Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Thinking about adding a second level..

New Piggy Mom

Cavy Slave
I recently added to my piggy family. The two girls get along well, but also like their own space, and the new one especially likes the upstairs area where I currently have a 1 x2 kitchen area. I want to add on to my current cage and thought about just making a full 2nd floor area. However my current c and c cage already seems less structurally sound on the 2nd floor and I'm worried about what that means for an add-on. What are some good ways to make another floor that will be firm structurally for my precious girls?

Lissie is better at finding things in the picture gallery than I am, but there are several pictures in there that have used 2x2s as support for the top floor. They support the long edge of the second floor, and are attached to top of the the walls of the first floor with zip ties. The boards form a kind of floor for the loft, and zip-tying everything together makes it very sturdy.

Here's a picture of 2x2 lumber being used as support. It's actually 1.5 x 1.5 inches. It's called two-by-two because it's cut to 2x2 inches before they dry it.

Thinking about adding a second level..

Thanks, lissie, that's the one I was thinking of.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.