Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Terra refuses pellets

Scintie

Cavy Slave
Can gps live without pellets? Terra refuses to eat pellets. When I first got her I was feeding her that unhealthy mix crap (before I knew better) she would eat the colored pieces and leave the pellets. I have since changed to pure oxbow Timothy based pellets, she still will not eat them. I always make sure she has fresh pellets, but they end up going to waste. She gets unlimited hay and daily veggies. Is her not eating pellets going to harm her in the long run?

I know pellets are the least important part of your piggy's diet, but I'm not sure if they can go without them all together. (Hoping someone else can chime in)

But have you tried incentive to get her to eat them? If she has a favorite veggie or fruit, maybe you could chop it up and mix it with her pellets. Maybe her attempt to eat her veggies/fruit will convince her that the pellets aren't that bad either.

I'm kind of going through the same thing right now. I am trying to switch my three from Oxbow pellets to KMS pellets. It's a 50/50 mix right now and all they do is pick out the Oxbow and leave the KMS...Darn those piggies!!!

I'll try that today. Thanks for the input.

Ale lives bananas so I'll probably mix a couple thin pieces of banana in with them

When I first switched from Oxbow to KMS, the piggies would pick out the Oxbow but now that we're getting down to the bottom of the 50/50 mixture, I find more of the KMS eaten :) Silly silly piggies.

I use to by the junk stuff do and my piggies would get so excited! They would eat everything but the pellets. Once finding this forum I switched them to pellets only .....they hate it!

The short answer is yes, pigs can live a totally normal life without pellets. However, it usually ends up being pretty expensive and quite difficult. It also take a careful eye for nutrition as pellets do provide quite a range of fortified vitamins and minerals that require a proper range of food to be fed. Things you will definitely need are a high quality, high protein hay, wide variety of veggies, and lots of forage.

It can be done, but I would recommend finding a pellet your piggy likes that is healthy. My pigs don't eat the recommended amount of pellets, but they get a wide variety of food and between 4 pigs will eat less than a half a cup of pellets a day.

More info about going pellet-less can be found here: https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=82

Be careful feeding too much banana, it can cause gas.

leave it in there she will eat them if she gets hungry enough it took gidget a couple of days before she would eat the new food. I dont refill the bowl till she has eaten all of it
'

The short answer is yes, pigs can live a totally normal life without pellets. However, it usually ends up being pretty expensive and quite difficult. It also take a careful eye for nutrition as pellets do provide quite a range of fortified vitamins and minerals that require a proper range of food to be fed. Things you will definitely need are a high quality, high protein hay, wide variety of veggies, and lots of forage.

It can be done, but I would recommend finding a pellet your piggy likes that is healthy. My pigs don't eat the recommended amount of pellets, but they get a wide variety of food and between 4 pigs will eat less than a half a cup of pellets a day.

More info about going pellet-less can be found here: https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=82

Be careful feeding too much banana, it can cause gas.

Thank you for the info!

I dont feed her much just tiny slivers at a time.

What about strawberries? That's another one of her favorites.

Strawberries are great, you can feed the entire thing, just don't feed them too often because they are fruits and higher in sugar. When I snack on strawberries my pigs get the tops as treats; its always fun to be able to share my snacks with my pigs.

When I give her a strawberry she goes nuts its funny to see her tiny body running around with a whole strawberry in her mouth, then she has to pretty much crawl on it to eat it

I would try mixing the pellets in with her daily veggies and make sure to include her favorites. The pellets should stick to the moisture of the veggies and she will probably end up eating them without even noticing it. Although I have never tried this myself I'm thinking ( since guinea pigs are not dumb by any means ) that she will start to associate her pellets with part of her veggies which with most piggies is the favorite meal of the day.

Strawberries are great, you can feed the entire thing, just don't feed them too often because they are fruits and higher in sugar. When I snack on strawberries my pigs get the tops as treats; its always fun to be able to share my snacks with my pigs.
I thought strawberry tops were poisinus to guinea pigs... at leasrt thats what I've read hmmm but obviously the aren't hurting your piggies so what I read must be wrong.

I thought strawberry tops were poisinus to guinea pigs... at leasrt thats what I've read hmmm but obviously the aren't hurting your piggies so what I read must be wrong.

Tomato leaves/stalks are poisonous. Entire strawberries are fine.

I would cut out all the sugary fruits for now until she starts eating the pellets. It's like offering kids sweets and something nutritious. Of course, they're going to fill up on the sugary stuff. I'd go to the diet and nutrition chart and offering up to one cup a day of a mixture of things like red or green lettuce, cilantro, radicchio, etc., plus 1/8 of a bell pepper, to get the daily vitamin C requirement and unlimited hay and the pellets. The pellets will probably seem a lot more appealing to her when she's hungry and doesn't fill up on the fruits. I don't offer fruits very often but when I do, I give it in small quantities and never on a daily basis. I don't even offer carrots every day; maybe every couple of days and only one baby carrot per pig.

I am going through the same thing, changing from a Sunseed pellet to Oxbow Cavy Cuisine Adult. I am sure when I mixed the two they were picking out the Sunseed, but now they are on 100% Oxbow. They are eating some of them but not the recommended 1/8 cup yet. They eat tons of hay and their daily veggies. My girls are pretty chunky and are getting a Vit C supplement for now so I am going to hold out and I am sure they will come around. With all the Oxbow and stone talk I am kind of happy they are not crazy for pellets. When I approached the nutrition department at Oxbow about the stone issue, Amy said if you keep to the recommended 1/8 cup there should be no problems. It would be interesting to know the quantity of Oxbow pellets the guinea pigs getting sludge in their urine are eating. Maybe those pigs are eating more than they should.

I am going through the same thing, changing from a Sunseed pellet to Oxbow Cavy Cuisine Adult. I am sure when I mixed the two they were picking out the Sunseed, but now they are on 100% Oxbow. They are eating some of them but not the recommended 1/8 cup yet. They eat tons of hay and their daily veggies. My girls are pretty chunky and are getting a Vit C supplement for now so I am going to hold out and I am sure they will come around. With all the Oxbow and stone talk I am kind of happy they are not crazy for pellets. When I approached the nutrition department at Oxbow about the stone issue, Amy said if you keep to the recommended 1/8 cup there should be no problems. It would be interesting to know the quantity of Oxbow pellets the guinea pigs getting sludge in their urine are eating. Maybe those pigs are eating more than they should.

You raise a good point. That's one of the drawbacks of housing guinea pigs together. You might have a single pig eating more than their share of pellets which is hard to control unless you separate them at mealtime. I have one guinea pig that seems prone to sludge. I eliminated romaine from their diets and switched to KM pellets but I haven't seen any difference. I'm assuming it's probably due to genetics. It's very powdery so I'm not as concerned as if it was gritty.

I also noticed yesterday that Oxbow Vit. C is "Calcium Ascorbate". Although it is only 5 mg of calcium and 45 mg of ascorbate in one 50 mg tablet, it is one more source of calcium to consider.

@SurfingPigs Great that's good to know my girls are nuts for greens and strawberries although I only give them small amounts of fruit as treats so they would probably love the tops. Strawberries are one of my favorites fruits so next time I eat the I'm not throwin away the tops I'm givin em to my girls.!

I am curious. Is this guinea pig a big pellet eater?

Yes, she is but she eats KM pellets, not Oxbow. I switched pellets last year and never overfed pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.