Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty The boys are fighting

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I was told this morning that the boys are fighting, it seems they are going into puberty. The littlest one even made the muggle cry out. The were purchased from a feed store on the same day, I assumed they are from the same litter. I was told huggle cornered muggle in one of the cuddle sacks, should I remove them as they work this out? I was going to look at two 3 1/2 year old males(bonded) to adopt, I guess I will hold off on that now. The cage is a 2x5 with a 1x2 bedroom area and a 2x2 kitchen. I have used three packs of grids, I will go out looking for more today so I can make the bedroom bigger and maybe extend it to a 2x6 encase I have to wall them apart. Would bring two adults make it worse or better? Or just follow my instinct and hold off. How long does this last for if its just dominance being established?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's just part of boarly puberty. Unless there's bloodshed or one pig is being harassed to the point that he can't eat, leave them alone.

But do take out any hideys that don't have two doors, including the cuddle sacks. You don't need any place (ramps, hideys, whatever) where one pig can trap another. Also, boars seem to do better in wider cages rather than long and narrow. So if you could expand their running area to a 3x4 or a 3x5, that would be good.

Are the bedroom and kitchen lofts, or do they take up part of the 2x5 area? If they're part of the 2x5, and are divided off by grids, I'd take the grids out. They need room to zoom around, and they couldn't care less about a bedroom area.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
It's just part of boarly puberty. Unless there's bloodshed or one pig is being harassed to the point that he can't eat, leave them alone.

But do take out any hideys that don't have two doors, including the cuddle sacks. You don't need any place (ramps, hideys, whatever) where one pig can trap another. Also, boars seem to do better in wider cages rather than long and narrow. So if you could expand their running area to a 3x4 or a 3x5, that would be good.

Are the bedroom and kitchen lofts, or do they take up part of the 2x5 area? If they're part of the 2x5, and are divided off by grids, I'd take the grids out. They need room to zoom around, and they couldn't care less about a bedroom area.

Nope, they are above the 2x5, the kitchen is the party patio from the store and the bedroom loft is too. The only thing in the bottom is the bent grid hidies(tent like) and a fleece forest. The bedroom is divided by grids, one with a bed and other with the cuddle sack, which I will remove and leave open. We have two water bottles and one big food dish which I will now make into two small ones with a bottle and dish in a separate area. I am assuming I should wait to get the adults then.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cage sounds fine -- it may be just their age.

Were you planning on housing the new ones with the ones you've got now? If so, they might as well all be put together now and let them work out the dominance issues as a herd. Once each pair has worked them out, they'll all be upset anyway when you put them together.

But I need to warn you, what you may end up with is four pigs, none of whom can get along with any of the others. The fact that your new pair may be bonded doesn't mean that bond will hold when you add other pigs, and they may wind up hating each other. Creating herds is just a crap shoot, any way you look at it, and you need to be prepared for all possible combinations of pigs. You're also doing it at the hardest time for your younger ones, given that they're just hitting puberty and are totally ruled by their hormones. You may be able to pull it off, but don't count on it.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Cage sounds fine -- it may be just their age.

Were you planning on housing the new ones with the ones you've got now? If so, they might as well all be put together now and let them work out the dominance issues as a herd. Once each pair has worked them out, they'll all be upset anyway when you put them together.

But I need to warn you, what you may end up with is four pigs, none of whom can get along with any of the others. The fact that your new pair may be bonded doesn't mean that bond will hold when you add other pigs, and they may wind up hating each other. Creating herds is just a crap shoot, any way you look at it, and you need to be prepared for all possible combinations of pigs. You're also doing it at the hardest time for your younger ones, given that they're just hitting puberty and are totally ruled by their hormones. You may be able to pull it off, but don't count on it.

I will wait until they get past puberty, its only fair to them.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
If I were you I would do what bpatters said, just might as well have the whole thing figured out now, like they said it will be like the two will finally start getting along after however long and then you add two more and it all is down the drain!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.