Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior teeth chattering?

allycat

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone

I have had my new girl for over a week now. She is almost two years old. We are slowly adjusting to each other. When she is on my lap sometimes she will twitch her nose and then grind her teeth back and forth like she is munching on some hay. It seemed to happen when I talked in a soft voice to her. There was also a piece of bell pepper close by. I am not sure if this is the teeth chattering that I have read on various posts and would like some clarficiation to make sure she is not in too much of a stresfful situation and me at risk of getting a nip.

Thanks

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone

I have had my new girl for over a week now. She is almost two years old. We are slowly adjusting to each other. When she is on my lap sometimes she will twitch her nose and then grind her teeth back and forth like she is munching on some hay. It seemed to happen when I talked in a soft voice to her. There was also a piece of bell pepper close by. I am not sure if this is the teeth chattering that I have read on various posts and would like some clarficiation to make sure she is not in too much of a stresfful situation and me at risk of getting a nip.

Thanks
Both of mine do that as well even when they haven't been eating. But believe me, it is not the teeth chattering you have heard about. :eek:hmy: Teeth chattering is just that. They clatter their teeth together very fast and it will drive you crazy. (Boys just finished round three this morning and are now asleep.)
What you describe doesn't seem to be that big a deal. My piggies do it in the cage too. And they don't bite unless you put your figure right near their mouth and they have no idea if you are food or you. So I don't think it's anything to worry about, at least if it is, you and I both are in trouble. lol Me times two!

allycat

Cavy Slave
thanks for the post, I didn't think it was teeth chattering but wanted some advice from the experts as I am very very new at this!

allycat

Cavy Slave
Thanks for posting the video link . . . my baby girl definitely does not look like that! I am happy knowing it is more chewing and don't have to be worry about getting a finger chomped off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.