Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Territorial male?

HeartMyPiggies

Cavy Slave
I just adopted 2 male GP's, and they are supposed to be brothers and life long cage mates, approximately 8 months old. They originally came in a tiny pet store cage, and were in there for 4-5 days until I had their c&c cage set up the way it needed to be. During the time I had to keep them in the little cage, they shared their Pigloo just fine with no apparent finghting. Since switching them into their 2x4 C&C, Perry (the smooth haired) keeps kicking MoMo(Abyssinian) out of the pigloo. When Perry leaves the Pigloo to eat or drink, MoMo will go in, only to be chased out by Perry. Is this new behavior because of having a larger cage or is it normal? I am still keeping an eye on them to make sure that things don't escalate into full on fighting, but I am very new to these cute little guys and I am not sure what's considered "normal".

It is normal for them to figure out who'll be the boss in the new environment. Can you get them another hidey house? Preferably one that has 2 entrances/exits. Cardboard box or fleece/towel draped in the corner works well. Will one entrance to the hidey, they can block each other from getting in and out and can cause fights.

Fleece forests will also work well, they can run through them and hide in them.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/59489/

They also could be heading into puberty. Regardless of how friendly they are or whether they are brothers, during puberty they can become very territorial. Things you can do to minimise the friction is provide plenty of space, food in more than one place, and hideys with multiple exits. They need to be able to get out of each others way quickly should one begin to assert dominance in a violent way.

I just adopted 2 male GP's, and they are supposed to be brothers and life long cage mates, approximately 8 months old. They originally came in a tiny pet store cage, and were in there for 4-5 days until I had their c&c cage set up the way it needed to be. During the time I had to keep them in the little cage, they shared their Pigloo just fine with no apparent finghting. Since switching them into their 2x4 C&C, Perry (the smooth haired) keeps kicking MoMo(Abyssinian) out of the pigloo. When Perry leaves the Pigloo to eat or drink, MoMo will go in, only to be chased out by Perry. Is this new behavior because of having a larger cage or is it normal? I am still keeping an eye on them to make sure that things don't escalate into full on fighting, but I am very new to these cute little guys and I am not sure what's considered "normal".

The same thing happened with me!

Yep, I plan on using a box, I just need to find one that's suitable for their cage, I guess I should have included that in the OP lol. Thank you so much for help =]

The same thing happened here with our two males when we adopted them. They are a couple of years old and have been together since birth. They came to us in a "large" pet store cage. As soon as we built a larger C&C cage and put them in it there were a few signs of aggression. No actual fighting but lots of rumbling, hip swaying and one would always jump on top of the other. It never escalated beyond that though and a few days later they seemed to sort it out. Even now though, when I take them out to change their cage I sometimes put them in their smaller cage for the 20 minutes or so it takes me to clean and when I put them back they go through the same thing for about 5 minutes. I guess it's just to remind each other who's in charge ;). We have 2 fleece forests plus a hidey box my son made so they each have somewhere to go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.