Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Terrible Behavior

blondebabygirl

Cavy Slave
For about the past couple months my piggy has been very aggressive towards me and others. He chews on his cage all the time and when you try to touch him he starts chattering his teeth at you. He dosent like to let me hold him anymore and i dont know what to do.:weepy:

How big is his cage? Does he have a friend? How often does he get floor time? Has he been treated for mites? Has he been scratching? Have you been weighing him? Has he lost any weight? Does he have other signs of illness?

He coud be bored or lonely or even scared if he lives alone. Biting or not wanting to be touch could indicate mites.
https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

Last edited:
How old is he? Sounds very similar to another thread I read and it just turned out her boar was going through puberty. I am no expert but lots of what i have read (and am starting to experience) say that boars get very aggresive when the hit their teenage years. If it is that, you might just have to ignore him best you can and he will calm down after a while. If he chatters, ignore him and do what your going to do anyway. If he bites I wouldnt put him down right away, hold him a bit longer so he doesnt assosiate biting with being put down. If he is hitting puberty then he is gonna push his limits, like a human teenager. Mine just started and they have already chattered once or twice, nipped a bit harder then normal, etc. and in the other thread iread, the person said that by ignoring his behavior it got better. Took time, but it got better.

i agree with all the above posts, and lets hope it's just puberty. but don't overlook @lissie's advice to make sure your pig isn't sick.

A girl my pet shop surrendered to me was just like that!
She had bitten everyone, would always chatter her teeth and showed aggression to anyone who touched her.
Now, after 2 weeks of being handled everyday she is much better, still does test nibble but no more chattering. It could be puberty or he could just be like she was and handling her everyday could help.

I did have him in a 2x3 c&c cage wth a cover until he started finding ways to get out. He does live alone and i have been wanting to get another piggy but my mom wont let me...i take him out every couple of days and hold him and pet him. he will sit in his cage and chatter even if your just sitting there. he also has been biting his cage bars alot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.