Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Thinking of fostering

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Ok, so we have one piggie. We've been thinking of offering to foster guinea pigs for our local humane society, and if they are boys we would introduce them (after 21 days of course!) to Snickerdoodle until we find one he likes as a buddy. My question is, does anyone here foster? And are you able to give them up? We were only supposed to have Snickerdoodle for 6 weeks and find him a home, but we fell in love.

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
What you are planning to do is a wonderful idea! Helping out needy pigs while you try to find one that is right for you is just the best. I wish more people would do things like that.
I foster many animals for 4 Lil Pigs n Buns. I mostly do rabbits and small rodents (rats, mice, gerbils, etc). I did try to do pigs, but I fell in love with the boy I tried.
I am thinking of making a large quarantine cage and fostering the girls that come in. We have to hold them for a while to ensure that they aren't pregnant and don't have any signs of sickness. I was quite worried about falling in love with all of them as well, but once you meet the people that want to adopt them and see how excited they are and how much they love them already, it gets easier.

3Piggles

Cavy Slave
I fostered my first two girls, though it was a way to keep them when our house was for sale and hub would have gone through the ceiling about me getting two more pigs. That was 2005. Both died in the last couple of months. We had a great run together. I would definitely do it again, and I would keep the pigs I fell in love with. Some just get to us, and others we can keep at an emotional distance and provide great temporary homes for them.

If we didn't have such a shortage of pigs around here, I would love to foster and help socialize pigs for great forever homes. I would definitely chose a rescue that had the same requirements for adoptive families that I have.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.