please give me advice and hints on how to use the fleece ive heard of several different ways and just want to do the best and easiest.

Uhaul furniture pads and Fleece would be the best combination in my experience. I've tried towels, newspaper, and even old blankets and the Uhaul pads are the best so far. They absorb well, last over a week, dry and wash quickly, and are very inexpensive, only $8 a blanket and they're BIG! Plus pine isn't good for their little respiratory systems either, no wood is splendid really.

Towels take forever to dry when washed and since the pee never dries when in the cage, they smell fast. Newspaper is useless really, it stains the coroplast and the fleece and it takes a crazy amount of papers to fill the cage might as well buy bedding in my opinion. I used blankets too but they had the same problem as the towels too thick and smelly. With the Uhaul pads I rate everything like a 9 or 10! :) Just two layers down and some fleece and you're done for a week plus the pig's don't smell of wood and urine :melodrama

Fleece is expensive up front but lasts forever pretty much. I bought some at Walgreens for $3.99 each and at Joanns for like $5 a yard or so. I do reccomend you get two sets of fleece at least and two sets of Uhaul blankets so cleaning day isn't an all. day. process.

U-Haul: Moving supplies: Furniture Pad

Thank you, Kimberly for that...I may have to try! I am so new at all this guinea pig stuff - and kind of threw myself in head first - but I did quickly find (within 2 weeks) that I preferred fleece to the aspen stuff we were using for the less mess factor. Although...I really thought the aspen made the guinea pigs themselves smell good. lol

Right now we are using white towels covered with fleece I bought and followed the directions on an ehow article. I love the ease of it - but man what am I doing wrong? I can smell it after 1 day. I clean the poops up 2x a day but it still has an odor. My husband says he can't smell it, maybe I am just sensitive. I didn't notice it with the aspen. Right now I find myself every 2 days cleaning everything. :confused:

Is it possible I am over feeding them?

Thank you, Kimberly for that...I may have to try! I am so new at all this guinea pig stuff - and kind of threw myself in head first - but I did quickly find (within 2 weeks) that I preferred fleece to the aspen stuff we were using for the less mess factor. Although...I really thought the aspen made the guinea pigs themselves smell good. lol

Right now we are using white towels covered with fleece I bought and followed the directions on an ehow article. I love the ease of it - but man what am I doing wrong? I can smell it after 1 day. I clean the poops up 2x a day but it still has an odor. My husband says he can't smell it, maybe I am just sensitive. I didn't notice it with the aspen. Right now I find myself every 2 days cleaning everything. :confused:

Is it possible I am over feeding them?

Nope that's towels for ya! I hated it too, had to do complete cage cleanings every 3 days as I couldn't handle the smell! Not to mention it's bad for the pigs. A lot of people use towels and honestly I don't know how! Unless you have a whole bunch of towels it's too much work!

I vacuum up poos everyday once, and every 7-10 days sometimes I do a complete cage cleaning. I plan to get two more Uhaul blankets so i don't have to wash their cage stuff and then the playpen blankets I had down while I cleaned.

So i was at the store today and saw a cute blanket that has little hamster and guinea pigs on it it is micro raschel throw is this similiar to fleece and ok to use?

If it says 100% polyester then it will work. No cotton or anything else.

oh ok cool ill have to check and see i ordered my uhaul balket today i can wait to get it all set up

Hi. I am new to the forum and to guinea pigs as well. I do not have any guinea pigs yet but I will be getting 2 in the near future - I am just getting my research done first so I am not too overwhelmed. I have the cage figured out but I'm not sure about the bedding/litter. I have seen c&c set-ups with fleece and "litter" boxes. I have read the posts in this thread and have found them very helpful. I just have a couple of questions though... what kind of Uhaul pads do you buy? Are they the ones made out of denim (that is was I found on the Uhaul site)? And for the litter box area, you would put the bedding material? Thank you

Uhaul furniture pads and Fleece would be the best combination in my experience. I've tried towels, newspaper, and even old blankets and the Uhaul pads are the best so far. They absorb well, last over a week, dry and wash quickly, and are very inexpensive, only $8 a blanket and they're BIG! Plus pine isn't good for their little respiratory systems either, no wood is splendid really.

Towels take forever to dry when washed and since the pee never dries when in the cage, they smell fast. Newspaper is useless really, it stains the coroplast and the fleece and it takes a crazy amount of papers to fill the cage might as well buy bedding in my opinion. I used blankets too but they had the same problem as the towels too thick and smelly. With the Uhaul pads I rate everything like a 9 or 10! :) Just two layers down and some fleece and you're done for a week plus the pig's don't smell of wood and urine :melodrama

Fleece is expensive up front but lasts forever pretty much. I bought some at Walgreens for $3.99 each and at Joanns for like $5 a yard or so. I do reccomend you get two sets of fleece at least and two sets of Uhaul blankets so cleaning day isn't an all. day. process.

U-Haul: Moving supplies: Furniture Pad

I use towels and I'm getting tired of all the layering.
Do you use one u-haul blanket underneath the fleece or multiple ones?

Since this post i have switched to fleece and i ordered the uhaul blanket, i just ordered it online from the link Kimberly poster. I use one layer of each and it has worked just fine for me.

You need two layers of the U Haul blanket. I fold mine in half to get my two layers but my girls cage is too big, so I use two blankets folded and sometimes a couple of towels. The blankets shrink in the dryer. Some more than others.

The easiest is the Piggie Bedspreads! They fold over the corners so they are nicely fitted to the cage, can be custom made to size, look great, and wash up easy. Best thing I ever got in regards to piggie accessories. I got mine used but they are pricey if you buy them new. However, a bag of carefresh cost me $16 and only lasted 2 weeks or so. So they pay off over time. If you can splurge you won't regret it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.