Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece The Fleece Project: The Study

LoveMyPiggies23

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for all this wonderful information!!!!! I Just posted a huge thing with questions abotu fleece, guess that will teach me to look around the forum before jumping out there with all my questions. I am sure most of my questions already have answers posted somewhere around here.

Again thank you so much!!!!!

Brianne

Cavy Slave
What's the best material to use under the fleece?
I saw these:
Sham-Ease™ Super Absorbent Shammy Towels (8-Pack) - Bed Bath & Beyond
that are similar to ShamWow, and wondered if sewing these onto the fleece, as well as having newspapers under it would work well? I heard of the Zorb but don't want to order online. What does everyone find works best? I don't have a lot of money to spend on it!

piratehalfe

Cavy Slave
I got my fleece today. I plan on making a cage tomorrow but instead of the cubes I am using shelving instead. My question is this. Should i put the cage on top of the fleece or should I put the fleece inside the cage and have it come up the wall and secure it there? I couldnt find coroplast so im just going to use the fleece, then towels underneath that and I got a shower curtain liner for underneath that so it wont ruin my floor.

piratehalfe

Cavy Slave
We use dryer balls in our dryer instead of dryer sheets. I have loved using them! I get fluffy laundry with no static, and there are no chemicals involved! I think I bought them at Walmart.

Love the idea of quilted fleece!! I am going to see what I can throw together for my piggies. I can't wait to be done with kicked up shavings!

Ive also heard of using tennis balls in the dryer. Not sure if it would work but you could try it.

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
You can always use binder clips to clip it to the wire grids since you have a C&C cage, or you can use velcro:)

violaroo

Cavy Slave
This is probably a silly question, but I am just curious if there are any risks to the washing machine? I will be using machines that are not mine and I don't want to break anything. I read how some people have problems with fur sticking to the fleece, but also should I run an empty load after washing the fleece to "clean" the washing machine or is that not necessary?

IrishCavyLuva

Cavy Slave
I wish I could still use fleece :(
I had fleece in their old cage, which was a good bit smaller then their new one. My parents think fleece is dirty and unhygienic since I had to clean it all out every other day and it smelled after just a few hours. I have to use wood shavings now and hate it, it is so messy and sticks to everything.

Wigglesmom

Cavy Slave
I love this idea and am looking forward to trying it ASAP as a replacement for the wood shavings (though Scotchie loves to run through the fresh shavings pile when I first dump it in :cheerful:) Anyway, as a liner, how about this? We've been using waterproof crib liners (2 for $11 at Walmart) for floor time - they work great and wash well. I'm thinking of using them under the fleece.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
I love this idea and am looking forward to trying it ASAP as a replacement for the wood shavings (though Scotchie loves to run through the fresh shavings pile when I first dump it in :cheerful:) Anyway, as a liner, how about this? We've been using waterproof crib liners (2 for $11 at Walmart) for floor time - they work great and wash well. I'm thinking of using them under the fleece.

Yep I think this is fine. :)

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much!
I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong before!
Thank you soso much! :D

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
Great info! im soon building a C&C cage and have decided to use fleece! I thought about attaching the fleece to the coroplast with velcro. I am wondering if this is a good idea or would it bad for my piggy? She doesnt really chew on things but of coarse she is ver curious. lol

Michele

Cavy Slave
I hope this will assist someone looking into fleece bedding.

I have 3 piggies for the last 18 months. From the beginning I have used fleece bedding and I wouldn't use anything else. It's more costly to begin with but much easier to clean and it's reusable and the piggies have no allergies to it at all, that makes it a winner all around.

I have used two different types of fleece. One was the 100% polyester type recommended here that I did not care for because it made the piggies urine puddle up no matter how many times I washed it. The other was a thick fleece that feels like felt that is more absorbant that I purchased from Wal Mart. I much prefer the fleece that absorbs just a little. It drew the urine straight down and my piggies were left clean and dry.

The Best and Easiest to clean fleece bedding is one that is custom made to fit your cage like a fitted sheet fits a mattress. I've thought of making these to sell if enough people were interested?

Anyway it's a bit of a chore but well worth it to either make these or pay someone make them for you. You will not ever again have to use binder clips or any other type of rigging to get your piggies bedding to stay in place. And there is no burrowing underneath either. It's easy to clean stray poos off the top daily and you only have to completely change the bedding a couple times a week.

This is much easier for a plain rectangular bottom but I have made all sizes and shapes too it's just more complicated if you have to do that.

#1 Measure your cloroplast cage bottom write down the length and width plus add an inch extra.

#2 Measure the side edges length and width plus and extra inch, write it down.

#3 Take your side width and double it and add and inch extra (example; if one of your sides measures 42Lx5W, take the 5wide and make it 10 wide and add and inch that equals 11inches for the width.

#4 Take a piece of elastic and stretch it all around the cage comfortably, cut this piece and put aside you'll use in a minute.

*Take your cage bottom measurements and cut two pieces of fleece the length and width you wrote down. Example: your cage bottom measures 42"x28" so you add and extra inch to each side making it 43x29. (The extra inches your adding is to allow for sewing the seams)

*Take each side measurement length and width add an extra inch to the length and double the width (because this will wrap completely over the edges so the piggies can't nibble the cloroplast.) For example; if one of your side lengths measures 42"Lx5"W you make the final measurement 43"Lx10W+1inch extra EQUALS 43"x11" piece.

Do each piece this way.

*Sew the double bottom pieces together at edges.
*Sew each side piece together at edges
*Sew bottom piece to side piece
*Make a tube/casing at outer edge of edge piece and insert elastic

What you end up with is a custom fitted cage pad that fits exactly the dimensions of your cage bottom, wraps completely over the edge and down the other side. It fits like a fitted sheet fits a mattress. It doesn't come off until you pull it off for cleaning. The piggies don't burrow under it. They don't nibble the plastic because they can't get to it. The padding is thick enough on bottom with the thicker fleece that I don't need any other padding underneath. The whole thing just pulls off, take outside and shake out, toss in wash. Wala!

Seriously, if enough people didn't want to mess with doing all this I would consider selling them. All a person would really need is Two fitted pads, one for using now and one for use when the other is being washed.

Michele:)

Michele

Cavy Slave
P.S. IF you have several piggies sharing the same space and you find you do need something extra to help absorb the urine, I have used the generic ShamWow's and they work great under the fleece.

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
What is blizzard fleece and does it wick good? I buy anti pill, but do not know what blizzard..

Crystal520

Cavy Slave
Thank you sooo much for this information! After my next pay day and when I build my girls a C&C cage, I will invest in some fleece!

Ameliesfish

Cavy Slave
I am so glad that someone made this post. I have been using yucky newspaper and carefresh bedding for the last couple of years and honestly it drains me of a lot of money. This was helpful for not only me but I'm sure my pigs too. As soon as my new cage arrives you can bet that I will be trying out the fleece and towel method. Thanks!!!

Crystal520

Cavy Slave
Ok just so I go this right.....do you wash then dry then wash then dry then wash and then dry??? Or do you wash 3 times in a row and then dry?

I will be getting my girls their fleece as soon as I get the supplies for their first C&C cage this week!

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Wash, dry, wash, dry, wash, dry. At least, that's how I did mine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.