Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The wonders of shedding

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Just thought I would share a little on the wonders of guinea pig shedding.

I thought I had pink eye. So to keep our son from catching it I went straight to the ER. When I got there, the ever so nice doctor started washing my eye out. Then he tells me that it isn't pink eye. That in fact I had a loose hair from one of my guinea's that had inbedding into my eye lid. OUCH!! He then used hemostats to loosen the hair so he could remove it. Then the awfull part. He used the dreaded hemostats to scrap the sty to help with the infection. So I ended up having to put ointment in my eye six times a day and also wear a eye patch that I can't wear. I am allergic to the adheasive in the tape. So I am having to be real careful not to get anything near my eyes.

Even with the eye thing and the allergies to the piggies, I would not trade them for anything in the world. I love them all so much.

Just thought I would share my experience with everyone. Hope all has a wonderful day. I will update with my follow up appointment. It is on Wednesday afternoon.

pringles70

Cavy Slave
I think walmart sells eye patches that dont require taping. At least they used to sell them by the pharmacy. It's certainly worth checking out anyway. Sorry about your eye trouble and good luck.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Well the doctor said my eye is looking better but I still have to wear sunglasses and eye patch until my eye is completely better. He also said not to have the piggies right up near my face. But it is alot better today then it was yesterday. So all is good. Hope everyone has a good evening.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
awwww!
Feel better!:)

pringles70

Cavy Slave
No matter what I do my piggie crawls up under my chin and sniffs my nose, so I would be out of luck if it happened to me.

Furry's Friend

Cavy Slave
You poor dear! Sounds miserable. That piggie hair is hard to keep under control in my house. Hope you are feeling much better today.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your kind words. It is harder to keep the piggies away from my face than I thought. They are very persistant! But when I have the patch on Luke runs from me. He acts like he don't know me! It is actually kinda cute. But I feel alot better today.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your kind words. It is harder to keep the piggies away from my face than I thought. They are very persistant! But when I have the patch on Luke runs from me. He acts like he don't know me! It is actually kinda cute. But I feel alot better today.

Glad you're feeling better. They probably want to be close to your face because they know they aren't supposed to be! I had to laugh about Luke running from you when you have the eye patch on!lol That is definitely cute.