Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The nerve of some people!

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Friday night I had company over and me and my best friend were sitting on my couch (faces my front door) and I see a car stop at the end of my driveway. I get up and walk to the front door and as I open it, I see the door of the car open, and a dog shoved out. :mad: I don't know what color it was other than dark, and have no clue what make it was, I was so in awe, and unbelieving of what I was seeing, that I couldn't think to run out and get a better look or attempt a tag number in time. We aren't talking a long distance...from my front door to the end of my driveway is exactly 75' so I feel pretty certain whoever it was absolutely saw me standing there as they tossed their dog out "at my doorstep". What nerve people have!!! I am pretty po'ed about it. It is Christmas, I already have the extra financial obligation of presents for my two boys and 8 nieces and nephews. I already own and have to feed/provide vet care for 7 guinea pigs, 1 chocolate lab, and 3 cats. I have a neighbor that moved away and left their 2 dogs behind, so half the time I have them here eating and now someone felt I needed their dog more than they did. Thanks a lot, I have enough on my plate already! Sheesh!

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want rid of this dog. She appears to be a mix between a large rat terrier and a blue heeler--with rat terrier being prominent. At first we thought she was a puppy because of her playfulness, but after checking out her teeth, they are a bit dulled making me think she is over a year old. She is such a sweetheart. When she first came running up the driveway she was petrified. We think she might have been beaten before because when we attempted to reach down to her she would coward away and tremble. She didn't look like she had been fed in days, her gut was sunk in and her ribs were starting to show. After feeding her a couple of meals she has perked up and is friendly as can be. She follows our every move if we go outside, if we leave in the car she wants to jump in and ride--then she wants to chase us when we don't let her go. She is right on my labs heels enthused with his every move, and curls with him to sleep. I cant believe how much she has fattened up in just a couple of days. It is really such a shame that someone was so uncaring of her and her needs.
The problem is, I can't keep this dog. She doesn't eat all that much, but that is the easy part... I can't afford another animal to worm, feed, take to regular checkup and shot vet visits, nor to go have her spayed. URGH.
My MIL listed her on freecycle for me, but so far no response or takers. I am really hoping I can rehome this girl, otherwise I am going to have to deliver her to a shelter and It just makes me ill to have to do it.

I have never surrendered an animal, and it urks me to have to walk in and do it now. Even though I know this is no doing of my own, I have a hard time believing anyone at a shelter is going to believe that, and I don't like the thought of anything thinking I am putting my burden off on them. I have to draw the line somewhere. I have taken in so many adoptive animals and strays that have been dropped off on my road so many times, and I am all full up now. I just had a rottweiler die this year of long going health problems. Someone had dropped him off at my house in the middle of the night when he was only a few weeks old and I didn't know it--he was hiding under my car. When I backed up to leave my home the next day, I ran over the little guy. I spent a fortune in vet bills on him over the next 5 years, treating the permanent damage from my running over him.

*big sigh* I don't guess I am saying anything that requires a response, I just needed to scream about it for a minute, get it off my chest. I hate to think this girl may never find a forever happy home, and I feel guilty that it can't be here.
I probably feel more guilt and emotion over this, than the A---ole that shoved her out that door a week ago. Heartless people make me sick.

I dont know what to day except that I am so sorry for your situation. May the people that dumped her rot in hell.

Oh, man! What evil people! A friend of mine sees stuff like that happen all the time-she's got a barn full of cats because, according to her, some KKK members threw them in the lake behind her house. (Naturally, it was KKK members that did it, because they are the most evil people in the world, and only the vilest of vile could throw kitties in a lake. Oh? Did I just offend KKK members? I'm so SORRY.)

Anyway, it was clearly much more difficult to take the dog to a shelter than to your house, so they just had to go with the lesser inconvenience.

Keep us updated!

I was in a similar situation a couple weeks ago when a stray puppy came running up to me at the buss stop. I had to take him to the shelter because my apartment doesn't allow pets. Turned out that the people there recognized him and knew where his owner was (*whew*).

My suggestion would be to try and find a no kill shelter if you can. And perhaps put up fliers at grocery stores to "advertise" for the dog. You can also put up a free petfinder ad too. Maybe someone will take notice.

Even though you can't keep the dog, I'm thankful that she ended up with someone willing to take her to the shelter. She could be roaming the streets, risking starvation, disease, more human cruelty or getting hit by a car. At least now she has a chance of being adopted out into a new home that is safe and healthy for her.

Unfortunatly the dumping of pets is a common practice where I live because people are too cheap and uncaring to drive 1 hr to the closest shelter. Its the responsible animal lovers like us that end up taking the load.

It may not help much, but I think you're a wonderful person for giving her the chance at a new life.

You should try to find a no-kill shelter or a private rescue. I can't imagine being in your situation. I got a cat dumped on my soor step about a year ago. The cat was declawed and neutered so it maked me wonder who would spend that much on a cat only to dump it on someones porch. Fortunately a neighbor was looking for a cat and took it a few days after I found it.
I hope you find a home for your dog. Good luck!

