Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Teeth chattering

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
I've noticed in the past few days that Charlie is doing some teeth chattering when I go to pick him up. Before, he would run around whenever I would reach in to get him and eventually end up in his hidey house, so I could pick him up. Now it's the same routine, but when he gets into the hidey house he starts teeth chattering like crazy! I know this is a sign of being scared, but why now, all of a sudden? Nothing has changed in the cage or his environment (except his fleece!). Anyone experienced this or have ideas?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
My pigs do it sometimes out of the blue to, they could just be in a bad mood, or be pissed off.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I'm not exactly sure I know what teeth chattering is.
To me teeth chattering is when the mouth is in a slight smile position and their teeth would be grinding and you can hear it. Or does it look like the piggy is chewing with no food in its mouth?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
There is that, which pennick is metioning, and there is rapid clacking of the teeth. This means they are upset or pissed off.

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
Charlie's definitely doing the clacking thing. Thanks for the input, slap, glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem! Crazy pigs and their mood swings...

fawnmarie

Cavy Slave
It usually means they're mad or don't want to be bothered.

One of mine does that occasionally when I go to pick him up - he just doesn't want me to bother him at that point.

Try bribing yours with a little food (mine will cave for celery tops) or petting them gently for a minute before picking them up. Worked for me.

Fawn

Denise

Cavy Slave
One of mine does something similar and not quite sure what it is. When I am cuddling her and she seems content, she will click her teeth, almost reminds me of that noise people make with their gum while chewing or grinding of the teeth. It's really short, maybe one or two clicks now and again. Do they chew "cud" like cows?

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
I know pigs are very messy eaters, and often have food in the back of their mouths. But my guinea pigs also do a very soft tooth 'chitter' when they are content. Its not the chomping/grinding mad noise. Also, sometimes chomping/grinding can indicate pain.

Louis
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ball Lightning

Cavy Slave
My cavy grind his teeth if I'm in the neighbourhood and he wants some fresh vegetables. I am really convinced that my cavy just begs for food in a subtle way. I guess that he just conditioned it like this. Maybe it is not begging for every cavy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.