Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Teeth

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Yesterday I gave Furlong some carrot and he couldn't eat it. For 10 minutes he was struggling to grip it with his teeth. So I picked him up and found that both of his top teeth are wobbly! So, what's going to happen? Will the vet be able to take them out? Are they going to grow back?

I know that I'm not going to get an appointment today and on the weekend it is closed. So, the earliest time I will get is monday. Is that ok? He can still eat hay, lettuce, coriander etc Just not pellets and hard stuff.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Hvae them check his molars, too.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
What about all my other questions!!! Will he be okay till monday? Will his teeth grow back?

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
He should be ok.

Give him pellet mash. I think you just smash up the pellets with wate,r but I'm not sure. Give him high vit c foods that he can still eat, and other things he can eat. He should be fine, but watch him always when he eats.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
They wil grow back, just chop up his veggies small. Weigh him and make sure he dosn't loose weight.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Thank you.

Do you think I should just wait for them to fall out naturally or will they actually have to be pulled out?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
He is eating fine - he's outside now eating grass. But still, my poor chub. I don't even know how much pain he is in .

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Aww, sorry Piglet! Send Furlong all of my love! I'm sure he'll get better, just make sure he eats and keeps his weight up until the vet can tell you more. Don't worry, they'll grow back. All rodents teeth do.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If they are just loose, they will probably tighten back up on their own. I don't think I would let the vet pull them out. Chatty broke her top teeth off pretty short once and I had to make sure veggies were in small enough pieces that she could eat them and she had no problems eating pellets either, but within about a month, her teeth grew back out and she hasn't broken them again since. If he can eat pellets with his teeth as they are, there won't be a need for critical care or pellet mash, but if you notice he has any problems eating pellets then you can make a mash for him.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
The thing is, I think that the teeth have cracked from the top. He's such a fussy poo, that I can't open his mouth properly.

Hmm...I didn't think that they could tighten up on their own. I will still try to book an appointment for monday to see if they are cracked or not.

I don't actually give pellets anyway, only probably once a month. I've been cutting his vegetables really small and hand feeding him.

Thank you Doc! Furlong sends back piggy kisses!

A side note...my dad fell at work and cut open the skin above his knee. He came home and told us what happened, but my mum and brother were more concerned about Furlong! They are all worrying about whether he'd be able to eat or not. My dad was not pleased! :O)

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Ok, both of his teeth have fallen out now, phew. However, you can see the "stump" of one. Will this need to be clipped back? He is still eating

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Piglet said:
A side note...my dad fell at work and cut open the skin above his knee. He came home and told us what happened, but my mum and brother were more concerned about Furlong! They are all worrying about whether he'd be able to eat or not. My dad was not pleased! :O)

lol your poor dad! And it's fathers day today!

I am glad to hear his teeth have finally fallen out and that he can eat.. hopefully now they will grow back.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
You're not going to believe it, but my dad is still ASLEEP! My brother had to go to work, so we gave his present in the morning and he just went back to bed :)

I contacted the woman again, and she said not to come in today because there is no point She said to come back in a week or two when they have actually appeared

He looks so cute though, especially when he eats.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If his remaining tooth is jagged, he probably would benefit from seeing a vet.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I don't think they are. When they begin to grow and if they do appear jagged, I will definately pop into the vets

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Oh Piglet, your pigs are on the HAFF diet? How's that working out..?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
HAFF? I don't even know what that is!

I do have a gigantic bag of pellets, I just don't feed them. To me, they don't seem that important. They get yummy veggies, hay and grass on a daily basis

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
LOL. HAFF diet is the Hay and Fresh Foods diet. Sounds like your piggies are on it, since they don't get pellets that often. It's actually healthier for pigs than being on pellets.

Wow, Piglet! You have 4,075 posts!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I know! I was looking at that today as well. I've been on this forum for ages!

The thing is, is that I have been at home for a long time becuase we have study leave for our exams. I study and make notes on the computer, so between that I'll come onto here. That's why my post count is ridiculously high.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
It's healthier eh? Wow!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.