Even though you can't keep the dog, I'm thankful that she ended up with someone willing to take her to the shelter. She could be roaming the streets, risking starvation, disease, more human cruelty or getting hit by a car. At least now she has a chance of being adopted out into a new home that is safe and healthy for her.

AMEN! I was just thinking the same thing while reading this. THANK GOD that dog was brought to YOU, instead of someone with no heart. (Believe me, there are far more of them, then us!) I think that dog was dropped off exactly where it was meant to be. Sorry for the inconvenience, but bravo for having a heart!!!

Can you provide us with an update? Did you find a no-kill shelter?

I haven't attempted to find any shelters as of yet. Right now I am trying to fatten her up a bit, and attempting to rehome her on my own first, before I resort to a shelter.
We haven't gotten any responses on Freecycle, but I am going to post a sign at a nearby store, at my vets office, and on Craigslist and see how that goes.
Thanks for your replies, it is just so frustrating. I suppose she did wind up one of the better places she could have. If they had shoved her out next door at my inlaws it would have been bad--my FIL is a hateful man that probably would have killed her rather than bother with anything else.
I'll try to get pic of her tommorrow when it isn't pouring rain. She has really come around and is putting weight back on.

Petfinder.com has an area where you can post free ads. That's where I found a new home for my sister's dog when I was adopting her out. Good luck.

It is wonderful of you to take her in. Even if you do not take her to a shelter, you might want to a vet that has a scanner for a micro chip. She may have been stolen or it may possibly lead you to the owner if they dumped her. I am sure you would have already noticed if she has a tattoo in her ear or on her tummy. Also a found report to the local shelter would be helpful. I know it sucks thinking of taking an animal to the shelter but they can generally get her seen by a larger number of people, get her up to date on vaccines and make sure she is spayed.
About her teeth, my sisters rat terriers are forever chewing on rocks and wear their teeth down very quickly.
I hope she finds a home soon.:)

Yeah I am beginning to question the adult vs puppy part. I woke up this morning and the little turkey had ripped paper all over my porch and front yard! ACK! I cleaned the guinea pig cage out last night and had put all the old newspaper in a garbage sack and sat it on my porch... yup, newspaper all over the place this morning. *sigh*
Thats the first time she has acted up, and she must have known she had been bad because when I walked outside before I even got a word out of my mouth she had tucked her tail and ran to hide lol

So give us an update!!! :silly: I'm dyin!!!

Yeah I am beginning to question the adult vs puppy part. I woke up this morning and the little turkey had ripped paper all over my porch and front yard! ACK! I cleaned the guinea pig cage out last night and had put all the old newspaper in a garbage sack and sat it on my porch... yup, newspaper all over the place this morning. *sigh*
Thats the first time she has acted up, and she must have known she had been bad because when I walked outside before I even got a word out of my mouth she had tucked her tail and ran to hide lol

HAHA! She says "I DIDN'T DO IT! I WAS FRAMED!!!"

I had forgotten about this post.
The update is, I don't know :( When we were gone from home, we would put a gate up to keep her on our porch. We came home one night from a friends, the gate was taken down, and she was gone. I don't know if the owners got a case of the guilts and came back for her, or if someone else stole her. She has been gone for about 2 weeks now.
Oddly enough, my inlaws pit bull disappeared from their yard a week before this, too.
Has me a little paranoid, so I have been keeping my lab in the house at night.

These are the only pictures I managed to get of her before she disappeared. I have a large plant pot by my front door, and she took up sleeping in it. hehe

What a cutie! I never responded to this thread before, but I have to say, pretty sad ending. I hope she's alright. The other missing dog definitely has me a bit weirded out. Definitely keep an eye on your lab. I hope no one bad took her (dog fighters or "white van-ers") or the pitbull. Maybe she simply "escaped"?

Well, hopefully she's happy in a new loving home. Keep us updated if you find anything out (about her or the pitbull), or see them again!

She didn't escape on her own. I have one of those spring pressure baby gates, and it had been sat to the side. If she had somehow knocked it down to get out, it would have fallen down my steps. Someone had to have moved the gate, but who is beyond me.
I thought maybe someone came by, moved the gate to knock on my door and she got out, but that kind of doesn't sound right to me because in the time she was here, she never left my yard, and no one has mentioned stopping by. It is just strange, but I sure hope wherever she is, she is taken care of.

I hate to even mention this, but where do you think testing labs get their animals? Please always keep your pet on a leash when outside, or at least watch them, especially given the fact that your neighbors also had a dog disappear. That's what usually happens when the evil animal testing people go out "scouting" for new recruits - they'll hit a whole neighborhood. I'd hate to hear that you lost your lab, too. Poor animals... :sad:

That is SO sad. At least she got to be with some kind people for a little while, and she knows where you are; if she escapes from wherever she is now, she may come back to you.

I thought animals were bred specially for testing labs...that what our teacher told us anyway, probably to keep us treehuggers in class vaguely content that the animal population will not disappear because of them. Maybe that'll put your mind at best a little.
That's a rather sad ending but hopefully she's happy, wherever she is!

I thought animals were bred specially for testing labs...

They get them from several different sources. People's yards, shelters, breeders, and yes, they breed their own, as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.