Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thinking about getting a hamster

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I've been thinking about getting a Syrian hamster and wanted some advice. I've already researched them and pretty much know how to care for them. And other things like diet and housing. In fact I already have a cage and accessories because over a year and a half ago I was gonna get one but changed my mind. Now I think I'm finally ready and have found one on Craigslist. The lady had a litter of Syrian hamsters. I think is was a accidental litter because she doesn't sound like a breeder. They were born about a couple days ago. So what I really want to know is what kind of medical issues do they get. I want to know before so something doesn't come as a shock.

I also know they live about 3 years at the most. I also know one syrian hamster to a cage so don't worry I'm only getting one. Also I want some experts to tell me some of the things they can and cannot have. Like i said I have researched them but I don't really trust the internet. Anything else I should know let me know because I would like to brush up on my basic knowledge.

Also is there anything thing I should ask this lady? So please any advice would be most appreciated. This forum is the only thing I trust on the internet about this kid of topic.

flutterpie

Cavy Slave
I had a Syrian. :) He was really adorable, inquisitive, energetic, and had a ton of personality. Mine liked to climb, and chew on everything in his cage. You might have to look into different beddings, some can get stuck in their fur. I used Carefresh, and when I first used it it didn't get stuck, but for some reason later bags I purchased did, which I found strange.

I don't know if this is a quirk of my hamster or if they're all like this, but mine was a super picky eater.

Mine also had a health issue that impacted the use of his back legs. The poor guy couldn't use a running wheel, so he needed a lot of time in a hamster ball to make up the exercise.