Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Things to look for on new pigs?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello again,

So it's pretty much 100% that we are getting two more pigs that are in a desperate situation. I don't know much about them, their housing, what food they eat, their bedding, etc. The owners know next to nothing about guinea pigs, and neither did the little girl who owned them for about 1 minuet before she got bored. For all I know, they could be in a small pet store cage, no hay or veggies, a wire floor, and tons of different health problems. So I'm wondering, while they are in quarantine, what should I be looking at/for? I want to make sure that I don't miss anything while they are there, and I add them in with my other 4, only to find out they have something.

I'd like to avoid taking them to the vet if it is possible. Not because of money or anything, but it would really stress them out, having to go there, and it also is quite far away. So if I can be the one to make sure they have nothing wrong with them, I would much rather do that.

Thanks,

The human, Fus, Ro Dah, Phoenix, Godric, and 2 more to come soon! :D

First off you will want to check their gender.

I usually treat all new pigs with ivermectin. Do you have some? It might be a good idea to treat them. That way you can be sure they will be mite free when you introduce them to your other pigs.

Weigh them upon arrival, and at least once weekly.

Look for runny eyes and nose. Any lumps or bumps. Check for drooling. Keep an eye on their poops.

First off you will want to check their gender.

I usually treat all new pigs with ivermectin. Do you have some? It might be a good idea to treat them. That way you can be sure they will be mite free when you introduce them to your other pigs.

Weigh them upon arrival, and at least once weekly.

Look for runny eyes and nose. Any lumps or bumps. Check for drooling. Keep an eye on their poops.

No, I never heard about it until I got guinea pigs, where can I find some? I'll make sure to check for all the other things too. Thanks! :D

If your getting these pigs for the first time, it's best to check their gender and separate them appropriatley that is males with males, females with females or you may end up with more pigs.

Check their feet for signs of pododermatitis (bumblefoot). How are their nails? observe for any excessive scratching, baldness, excessive flakiness. starting from their chins, feel all the way down from their chins, down their bellies, along their sides for lumps, masses, wounds, check the back of their necks as well for swelling and masses. check for any foul odors.

Look at their teeth, any debree stuck in the front, broken teeth, inflamed gums, smell their breath to check for foul odor.watch how they chew, are they dropping pellets as they eat? any slobbering. check weight.

Look at their ears, any discharge, crustiness along the edges..anything that you detect that appears abnormal...take the pig to the vet.

the new pigs need to be separated from your pigs for a period of time to prevent any possible spread of infection, mites etc. wash your hands between handling. do not treat your pigs with any medication including ivermectin except for under the advice and guidance by your veterinarian.

I would find out what diet the pigs are fed..and make the appropriate changes. if your getting males, check their anal sacs for any debree which may need to be removed. also check for any debree, ie hay, shaving in their private areas. I would observe their behavior it would be expected that the pigs will spend considerable time in their hideys until their accustomed to their new surroundings.

I would pay attention to their communication..ie excessive wheaking any squealing and anything that may elude to signs of pain or discomfort, I would get checked out. .

Well first obviously, you want to look at their nose, fur, ears, feet ect. Then look at their cage, their environment. Is it dirty? Is it in somewhere too hot or cold? Do they have toys? how big is the cage? stuff like that. Then look at the peoples house around the guinea pig cage. Does it seem suitable for a guinea pig to live around/in? That all I pretty much have and gathered while working at the shelter. Hope it helps! Good luck!

@pigsmakemesmile I've had pigs for a while (About a year I think) However this is my first time getting pigs in this way. I'm 100% sure they will be either both female, or both male, as they have been together for about a year with no babies. But I will double check. I know all about the quarantine and such. Thanks for all the info though, that will help! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.