Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Texel fur

pinky

Cavy Slave
Just curious if anyone has any tips for keeping texel fur neat and clean. I have a female with gorgeous fur. I brush and comb her out daily but I find she soils her fur near her butt. I tried spot washing in the sink but it stresses her out. Her fur is so thick, it takes are really long time to dry it. I thought of keeping that under layer trimmed short, but I thought there might just be some tips on keeping it long, but cleaner. She's on fleece and I shake it out multiple times a day. She's pretty tidy so it's not a matter of laying in droppings or anything like that.

Well I never brushed my texel's fur. His pretty much formed it's own ringlets without my interference. Keeping her on fleece is a good way to keep mats from forming. Also I kept my hay in a rack, because it creates a horrible tangle otherwise. I just went through his fur every day, and ringlet by ringlet pulled out any debris. He has a haircut, now. Partially thanks to his roommate, but he looked so silly I had to even it all out.

Does she have white butt fur? Girlies tend to pee on themselves a bit more than males do, so yellowing fur is hard to avoid.

You could invest in a small vacuum, or a dust pan and broom to sweep up the poops. It's easier than pulling up all of the fleece.

Instead of washing her butt so often, maybe get a damp towel and wipe her off in between baths.

I used to vacuum up the poop but I found shaking out the fleece pads was faster and easier. I have two pads in her cage so they just walk over to the other side of the cage as I take out each pad to shake it out. Her fur is tan/yellow so it just looks dingy. I was using unscented baby wipes which seemed to keep her a bit neater but I hated putting anything damp on her fur without drying it with the blow dryer after. I don't have any problem with debris in her fur, just getting dingy and damp from urine under the layers of fur near her bottom. By brushing and combing, I don't have problems with tangles, either.

Unfortunately, sometimes that comes along with the territory of having a white, long furred animal.

I would keep it trimmed short.

Show breeders keep the fur up in curlers. I don't think that is very practical for a pet though. =)

I think I'll keep it trimmed. I have a male with what looks like teddy fur out of control.... (he resembles a Swiss+ and I keep his back fur trimmed short which keeps his fur neat.

Ah, I just assumed since mine is white and red haha.

Trimmed is definitely the easier option. I'm not familiar with the swiss cavy, but it is very cute from what I see on google images.

Ah, I just assumed since mine is white and red haha.

Trimmed is definitely the easier option. I'm not familiar with the swiss cavy, but it is very cute from what I see on google images.

Swiss look like teddies with bad haircuts. It's rough but sort of irregular lengths.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.