Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Teresa or Briana

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Teresa or Briana

Would one of you explain to me the best way in clipping a guinea pig's teeth? I've done this in the past, and was very successful with it, but never knew the proper way in keeping them still. I'm afraid I will cut their gums or tongue. I have one extremely active guinea pig, and she refuses to even open her mouth. :mad:

Please help. Thanks! :)

D

Deandraspigs

Re: Teresa or Briana

8o You clip piggy teeth? I thought they just wore down on their own, like through eating hay and chewing on wooden treats, at least that's what my pigs do, but OK, I just didn't know people did that. I thought you would file them rather than clipping them though, becuase on a horse that is what you do but whatever....I'm just rambling on...:mad: 8o

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave

Deandraspigs, I thought it was a bit weird too when I first starting raising guinea pigs. They are one of the few animals on earth with teeth that grow constantly.
I check my pigs teeth every 5 weeks or so, and if they need clipping, I'll do so. It's just so hard to clip them without snapping their tongue or gums.

B

Briana D

Star - I have no advice for you. I've heard too many bad stories about people clipping their pigs teeth. I've never had to clip any of my twelve guinea pigs teeth and I've had some for almost two years.

Guinea pigs teeth do grow constantly but with hay and pellets they should not over grown.

What makes you think you need to clip their teeth? I don't think clipping their teeth is an ordinary thing such as some clip toenails. Most people don't clip their pigs teeth unless there is a medical condition such as Malocclusion.

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave

You're right Briana, but it can be done by the owner, not just by a vet. I am convinced some of my pigs teeth grow faster than others. I have a young female cavy who had to get her teeth clipped last night, because they were very large and she had difficulties eating. My 6 year old guinea pig has never had her teeth clipped before, and they are even small. They all get a large sum of Timothy hay and pellets each day, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Not to mention fruits and vegetables. They eat more than I do :evil:

As for their nails, I let them all play on a patio I made them, and this helps to keep them down. I very seldom have to clip their nails. Don't understand why their teeth grow so fast.

Even if you are unsure how to clip a guinea pig's teeth, I think every owner should at least check their pigs teeth ever so often.

It's better to be safe than sorry, right?

:) :)

B

Briana D

Star - Have you read up on Malocclusion?

Attachments

DSC01393.jpg DSCF8192.jpg DSCF8179.jpg DSCF8073.jpg DSCF7962.jpg DSCF8060.jpg DSCF8062.jpg DSCF8115.jpg

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave

Yes Briana, but there are different reasons why Guinea Pig's teeth grow larger. Malocclusion is just one of the reasons.

Cutting Guinea Pig's teeth is not an option. It is a must. Otherwise, it is just harder on the Guinea Pig to eat.

I do have a few cavies who I have never had to cut their teeth, but I have others who have fast growing teeth and need to be clipped ever so often.

It all depends on the Guinea Pig.

Attachments

Chum Chum.jpg chum.jpg
B

Briana D

Okay. I've just never known anyone that cuts their pigs teeth regularly. True, all pigs aren't the same.

A

AngelicumCavy

you're right star

You're right Star.. Better Safe than Sorry, so let the vet do it for you or have an advice from a vet or two to make sure that this regular teeh clipping thing is possible.
But I have to say I never heard of a regular tooth cutting.

<a href="https://www.theministryofmagic.org.uk" target="_new">[/b]The Ministry Of Magic</a>

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: you're right star

Angelicum, I've known how to do this for a long time, just have never known the proper way in keeping a pig still while doing it! My vet showed me how to do it the first time, and now I do it when needed. :)

A

AngelicumCavy

yeah

So you've done great of asking their vet :)
Maybe you can first train them to stand still by putting them in a higher platform (example is a tupperware container turned upside down) and let the cavy stand-still by putting a treat or pellet in front of her/him.
When the cavy tries to look in a different direction than of that the pellet, allow yourself to gently tap the head (as in gently) and let the cavy know the direction you want him/her to look at (the pellet).
Afterwards he'll realize the right thing. when he's not looking to other directions anymore you can start examining and patting his/her bodyparts and letting him/her used to stand still why your examining body parts and the mouth.
Until the time you realize that the cavy isn't moving while you're opening his/her mouth. Give the pellet if it does the right things
This training method is used for . . . (can i say this? lol) Shows, Both in Cavies and Dogs and Cats. Thats why you can see show animals stand still even the judges are actually putting their hands into a dog's, cat's etc's mouth to examine if the show animal has a perfect bites of teeth or things like that.
Cavies normally stand-still by themselves if they're in new places so do that clipping on a place that she/he's not used to.

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: yeah

Those are wonderful tips, Angelicum! Thanks! I will give that a try the next time one of my piggies teeth get too big.

Attachments

P5220064.jpg
A

AngelicumCavy

tips

you may want to start the training now, so that when your cavies teeth got long he/she knows what to do by that time

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: tips

Great idea! Thanks again. :D :D :D

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: tips

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Malocclusion is just one of the reasons.

Cutting Guinea Pig's teeth is not an option. It is a must. Otherwise, it is just harder on the Guinea Pig to eat.

I do have a few cavies who I have never had to cut their teeth, but I have others who have fast growing teeth and need to be clipped ever so often.

It all depends on the Guinea Pig.

In fact, very few people actually trim their guinea pig's teeth. And yes, it IS an option, NOT a must. Some are longer than others. You risk splintering the tooth doing it yourself. BUT, the bigger problem I see with this advice, is that guinea pigs have <strong>20 teeth</strong>, not just the 4 incisors in the front. IF a guinea pig's front teeth need clipping, then odds are they may be having problems with their molars as well. It is very difficult for a vet to even see the molars, let alone properly trim them if necessary, and in the US, about 98% of the vets, require the guinea pig to be put under to trim and file molars. The problem with maloclusion is usually with the molars, not the incisors.

For more info see: guinealynx.info/teeth.html

A

AngelicumCavy

l

I think you better not do it again SCL.

You're contrsting to a quote you yoursefl is putting.

quote:
I've done this in the past, and was very successful with it
then you said:
but never knew the proper way in keeping them still.

quote:
It's just so hard to clip them without snapping their tongue or gums.

quote:
Angelicum, I've known how to do this for a long time
then you said:
just have never known the proper way in keeping a pig still while doing it!

How come you knew it for a long time if up to now you don't know how to keep them still?

My tips are for that keeping still thing, as for that rimming, sorry I dont have a knowldge for that field. :eek:

Attachments

DSC00788.jpg

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: l

Thanks Teresa. I was unaware of a few things you said, however about 1 or 2 years ago, I failed to notice one's large teeth, and the guinea pig was laying on its side shaking. Couldn't take it to the vet, because it was late at night, and when we observed inside of its mouth, the teeth were very large. We were convinced that the pig was starving, so we clipped his teeth. He started eating a few hours later. :mad:

F

Falcon The Lancer

Re: l

My neighbor who is a vet, told me when my piggie broke his teeth that her only concern was exposere of the center root of the teeth (or something like that)
that might ring some bells by someone more experienced than me......

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.