Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise They keep chasing eachother?

Amour

Cavy Slave
Hi there,

I'm a new guinea pig owner and my guinea pigs tend to chase each other around their purple little igloo looking home all the time. They look like they don't like each other when they're doing it and often make noises while they run around trying to chase each other. Could they just be aggravated with each other? Or are they maybe exercising?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
They aren't probably exercising.

They are probably asserting their dominance towards each other and I wouldn't worry about it. Are they girls? If so I would just monitor them. If they are boys, be on alert in case blood is shed and then you will need to separate them. Also, please don't use Pigloos unless they have 2 entrances/exits.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
They aren't probably exercising.

They are probably asserting their dominance towards each other and I wouldn't worry about it. Are they girls? If so I would just monitor them. If they are boys, be on alert in case blood is shed and then you will need to separate them. Also, please don't use Pigloos unless they have 2 entrances/exits.

Girls can cause blood shed too, not just boys.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Girls can cause blood shed too, not just boys.

Yeah, I understand. I have definitely heard more cases in boys though. But either way, be on alert at least.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Also, please don't use Pigloos unless they have 2 entrances/exits.
Uh...oops. Quee has had a single-entrance plastic pigloo for over 4 years now, and we got another one for our new pig. Waste of money, as it turns out they both tend to cuddle up in the same one anyway. ;)

That said, they seem happy with the pigloos the way they are. Out of curiosity, why do they need two entrances?

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
That said, they seem happy with the pigloos the way they are. Out of curiosity, why do they need two entrances?
If they are fine with sharing, it's ok to leave it like that.

If they are chasing, blocking each other from getting in and out, it's better to have two entrances to prevent fighting. The more submissive one can run away without being blocked.

Amour

Cavy Slave
They're two boys, and seem to almost be playing at times. I haven't noticed them nip at each other, but Lissie brings up a good point about them blocking the entrance to the Pigloo (hehe, first time I used that word. :p), but they also do sleep together in the igloo as well. Sooo, I'm not sure what to do. We're going to be buying them a new cage (bigger, preferably with two levels), and getting them more toys, another igloo, and what-not so they're comfortable.

What do you guys think about fleece as a substitute for wood shavings?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.