Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives Tempered Hardboard?

dakotaw

Cavy Slave
I saw on a post somewhere that some one had used tempered hardboard as a coroplast alternative. Does anyone else use this? Does it work well? Thanks!

When it gets wet it will warp and fray. You would have to cover it with something like plastic or linoleum.

I have been using it for around a month now and have no problems. I have sealed the seams/edges with duct tape and wrapped it in two layers of vinyl so I know its not gonna get wet. I find it to be cheaper and easier to find and works just as good.

I have been using it for around a month now and have no problems. I have sealed the seams/edges with duct tape and wrapped it in two layers of vinyl so I know its not gonna get wet. I find it to be cheaper and easier to find and works just as good.

What exactly is vinyl? Where do I find it? How much is it? Sorry for all the questions... :)

What exactly is vinyl? Where do I find it? How much is it? Sorry for all the questions... :)

You are fine with the questions, thats what this forum is about. :) Vinyl is like a very thick stretchy plastic I guess you could say. Its what they make shower curtains out of. You can either buy shower curtains (walmart, target etc) or look for a home building store (EI Lowes/Home Depot) near you and look for rolls of vinyl or weed block plastic for landscaping as its thick as well. just some ideas for you. It only cost me around $10 dollars for two shower curtains per level at Walmart.

You can also use plastic table cloths.

Sorry to post a question on a question but what if you use some water-proofing thing on it so it wont get wet? Instead of using shower curtains?

Sorry to post a question on a question but what if you use some water-proofing thing on it so it wont get wet? Instead of using shower curtains?

I would imagine that anything like that would pose a danger to the pigs. I would stick to the plastic or vinyl just to be safe.

Oh, okay. So you cut and score it the same way as coroplast? (last question I promise :))

Oh, okay. So you cut and score it the same way as coroplast? (last question I promise :))

No you can not score it. I had the people at home depot cut mine to the sizes I needed. So make sure you have your measurements wrote down. And I used duct tape to assemble it all and seal the edges and seams inside and out.

Marine sealer is about the only thing you could paint on the wood that will protect the wood from water.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.