Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Thinking of having a third Guinea Pig!

Patmai

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hey guys! I was making plans on making my little angels cage bigger and I think it can house one more guinea pig. The pet store street where I get most of their supplies mostly sell pups, though.

I wouldn't want my babies to bully or be afraid of their soon-to-be addition to their wonderland. Because the pet shops sell teenage pups they're a lot cheaper. Would it be better if I didn't get a pup? Has anyone introduced a younger gp to their older ones? How would I go about it? I'm worried about the future new comer.

Instead of buying from a pet store, I would rather adopt a homeless piggie from a rescue. That way you wild be helping an animal in need, and you'll feel good that you contributed to a good cause. :) Good Luck!

In my experience, significant age differences tend to help a smooth establishing of dominance. Our first pig, Quee, was over 4 years old when we took her in, and then we introduced her to Kwee, who was about 3 months old at the time. The introduction went very well, and they were cuddling up in the same pigloo within the hour.

We just brought home Curly this weekend, at 6 weeks old, and introduced all three...Quee and Curly settled their differences pretty fast, since Quee is so much older, but Kwee and Curly took a few days to work out their relationship, and I'm sure being closer in age was a factor in that.

But yes, as @HappyHopperz said, if you do get a new piggie, try and get one from a rescue or shelter rather than buying one from a store like merchandise and supporting the breeding mills. If there aren't any in your area, try Craigslist; you'll probably find some local listings for people looking to re-home their pigs for whatever reason; moving away, children lost interest, financial woes, etc. Though some breeders post on CL as well, so take a careful look at the ads.

I had two 1 and a half year old boars who a couple of weeks ago I introduced a young 5 week old boar to them. I think it could be because of the age difference that they all get along great, even though sometimes the little boy can be a bit to energetic for my big boys liking!

I think if you have the space and time to introduce them, making sure if things don't work out that you have enough space to house the third piggy in another cage. That if you want you could get a third piggy.

Remember you'll have to quarantine the new piggy for 3 weeks first, to make sure it isn't sick or doesn't have mites or anything it can spread to your other two piggies!

Good luck, I hope it all goes well but remember to Adopt don't buy!

See these links:
[h=2][/h] Guinea Pigs Social Life

Last edited:
Instead of buying from a pet store, I would rather adopt a homeless piggie from a rescue. That way you wild be helping an animal in need, and you'll feel good that you contributed to a good cause. Good Luck!
But yes, as @HappyHopperz said, if you do get a new piggie, try and get one from a rescue or shelter rather than buying one from a store like merchandise and supporting the breeding mills. If there aren't any in your area, try Craigslist; you'll probably find some local listings for people looking to re-home their pigs for whatever reason; moving away, children lost interest, financial woes, etc. Though some breeders post on CL as well, so take a careful look at the ads.
Good luck, I hope it all goes well but remember to Adopt don't buy!

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, guys! <:'3 Really helped me a lot--Especially @RodentCuddle's link! That's a really good idea. :)

I know about the adopting is better than buying, and I wish I could adopt, but my country doesn't really have adoption shelters (other than for dogs and cats, I think these ignorant people think those are the only pets you can have :/ ), so my only option is to buy. :(

Thank you, though! <:'3

Just wanted to ask, if the age doesn't matter, what about if the older Guinea Pig is male and the younger one is female? (I don't want to get another male, they could be fighting over the only female I'll have xD) Would that be dangerous? D:

Last edited:

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, guys! <:'3 Really helped me a lot--Especially @RodentCuddle's link! That's a really good idea. :)

I know about the adopting is better than buying, and I wish I could adopt, but my country doesn't really have adoption shelters (other than for dogs and cats, I think these ignorant people think those are the only pets you can have :/ ), so my only option is to buy. :(

Thank you, though! <:'3

Just wanted to ask, if the age doesn't matter, what about if the older Guinea Pig is male and the younger one is female? (I don't want to get another male, they could be fighting over the only female I'll have xD) Would that be dangerous? D:

Is there a way to post a notice that you'd be interesting in taking a guinea pig that someone no longer wants? I'd assume there has to be someone who no longer wants one.

Well, I'm not sure myself. I doubt anyone would willingly want to give up their Cavy in these forums, though, haha! Although, I remember someone posting in the adoption forums about needing to give up their Guinea Pig because they can't take care of it or they have a loved one who's allergic or something. :/

Not sure about posting online, either. Sounds a little difficult, if not too challenging for someone who lives (sorta) far away. :(

If you're getting a female, you'll have to get the male neutered or the female spayed. Since guinea pigs are not popular pets in your country, I doubt you would be able to find an experience vet to perform the surgery.

I just read your other thread. You have one male and one female? Hope you are keeping them separated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.