Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Taking SIX pigs in Thurs. in IL - need homes!

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
The people that have the guinea pigs come with the same ol story of buying missexed pigs from a petstore. The result is having four babies. Now the family is moving into a non pet friendly apt in a FEW days with no where for the pigs to go. I reached out because I wouldn't want to imagine where six pigs would end up in a couple days if no one was there to take them.

A friend of mine is going to be helping me out with the two females (mom and a baby.) She's taking them while on pregnancy watch.

So, I will have four males to rehome at this point (dad and 3bubs.) I'm going to want to do them in pairs. I would even consider adopting out three boys, and keeping one for myself. I want to see how they do over the next week or so before I say who I want to be in what pair.

I have 5 piggies myself, and have never taken in this many pigs at once. Wish me luck! Thank the stars above I have a very cavy savvy friend not too far away (the one taking the girls for me.)

I will update photos as soon as I can. They will be posted on Critter Corral's website (GP rescue in IL,) and hopefully the local humane society within the next week or so. I would like to try and find them a home here first with cavy savvy people if I can. If you can help, let me know. Even if you maybe live a little bit away, we might be able to get some sort of piggy transport train going to get them to you.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Good luck and I hope you can find good homes for them.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Thank you!

NEW NEWS... The mother gave birth to three more babies, so I'm assuming the other female is pregnant. I now will be taking in NINE guinea pigs all looking for homes, with possibly the other female pregnant.

If anyone can help in the area, let me know.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Re: Taking SIX pigs in Thurs. in IL - need homes! Update - NINE

Trying to update title, hopefully it shows up.

crazy4looney2n

Cavy Slave
Oh man I so wish I could take some of them little piggies.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Are the boys still being housed with the females are were the seperated after the first litter before this new litter? If not then the one who just gave birth could possibly be pregnant yet for 3rd time. I would take some of the females but I am too far away.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Well she told me that she had all males and females seperated this whole time. I was not thinking that anyone would be pregnant (maybe wishful thinking,) but apparently she just gave birth. I told her no matter what to keep all males away from the females (cept newborns of course.) She told me that they are seperated. So, I am praying the female is not pregnant for a third time. She's so lucky she didn't have any complications during the first two, so if she ends up becoming pregnant back to back three times I would seriously fear the worst to happen.

I told them that even though the younger female may be pregnant to keep them seperated 100%, so I hope she sticks to her word. I told her that the mother can get pergnant only 12 hours after giving birth!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I told them that even though the younger female may be pregnant to keep them seperated 100%, so I hope she sticks to her word. I told her that the mother can get pergnant only 12 hours after giving birth!

Females go into heat right after birth and can get pregnant again with 10 minutes after giving birth to the last baby and up to 24 hour after giving birth as their heat cycle starts when the babies are born. But if she is not lying and they are indeed seperated then she shouldn't be able to get pregnant again.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Most posts that I see say a few hours after birth, or I see a lot of people saying 12. So, I'm not sure how long after birth it can happen, but the male shouldn't even be in there while she's delivering.

For the little mother's sake, I hope she has not had any contact with any males. I was very nice to the lady, wasn't putting my emotions onto things, but was stern when it came to her understanding not to let any guinea pigs mingle. I even asked how she was going to bring them to me (since she's driving all of them here,) and I told her that even if she has to use boxes to use them. I didn't want her kids or something trying to hold them or something crazy like that, and have the sister with the boys. So, hopefully I got my point across.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Wow that's going to be crazy! You will certainly be busy! Good luck to both you and the piggies, I hope mama gets through ok and finds a great home! She certainly deserves it!

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Actually Critter Corral in the Chicago area was more than willing to take in any pigs that I can't foster myself. We also have someone about an hour away looking for pigs. So, I'm hoping between that person adopting, me fostering, and the Critter Corral they will all be able to find awesome homes.

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
WOW NINE?! I envy you. I so wish I could foster but I still live at home with the parents....when i move out I want to so bad!
Congrats and I hope there are no more little surprises!

crazy4looney2n

Cavy Slave
Fostering Question - When you foster do you take in all the expenses that come with the care of the piggies or does Critter Corral for instance help with the expenses thru donation funds?

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
It varies with the rescue, and it varies on the person. Most if not all rescues will provide the medical expenses (for any animal.) They may or may not provide the housing and diet needs, just depends on what that person is willing to do, and if the rescue has those extra resources while the animal is in your care (like an extra cage.) As far as things go with me and the Critter Corral I reached out to them because we are taking in nine pigs. So, they offered to help & take in any that I couldn't foster. Technically speaking I won't be fostering for their program, but I will be courtsey listed on their website for more exposure. All the pigs that they end up taking in from me will most definately have all their expenses covered (& placed into other foster homes that are with their rescue,) but if I had something medical come up with whoever I foster, I would most likely be covering those charges. -- So, lets say you were willing to foster for them... it would be a totally different situation from what you're doing, and from what I'm doing.

The best way to find out a rescues policy is to let them know you're interested in fostering (w/e type of animal.) They will normally have you fill out an application to make sure you're capable and knowledgable about the animal you're taking in, maybe do a home check, etc... I would ask before you foster with an organization what they would need you to do, with other animals like dogs they may require you to take the animal to adoption events. Each rescue is different, but they should all cover medical expenses. The only time they wouldn't is if the person who is fostering wants to do that to help the animal/rescue out.

I hope this all makes senes.

crazy4looney2n

Cavy Slave
Yes it does make sense. Thank you for the information. See I live in Illinois but far from Critter Corral and when I was thinking about adopting from them thought that it would be great if they had guinea pig foster homes closer to the city or North West Suburbs. I was lucky that a co-worker's daughter ended up being allergic to her new guinea pig so they offered him to me. Still I think that for others that want to adopt closer to my neck of the woods it would be nice if there were foster homes closer.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
See, that's kind of why I offered to still keep some even though they were willing to take them all into the rescue. I think that they have foster homes throughout the cities, but she said she has people in my area (Bloomington/Springfield) who have contacted them for piggies. It would be probably a 5 hour round trip if I went there myself. So, people in this area are sometimes reluctant to drive there to adopt, so I was hoping that maybe having a few here would get them adopted faster. Since there are a lot to chose from for people in that area, I figured I could keep a few boys just in case someone down here sees them on their website :)

crazy4looney2n

Cavy Slave
You are so kind to that for those little piggies:love: I think that it would help if they would mention what town each piggie is fostering in on their web site too, but they don't. It makes it harder for some people to decide to adopt if you think the piggies are very far away and maybe they are not because they are fostering somewhere closer to home.

I'd be interested in fostering in the future once my girls are older of course. Right now they are both toddlers so need lots of time and attention. I wouldn't want to neglect them or the two piggies that I have at the moment. Plus by then I will be more piggie savy so I'd be more of help to them later.

Rosebud325

Cavy Slave
Are the guinea pigs listed on Critter Corral's site/ Petfinder yet? We live in your area and are considering adopting (although it will be a couple months before we would be able to adopt). I would love to see pics and get more info on them.

Rose

Cavy Slave
Rosebud, the rescue part fell through. The person gave them to someone else...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.