Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

the new guy is here! pictures of my boys

aloren

Cavy Slave
So I picked up the pig formerly known as Hershey. As soon as I saw him, I knew his name was Fabio. All that gorgeous, long flowing hair! Quite the handsome boy!
I am sad to report though, that Fabio came to me in some pretty bad conditions. He is in desperate need of a nail trim. His nails are curled over, and they keep getting caught in the fleece in his cage. He came to me in a filthy, small cage with a pigloo, cedar shavings and a wheel, which we promptly removed. I cleaned everything out and he is now in a quarantine cage. He has never had a vegetable or fruit in his life according to his former people, all he has had was Hartz brand pellets. He has already learned to love hay (he has almost cleaned out the hay rack in a matter of 3 hours) and has been taste testing the bowl of veggies and fruits I put in for him.
He has an appointment on Tuesday for an all-over checkup. I am waiting to get his nails trimmed till then, cause he is very skittish and squeals when I pick him up. I am hoping it isn't a mite problem, but I am thinking he is just not sure about people. I have the sad suspicion he has spent his first year of life in his pigloo with nothing but pellets and a bottle of water :(
Ok on to the pictures. I have never shown off Cookie, so I have a pic of both of them.

Cookie during floor time:

cookie.jpg

The best pic I could get of the new guy, he is still skittish and I didn't want to push the issue:

fabio.jpg

Thanks for looking!

pignewton

Cavy Slave
He is gorgeous. Im so glad he has a new and wonderful life ahead of him!

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Fabio and Cookie are very cute pigs. I am glad to hear Fabio has found a loving home. :) Hope hes healthier than what it seems.

heatherbunnie

Cavy Slave
They're both cuties! I bet Fabio is overwhelmed with how good his living/eating conditions are now. I hope all goes well with his vet visit!

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Wonderful name! Happy new life Fabio!

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Fabio is such a cute name and such a cute pig as well. So is the other one to. I'm glad to hear he has a good home now.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
The fact that you named your new guy Fabio just made my day! Congratulations, you have two very handsome piggies!

Fay

Cavy Slave
Yeeey! Pigtures! Cookie has grown since last time I saw him, Such a cuty! and Fabio is just gorgous!

I'm so sad to hear about the condition he came in and lived in. I just can't stand people who care so badly for animals like that.

Anyhow he's in a great home now! I hope everything goes well at the vet and that he gets his nails clipped and such. Perhaps it would be a good idea to treat for mites anyway just to be sure, Ivermectin will not hurt him if he doesn't have it.

I guess best thing to do is after leaving him alone for a day so he can calm down and settle in. Start spending a lot of time bonding with him and luring him with food and hope he will turn around over time. Don't expect miracle changes right away though as he was neglected for so long.

I'd also say be a bit careful with giving him too much veggies and new pellets the first few days, building it up slowly because his stomach will probably get very upset after a year of poor quality food.

Anyways, You must feel really great being able to safe a pig like that, your his hero!

Keep us updated!

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Congratulation and thank you for taking him in....what a lucky piggy!! Keep us updated with taking him to the vet.

MinnieMay9

Cavy Slave
He is so cute! And I do think the name Fabio fits him a lot better! ;)

JarBax

Cavy Slave
What handsome chap! I too am sorry to hear about the awful circumstances he was first brought up in - but just imagine how good he will begin to feel Once he settles down into his new life with you and Cookie! Ditto what Fay said re. veggies and fruit - just a tiny wee bit at a time - until his delicate tum gets used to fresh food. So glad he's enjoying hay - he can have as much of that as his heart desires!

Good luck with the vet visit on Tuesday. I wonder if you might give him a trim at some point too - though his hair doesn't look too bad in the picture, he may get a bit wet and wiffy around the rear!

Keep us updated on his progress!

Fanch

Cavy Slave
Congrats, hes such a cutie.

aloren

Cavy Slave
Maybe it's just my imagination, but I seem to be already making a bit of progress. He is taking veggies from my hand. He is in the study right now in quarantine, so I let him out for floor time right there in the study with the door closed. He did ok but had a hard time with his nails and the carpet. I bought some flannel for his cage until I can get them clipped, they would get snagged on the fleece. I am considering skipping floor time tomorrow because I am scared of him breaking a leg when he tries to pull his leg out of the snags in the carpet. He will have his nails clipped at the vet Tuesday.
I have to chase him around the cage to hold him but when I get him he lets me scratch and rub him and he talks a little bit. I just love love him!
I made my first cuddle cup last night and gave it to him. He took right to it:

p1010093.jpg

I hope he recieves a clean bill of health on Tuesday. He is such a sweetie!

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Aloren, your new little piggy is looking great and sounds like you and him will be great together. Oh, BTW, I will be more than glad to let you make me some of those cuddlecups. You did a great job on it. He looks so comfy in it.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Great cuddle cup & happy piggy. I am so glad Fabio has you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.