Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Things helpful to me.

trvlpk

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

I am a new guinea pig owner and have just recently built my cage and I have found a few things helpful to me that I would like to share. These things may have been shared before in other posts, but I would like to share again. :) I will also attach pictures to this post.

First off, when I purchased my grid kit (from a second hand store) and not for guinea pig use at first it came with slides....these plastic pieces that you can attach on the inside of a formed cube to make shelves inside of shelves. I have found them very useful to steady the walls of my cage between "seams" so the walls are not bendy and flexible. I am sure they could also be used to make multiple levels within your cage, although I have not yet done so. But it leaves the possibilities endless.

Second, I have used an expandable/flexible down spout for my "ramp". They LOVE this thing and it seems to be pretty sturdy and again, since it is flexible and sticks to a certain position it seems to be a good choice for me. I am still looking for new ways to position it. for now I have it attached to my coroplast ramp. It was my way to "show" them where my upper level kitchen was as they have never used a ramp before.

Lastly, I wanted to share my kitchen design. I have reused the top wire portion of my old cage and built a coroplast box to fit inside it that has walls that are approx 10" high. this is to assist with preventing the mess. I used old food boxes and have cut about 1" wide slits across the front and windows on the sides and stuff them with hay and them clipped them to the walls of the box. I have used the pull down door as the place for my water bottle for easy refill and have a small "lip" inside near the entrance hole to help keep the litter from coming with my pigs down to the lower level. To clean this all I have to do is lift my cage frame up, take out the box, dump, wipe and refill. Pretty efficient so far.

Any questions, comments concerns are welcome. I hope this post is helpful.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Things helpful to me.[GuineaPigCages.com] Things helpful to me.

I don't have grids or much to say, just that I think your cage looks awesome. Good job.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.