Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Thank Goodness I Rescued Him

KatzeFace

Cavy Slave
Today I brought a black and white Abyssinian home. His name is Sammy and he's a year old. I go into the woman's home and I see him in your classic "glorified litterbox" petstore cage. I pick him up and gently pet him and he bites me. No surprise there - he's covered in little bumps and then I noticed he has a big bald patch on his right side. His skin is hurting. I look at his feet- his toenails are jutting to the left and right and some of them are curling under his toes. His feet probably hurt too. I put him back in the box he lives in, which has a floor covered in some kind of wood chips. The woman encourages me to buy wood chips from a farm store because they're $4.00 a bag, and this random pellet that smells like dog food is also around the same price. He doesn't get fed hay. Ever. The vegetables she gives him appear to be at least a week past their prime. While she's talking, he was almost constantly itching his sides. She also tells me that Sammy was 3 pounds last time he was weighed, which was in November of 2011. His vet records show that in the past, he was given one Baytril injection and in November his was given a flea medication, which in parenthesis says (DOG). When I took all of this in I almost started to cry. I quickly brought him home and gave him fresh vegetables and some hay, which he ate all of it very quickly. While he ate, I cleaned his cage. The bottom of the cage was coated with a build up of urine and feces, after spraying it it turned into a foul sludge. I returned him to the cage and looked closer at his face. His eyes are watery and crusty. Luckily I already had a vet appointment set up for him tomorrow. I honestly am not sure if he will survive the night.

I hope he does OK and the vet appointment goes well.

aww poor baby glad you got him!

Thanks guys. I just feel overwhelmed by it all. I thought he looked fine in the photo (Got him from CL). I was thinking it was an adoption, but as we left I felt like I was an officer on that ASPCA Houston show, listing off all of his issues to my boyfriend. It's nice to share this story with people who understand and love pigs. As much as he's hurting, he's super friendly, eats from my hand and doesn't mind being picked up at all. Luckily, I think he'll warm up to us fairly quickly. After all he's been through, though, I'm worried the vet office will stress him out.

aww poor thing :( So sad how people can be so cruel.

What a sad story. I'm so glad you rescued him. Normally I'd suggest you wait to go to the vet until he's a little more used to his situation, but his conditions sound too bad to wait that long. The best you can do is make him feel as comfortable as you can while you're there, and hope for the best.

The worst part is is that they called themselves "animal lovers" and OH! I forgot. She said that he liked to eat pickles. Pickles!

She also said he was a Valentine's Day gift. -sigh-

@BlueButterfly - He seems pretty comfortable now, as odd as that seems. He isn't bothered by any sounds that are made, and he's moving around and such. My other pig is more timid than Sammy is and the other one has been here for a week.

The worst part is is that they called themselves "animal lovers" and OH! I forgot. She said that he liked to eat pickles. Pickles!

She also said he was a Valentine's Day gift. -sigh-
Ugh! If they were really animal lovers they could have bothered to do some research on their animals! And the only reason animals should be gifts is if the entire family (and I say this because they're mainly for kids) has talked it out and prepared ahead of time, and they just get the animal on a holiday.

@BlueButterfly - He seems pretty comfortable now, as odd as that seems. He isn't bothered by any sounds that are made, and he's moving around and such. My other pig is more timid than Sammy is and the other one has been here for a week.
That's good to hear. :) One thing I love about guinea pigs is however they've been mistreated, they never seem to let it get them down.

He seems pretty comfortable now, as odd as that seems. He isn't bothered by any sounds that are made, and he's moving around and such. .

If I were him, I would feel more comfortable being in a clean cage, getting fed properly and getting away from a crazy lady who neglected me!!! I'm glad he's doing well and I pray he makes it through the night so he can go to the vet and get well in the morning!

He's probably so happy to out of there..He probably know by the fresh veggies and hay that he it in a much better place..I'm sure if he you could understand him he is saying "Thanks for getting out of the other place"

Please let use know how he does at the vets and please post some pigture of him..

@BlueButterfly - I know. He was a surprise for her. I'm learning that living with cavies is as much if not more work (and by work I don't mean it's something I dread C: ) and I'm surprised they're even suggested for younger children. What I can't seem to understand is why he'd need a flea medication intended for dogs.

I can try to get some photos of him tomorrow, I think he's been through a lot today. Yeah, he's even acting more perky now than when he was at his previous "house". So glad to see him moving about. I put his hay in a paper towel tube, so it provides some kind of entertainment and nutrition. He had no toys...so sad.

Thank you sooo much for rescuing this little guy!! I rescued a boar last week too in horrible condition no veggie no hay in a small aquarium. Its amazing how well they perk up with some good food clean cage and some good ol loving! Good luck at the vets tomorrow and please keep us posted :)

@stacy97006 - It's good to know that you have a success story, it gives me hope. Right now the little (or should we say quite big) guy is laying down sleeping, so cute. I can't wait to nurse him back to health.

Awww it's so great that you were able to get him out of those horrible conditions. Sounds like he needs a little extra TLC. Let us know what the vet says but it sounds like mites will be one of his issues and possibly a URI. By the sounds of his cage, possible bumblefoot.

@CavyMama - I know at least one of his feet were red and it looked like almost dandruff-ish, like a callus kind of deal that you would see on a human foot. I didn't know they can get bumblefoot even though they're not on a wire cage floor.

EDIT: After reading on GuineaLynx, now I see it can be caused by rough bedding. I'm pretty sure he has bumblefoot, based on what the description is.

Oh wow, poor guy! So happy you rescued him! Are you going to attemp to trim his nails before the vet appointment?

He's the second piggie I've ever lived with, and I don't have any experience in nail trimming. I was thinking of asking the vet to do it there.

He's the second piggie I've ever lived with, and I don't have any experience in nail trimming. I was thinking of asking the vet to do it there.

I do it all the time..It;s not that hard here a video.

[video=youtube;UNAX_k2EGw4]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.